Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 11:48
Hi everyone,

It is extremely interesting to read about different experience people had with GMAT. So far my own has not been too bright. A little bit about myself:

I am a non-native speaker. I have a Master's diploma in teaching Ukrainian Language and Literature. I have a 6 years experience working as an Executive Assitant in different companies (investment banking, construction). My first attempt on GMAT was a disaster. I prepared just for a couple of weeks and decided to take it just hoping for some luck :) However, with GMAT there is no luck ))) I got 420 feeling pretty shocked.

After 3 months of studying I approached the GMAT the second time - 560 (Q 42 V 26 AWA 4.5) . :-( still not happy at all since I need 650 +. I decided to change my approach to studying completely. I was reading this wonderful forum a lot trying to understand how people struggle with GMAT. I have purchased all the possible books and tests. I have finished all the MGMAT books and tests, Kaplan Verbal, PowerScore SC and CR. My practice tests showed me that I have significantly improved my score and that I am ready for the real GMAT once again:

MGMAT : 680 (Q47 V36)
MGMAT: 670 (Q45 V36)
MGMAT: 670 (Q47 V34)
GMAT Prep 650 (Q 49 V 30)
GMAT Prep 660 (Q48 V 32)

Yesterday, I had my third official GMAT and scored 580 (Q 47 V 24). ..... I don't understand how it is possible :-( this is the lowest score I have ever had on vebal. I think I have done everything with those materials available. Maybe I'm just a loser... At this point I can't even imagine taking a book on GMAT again. 3 months of working hard on GMAT and only 20 point improvement.

Guy, I would really appreciate your comments and advice. I really need them now.

Thank you,

Olga
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 12:13
Olga,
Your score is nothing to be ashamed of. Congrats on the great Quant score. Yes, your Verbal does need some work and based on your practice scores, you should be able to get in the 34-35 range, which would push your total score to the high 600s. My advice: take a few days off and relax. Don't think about the last try. What's done is done. Then maybe tackle the MGMAT SC guide again and hit the OG CR questions hard. With some more practice and determination, you should be able to get the score you want. Don't give up.
Intern
Intern
Schools: GWSB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 13:24
As perseverence said, take at least a week off and don't worry about the latest score, and resentment to GMAT will most likely fade away enough that you could start thinking about re-take.
I scored 550 on my first attempt, was quite disappointed, just like you now, and decided that I am not going to bother about any retakes whatsoever. After a week I cooled off enough to start working on the GMAT again.
A couple of suggestions, once you are ready to work on GMAT again.
[*]Have you been keeping consistently error log in your preparation? This is crucial to know, so you could concentrate on your weakest points.
[*]Different people have different learning styles. You have been doing this on your own so far. Maybe you might benefit from working with someone else - study buddy. But the key is to have someone who is as much motivated to succeed in GMAT as you are, otherwise - waste of time.
[*]Again about learning styles. Depending on how high your stakes at getting GMAT over 650 you might benefit from taking GMAT prep classes. Of course, it's more serious money than getting just the study guides, but again depends on how high are your stakes.
You know better your learning style to make use of these suggestions.
Finally, GMAT is not a "loser" litmus test in any fashion. Don't let yourself get down because of the score. You have enough achievements in your life already to fall back on to know you are not a loser. So let it go, evaluate your needs and wants about GMAT, and go for it again, if it's worth it.

http://parttimembadegree.com

Intern
Intern

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 17:45
Well, after I have taken a nice skiing vacation and enjoyed the Easter holidays I took another Gmatprep CAT and scored 720 (Q47 v41). So going for the real thing on April 15th. maybe I just shouldn't stress it, and I'll get a decent score....

Olga
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 10:45
best of luck
Intern
Intern

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 12:04
Well, have just returned from the test center: 640 (Q47 V31). I am generally pleased with the score. And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep it!
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 10:13
olfed wrote:
Well, have just returned from the test center: 640 (Q47 V31). I am generally pleased with the score. And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep it!

Congrats on the improvement!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9031 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 13:12
Expert's post
olfed wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
What did you in that month to improve?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 13:28
I went skiing for a week, then spent several days at the beach and tried not to think about GMAT. Then I slowly reviewed the CR Bible and that's all. Ironically, doing nothing helped me to improve my score. I would not advise anyone to follow my method though )) I think my problem is that on the test day I put a lot of pressure on myself. A week before the test I did a practice test at home and scored 720 (!!!). I know that I'm very well prepared but, unfortunately, can't manager the stress well enough (and I think the ability to manage stress is a part of the test). The score is not great but I'm happy with it.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9031 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 13:47
Expert's post
olfed wrote:
I went skiing for a week, then spent several days at the beach and tried not to think about GMAT. Then I slowly reviewed the CR Bible and that's all. Ironically, doing nothing helped me to improve my score. I would not advise anyone to follow my method though )) I think my problem is that on the test day I put a lot of pressure on myself. A week before the test I did a practice test at home and scored 720 (!!!). I know that I'm very well prepared but, unfortunately, can't manager the stress well enough (and I think the ability to manage stress is a part of the test). The score is not great but I'm happy with it.

Thanks for sharing! I think I can do that type of prep :wink:
Good luck! 640 is within reach of many top schools.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 09:03
olfed wrote:

Just checked in to see the progress and was glad to see the update. My goal for second re-take was >620 (not great, but sufficient for my target part-time programs), and I also fell short by 10 points :? Here is a re-cap of my re-take experience http://parttimembadegree.com/2010/02/14/gmat-test-2/. I decided not to bother anymore, just like you :)
Anyways, you are done with it and can move forward with other elements of application. There are still many ways to shine in other parts of the process. Focus on those.
Congratulations!

Intern
Intern

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 12:55
Hi gmatvit,

Thank you so much for your support! I wish you all the best with your application!

Olga
Intern
Intern

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-( [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 15:52
olfed wrote:
Hi gmatvit,

Thank you so much for your support! I wish you all the best with your application!

Olga, thank you for your good wishes to me. I actually had my last class of the first year of my part-time MBA program yesterday :-D There is still one take home exam to do, but other than that I am 1/3 through with my MBA endevour.
Good luck to you with your applications to the school of your dream!

Re: I would really appreciate your advice! got 580 on gmat :-(   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2010, 15:52