Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I would appreciate an evaluation of my situation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

I would appreciate an evaluation of my situation [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 15:13
Hi, Linda,

I have been planning to apply to University Rochester since then end of last December. I took GMAT on 2/15 and got 780. Now that I have mailed out my application package for Rochester, my husband and I have started thinking whether I should pursue something higher? I would very much appreciate an opinion from you regarding my chance of getter accepted in a top 10 school.

I have posted my personal statement for Rochester in this thread:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 7083#87083
It kind of gives an overall review of my background. In summary, I have a good academic record, and a good mathematical and analytical ability, which can be partially shown by my GMAT score. However, I'm 38 years old, ABD, and all my working experience is with the government.

I'm thinking about Wharton. I feel that their openess toward older students and different carrer background might be a good fit for me, and I like their focus on the quantitive aspects.

Going to Wharton would mean that I need to be away from my family for the study (husband will be at Rochester). However, if it was for Whaton I would be willing to do that and my husband is supportive of that. It would mean great sacrifice of my family. But I feel if I do a MBA instead of a PhD it may be more or less easier for the kids.

Anyways, I would greately appreciate your assessment on my situation as well as any and all advises regarding what I should do to enhance the possibility that I could get in Whaton.

Thanks!

Hong
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: I would appreciate an evaluation of my situation [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 15:50
Expert's post
HongHu wrote:
Hi, Linda,

I have been planning to apply to University Rochester since then end of last December. I took GMAT on 2/15 and got 780. Now that I have mailed out my application package for Rochester, my husband and I have started thinking whether I should pursue something higher? I would very much appreciate an opinion from you regarding my chance of getter accepted in a top 10 school.

I have posted my personal statement for Rochester in this thread:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 7083#87083
It kind of gives an overall review of my background. In summary, I have a good academic record, and a good mathematical and analytical ability, which can be partially shown by my GMAT score. However, I'm 38 years old, ABD, and all my working experience is with the government.

I'm thinking about Wharton. I feel that their openess toward older students and different carrer background might be a good fit for me, and I like their focus on the quantitive aspects.

Going to Wharton would mean that I need to be away from my family for the study (husband will be at Rochester). However, if it was for Whaton I would be willing to do that and my husband is supportive of that. It would mean great sacrifice of my family. But I feel if I do a MBA instead of a PhD it may be more or less easier for the kids.

Anyways, I would greately appreciate your assessment on my situation as well as any and all advises regarding what I should do to enhance the possibility that I could get in Whaton.

Thanks!

Hong

You would be given serious consideration at Wharton. You may also want to look into Tuck or MIT's MBA programs or MIT Sloan's Sloan Fellowship. The latter is a one-year master's in Management program and is quite prestigious. Our clients who have been accepted to it are impressive people but a little older and more experienced than most MBA applicants.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 19:28
Thanks very much Linda! I will certainly look into MIT. MIT has been my dream ever since I attended Tsinghua. Tsinghua is supposed to be the Chinese equivalent of MIT. :) It may remain a dream, but who says a dream cannot come true?

Wharton's deadline for this year is already passed. I suppose I would have to wait to apply for its program next year? Or would they consider a request for extension? If I have to wait, are there things that I could do to actually boost my chance rather than to diminish it (because I would be older)?

You have been such a great help in this forum. I'm very impressed with the number of people here who have benefited from your professional experience and your willingness to help. I sincerely thank you for this. :)

Hong
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2005, 14:49
Expert's post
HongHu wrote:
Thanks very much Linda! I will certainly look into MIT. MIT has been my dream ever since I attended Tsinghua. Tsinghua is supposed to be the Chinese equivalent of MIT. :) It may remain a dream, but who says a dream cannot come true?

Wharton's deadline for this year is already passed. I suppose I would have to wait to apply for its program next year? Or would they consider a request for extension? If I have to wait, are there things that I could do to actually boost my chance rather than to diminish it (because I would be older)?

You have been such a great help in this forum. I'm very impressed with the number of people here who have benefited from your professional experience and your willingness to help. I sincerely thank you for this. :)

Hong

First of all thank you for your generous feedback. You're most welcome.
I'm glad you like the MIT idea.

It is highly unlikely that Wharton would agree to consider your application after the deadline, but I don't see any major harm if you call and ask them.

Obviously you can't stop the clock ticking. Our article on MBA Admissions for older applicantsmay be of help. My ebook, Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admissions has a lot of advice on how to strengthen your profile in the months prior to application. Clearly your academics are strong. In a nutshell, use these months to learn as much as you can about the programs that most interest you, clarify what you want to do post-MBA, involve yourself in community service, and try to assume leadership roles either on the job or in a community service venue.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 12:05
Thank you for the great advices!