Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IB analyst working 80+ hours/week -- Any studying advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

IB analyst working 80+ hours/week -- Any studying advice? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 14:06
Hi everyone,

I am currently a first year investment banking analyst and am interested in taking my GMAT. I studied for a few solid weeks before I started work, but I unfortunately ran out of time before my score was high enough to take the exam. My last MGMAT CAT was 630 Q40 V36. Before I started studying I was at a GMATPrep CAT of 570 Q31 V38, so I definitely made some solid progress in quant. I would like to take another crack at studying and would like to take the exam at some point in April

My hours normally range from 70 - 90 hours per week, so I am finding it difficult to carve out regular study time. If I have days off during the weekend, I am willing to devote my them to studying, but I am worried that studying only once or twice per week would make solid progress difficult.

I usually work from 9am - 11pm/12am during the week (is it worth it to study for an hour or two after work?) and maybe 8-10 hours (total) during the weekends

Any other IB analysts that have successfully studied and taken the GMAT while working? I'm really looking for any advice to get a decent studying routine going.

I have the MGMAT 4th ed., OG12, the verbal and quant OG books and like ~1,000 of the Sackmann problems.

Thanks GMAT Club!

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [0], given: 6

Re: IB analyst working 80+ hours/week -- Any studying advice? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 15:03
Expert's post
Studying (while a banker) is all about efficiency. When you're working 80+ hours/wk, there is no time to study. But if you've been following the Mergers & Inquisitions blog, you'll see that picking a prep program that gives you high returns for the time you put in is well very worth it.

Taking the GMAT as an Investment Banker
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/g ... nt-banker/

The goal with GMAT studying while working insane hours is to take those moments between work/meetings (there are plenty of them in banking) and to run through a practice question. Go through it while in the office, on-the-go in the subway either on your computer or mobile device. GMATPill let's you study across different mediums - so you can access your logbook while in the subway, study on the train, watch videos at your desk, while walking down 5th ave, or on your couch. You want to fit in these moments of intense focus. A typical GMAT question can be answered in 2min and given an accompanying video explanation - you can absorb a concept quite well in just 5 minutes. Repeat this throughout the day for a specific question type and you can see the results.

All of this is possible through an iphone and android app that is synched to the online course. You can take practice questions with you on the go and take the 2-5 minute moments and fit in a GMAT question. Then when you do have the time to make it for a sit-down session, go through the frameworks and make sure you understand fundamentally what the GMAT is testing you on. Understanding these frameworks will make your strategy of attack much more precise and efficient.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: IB analyst working 80+ hours/week -- Any studying advice?   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 15:03