Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IB Recruiting and GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 20:16
I am about to start my first year at a top 15 school (NOT M7), and I'm trying to get an IBanking summer internship. However, I've heard some stories from people that GMAT is often used as a cutoff for interviews. I currently have a 690 (Q48, V37), will this be a major hurdle? should I retake the GMAT? Thanks a lot!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 17:52
bump... i know there have been some posts about gmat and the effect of it on recruiting, but nothing really seems to be too clear about someone who's on the border of 700. Will firms ask for gmat scores before you get an interview?
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 06:05
Most have a cut-off of 7XX+ for closed interview. If you can bid for a spot then you should be fine.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 18:12
Its all about networking. Sure, a 690 could be better and 700 is the imaginary glass-barrier, but you could have an 800 - if you can't network and bring folk to like you, you are screwed. I would focus more on how you present yourself and working your network rather than putting time into increasing your GMAT score by, like, ten points.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 08:21
You don't even need a good GMAT score if you network well. Senior bankers care more about your skills and sociability than an arbitrary number.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 04:55
A current student at LBS once told me that I should definitely put my 740 GMAT score on my resume for post-MBA applications. Another student from another school told me that they do factor in GMAT score for candidates for MC and IB jobs. I'm planning to do MC as well and I look at it this way - the best things to have for these jobs are great relevant experience, great performance in the MBA, or great GMAT.
You gotta have at least some of these to get it, no?

I don't have the relevant experience, so I better prove myself in the classroom. I'd say GMAT is the least significant factor, but sadly, it is a rather raw test of how sharp you are when it comes to boring things like numbers and logic, which is what IB and MC gruntwork is all about. In the absence of other meaningful differentiating factors between you and the next guy, such as directly relevant experience, I can see them using GMAT score. That said, people have told me over and over again that once you get in the 700s GMAT score is just a check mark and no one will treat a 740 any different than 720.

However, if you've worked as investment banker pre-MBA, I'd imagine your GMAT score would be about as relevant as your highest score in tetris.

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1331 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 12:31
Quote:
However, if you've worked as investment banker pre-MBA, I'd imagine your GMAT score would be about as relevant as your highest score in tetris.

Affronted. Your highest score in Tetris is very relevant, thank you. Sour grapes :P
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 18:52
Doorknocker - I think you misunderstand. Of course having good scores in tests is better than poor ones. What is being said here is that a good test score is easily outweighed in Banking. MC firms love GMAT scores somewhat more but I question how long that will remain the case. I just don't see the correlation.

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 09:54
Looks from all the discussion that I am going to have to pay more attention to the GMAT beyond "just crossing the 700"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 15:06
Okay I got another update. I had a one hour discussion with a top Canadian b-school fresh graduate. He got into great private equity firm which is what a lot of finance types fantasize about. He had quite weak pre-MBA history but kicked ass as an MBA student, and he scored 680 on GMAT. He told me that they look at your GMAT score for IB and consulting simple and plain, even though they didn't look at his because he thought it better not to put it on his resume. If you have over 700 I say advertise it, if not, it doesn't mean you are doomed but it's not a strength. And definitely, definitely don't split hairs about ten or twenty point difference on your GMAT. Save your nerves for later, trust me you will need them.

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Re: IB Recruiting and GMAT   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2011, 15:06