Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I was going through this site

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

I was going through this site [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 08:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I was going through this site http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/SubjectVerb.html and came across the following

Rule :A relative pronoun ("who," "which," or "that") used as a subject of an adjective clause takes either a singular or plural verb in order to agree with its antecedent.

ex: Mary is one of the students who have done honor to the college.

(Adjective clause modifies the plural noun "students." "Students" is the antecedent of "who."

I understand the rule but the example. Can somebody please explain?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: When a relative pronoun is used as a subject of an adjective [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 09:41
learner wrote:
I was going through this site http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/SubjectVerb.html and came across the following

Rule :A relative pronoun ("who," "which," or "that") used as a subject of an adjective clause takes either a singular or plural verb in order to agree with its antecedent.

ex: Mary is one of the students who have done honor to the college.

(Adjective clause modifies the plural noun "students." "Students" is the antecedent of "who."

I understand the rule but the example. Can somebody please explain?

the sentence says ..
Mary is one in the group of students.
that student group done honor to the college.

is this what you are asking?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, CSU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When a relative pronoun is used as a subject of an adjective [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 10:30
Mary is one of the students who have done honor to the college.

students --> Subject
Adjective Clause --> who have done honor to the college

Adjective Clause

who have done honor to the college - Here Who is the relative Noun and have is the Verb.

The rule states that when a relative pronoun (Who) is used in an adjective clause the verb (have) should agree with the subject (students).

If the subject is plural then the verb should also be plural.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: When a relative pronoun is used as a subject of an adjective [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 00:32
well explained Arvindgmat and learner thnxs for sharing
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: When a relative pronoun is used as a subject of an adjective [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:50
This's helpful for me :) Very clear Thanks
Re: When a relative pronoun is used as a subject of an adjective   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2009, 06:50