Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I was too slow! 600: 44V, 31Q :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I was too slow! 600: 44V, 31Q :( [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 12:33
In most of the posts I've seen, people usually do better on quant than verbal.

My problem was that I simply took way too long on the quant and didn't pace myself. I guessed on questions 25-30 and couldn't get to 31-37. I'm guessing that this is what did me in (dismal 31st percentile on the quant).

Does anyone have any advice/resources to improve my speed? I know all the math, just takes me too long. I have 4 weeks to prepare.

Cheers and thanks for help in advance.

2Slow.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2004, 12:42
Even with guessing and not attempting so many questions you got Q44. Just practice with timing and see you will improve.

--Bhai
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 10:59
The only reason for slow speed is not being confident about what we are doing on the test. we want to double check or triple check in the first 15 mins, when its obvious that the first 15 questions will give you a headstart, its not the end of the test . We are all nervous and anxious to get on with it and finish the 4 hours.

We may not realise that GMAT Math and regular Math are two different worlds and thats where the GMAT often wins. GMAT math is not hard, its just about keeping your cool, learning the concepts very very well and applying them on test day. Dont go taking computer tests unless you have studied your errors , worked on them and implemented a strategy to avoid them in the future. Master the OG, every single problem of it and study your errors. Just doing this will give you a great foundation from where you will have learnt the ETS way by practising with their problems. After that, you can try participating on the forum or try taking the practise tests with Kaplan. Take the powerprep very close to the test date. Most of the problems in the powerprep are in the OG, but since you are taking the Powerprep close to your test date, the problems might not be as new to you. Again, dont ever rely on the practise test scores ... only take practise tests to get used to timing, the 4 hour mental torture and to build your confidence.

As obvious as it is, the only way to improve speed is to practise with a clock. Try to solve Q's under 1.5 mins to simulate the stress you will be in on test day. Yep, not fun, but i am sure after 100 problems, you will see errors you never realised you were doing and you will be more comfortable about solving problems at speed.

you should consider participating in our challenges and trying to finish as fast as possible. We had a ranking system based on time because we want you guys to work faster and faster everytime you take a challenge. this will definitely help on Test day.

If you think my advice works for you, start working on the OG and study all your errors. after you are done, come back and tell us how you are doing. If you need help at that time, we will be glad to help you with any issues you might have.

hope this helps you
Good luck
Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 11:04
BTW, your verbal score is simply awesome. Make sure you do NOT slack on your verbal prep. I cant help but think that you are the kind of guy who ends up with 730+

I sincerely hope you do.

Praetorian
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 14:42
I think I will also try the math challenge too. My quant score is dreadful! Most of it is from not finishing the final questions on the practice tests or guessing on a question if the approach doesn't come to me in a minute. After the test, I usually get all of them correct when I try them again.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 06:50
Hi 2Slow,

Try 800score CAT tests. They have a built in test pacer. I think it might help.

Good Luck! :-D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 18:49
hey, thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks for the kick in the butt Praet, I totally had plans to slack on the verbal :oops: I will make sure I keep revisiting the verbal, maybe once every couple of study-days.

I wish the AWA counted for more, I got a 6 :D
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 06:28
It is ok 2Slow, if it's just a problem of time, I think it's not the worst kind of thing you could face here. I'll face the challenge within 3 weeks, I'll take the GMAt for the first time. I am already quite stressed.

I've just done 2 strange exams :
last monday -> diagnostic kaplan on cd -> 650 :-D
today evening -> CAT1 on Kaplan cd -> 540 :no

As you can imagine, I feel quite bad about this 540 and even if it is normally harder than reality, I am quite afraid of what will happen in 3 weeks...franckly speaking, I think I got some luck in the diagnostic and I also think that I did quite bad in the CAT1 (Q33 - V26) !!! specially in SC where usually I am quite ok.

Anyway, I'll take some days to check out the answers and learn from it. Then I'll try another one next week.

I would prefer know that I would have the good answer but no time.... :roll: Don' worry 2Slow, Timing is something you can work on if you're practicing seriously...good luck :banana
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2004, 06:28