Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I wanted to know when to use -ing and when that ... as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I wanted to know when to use -ing and when that ... as [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 00:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I wanted to know when to use -ing and when that ... as illustrated in following examples:

Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
a). imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
b). imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
c). that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
d). that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, and spending
e). that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.
(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 01:09
First sentence: that...

Second: -ing....

Cannot explain :)

Second sentence -ing is pretty straight forward since all the other choices are very clearly incorrect....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: -ing vs. that ... [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 02:22
The Second one is an -ing bcos directive does not take that after the word.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 03:34
Can anyone explain...even i face such prolem..is there any rule or so..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 03:54
not sure i can explain this succinctly.... but imposing in my experience is used as a description, e.g. :

The 7 foot doorman was imposing.
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were an imposing sight.

imposed is the verb:

The Central Bank imposed stricter reserve requirements in an attempt to constrain excessive liquidity.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 07:06
Q1 Refer here:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=34523
Q2 Refer here:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=33553

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2006, 01:12
According to United States Air Force officials, a cannon shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate what kind of damage can result when jets fly into a flock of large birds.
(A) shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate
(D) that shoots dead chickens at airplanes proves itself helpful to demonstrate
(E) that shoots dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful in demonstrating
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2006, 23:27
kripalkavi wrote:
quasars wrote:
According to United States Air Force officials, a cannon shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate what kind of damage can result when jets fly into a flock of large birds.

E?

I think what need to be addressed is the usage of 'that' and '-ing' form, only then we can differentiate between the two.
'that' is restrictive, which means it restricts us to a particular thing. In this case that restricts cannon toa particualr kind of cannon.
Now I think -ing represents a verb in an ongoing sense or a noun in case of gerund, what do you think.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2006, 23:40
quasars wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
quasars wrote:

E?

I think what need to be addressed is the usage of 'that' and '-ing' form, only then we can differentiate between the two.
'that' is restrictive, which means it restricts us to a particular thing. In this case that restricts cannon toa particualr kind of cannon.
Now I think -ing represents a verb in an ongoing sense or a noun in case of gerund, what do you think.

Hmmm...I agree with you on the use of 'that'.
I'm still not conviced with the explanation for '-ing' though. Can anybody clear this up for us?
  [#permalink] 12 Sep 2006, 23:40