Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I would appreciate an evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I would appreciate an evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 13:07
Mr. Bodine,

I will try to make my profile concise and simple:

-760 GMAT, 99th V, 88th Q
-3.97 GPA
-BS in Accounting, minor in Economics at state university ranked about 100th nationally in undergrad rankings
-Member of competitive honors business program, which Businessweek has mentioned each of the last two years in its annual rankings as a strong program.
-Will have CPA and 2.5 yrs of work experience at Big 4 as auditor upon entrance into program at Fall of 2011 (assuming this is when I apply and that I actually do apply)
-Worked as part-time newspaper delivery manager at state's 2nd largest newspaper for two years during college. I managed a team of 70 independent contractors. Though this was part-time, the management of personnel and other skills I acquired were invaluable. I let this job take the place of EC's since I thought I would learn FAR more than in EC's.
-Completed marketing and economics internship
-Volunteered for three years as a youth mentor at my church during college (probably 3 hrs/wk)
-Might be useless, but was a two-time all state soccer player in high school and conference champion in track.

I would love to attend a top 5 MBA program, if not top 10. I am eager to work in investment finance at some point as my family has some roots in the field.

I would GREATLY appreciate a quick summary of what you think my prospects are and what I must do to improve them over the next three years. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: I would appreciate an evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 19:21
Expert's post
JF777,

Apologies for the long delay in replying; not sure how I missed your post. Your numbers are quite strong. If you're aiming for top 5 than you must be able to show a lot of leadership and impact, in and outside of work. You mentioned leadership during college, but not since. If formal leadership roles are hard to get at work then you will have 'double up' and try to wow them with your leadership outside of work. That could take the form of board membership of an NGO, leading teams of volunteers, starting an organization, etc.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog