Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 03:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:53) correct 37% (01:11) wrong based on 35 sessions
1.) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority communities.
• will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations, specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations and, specifically, pose an unjust burden
• will be impacting local populations and posing an unjust burden

The correct answer is B.

My Doubt is b\w
Doubt B\w B & D .. B = usage of comma leads to run on sentence but in D = 2 verbs are combined with correct parallelism. Also use of adverb specifically modifies verb pose.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: need help in SC to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 04:16
Expert's post
First point, a run - on occurs when you try to join a phrase with the main sentence with punctuation other than a comma such s period, semicolon or colon. A is a run - on but B is not, since it uses the comma.

Second, -And -is a co-ordinate conjunction its purpose is to join two equal things. In the exercise in front, the main issue is to find how new government projects will impact local populations; whether they specifically pose a burden is part of the main impact and not equal to the impact.

Third, when you use the co-ordinate conjunction, it is justified to skip the subject, provided , you can use the same subject of the main clause, which incidentally in this case is – groups- If you insert the subject - groups – in the second part you can see the absurdity of leaving the subject to imagination. The correct subject of the second part is the – projects – and unless this subject is mentioned, then the choice suffers unclear expression; that is why D is not correct

PS: May I request you not pre-empt the answer; we must get some good discussion before we know the answer.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: need help in SC to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 06:53
Hi.. Daagh

in 3rd point - ur point is that if we put subject 'groups' after AND, then the subject doesn't fit correctly to give right meaning ??? .
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: need help in SC to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 15:49
+1 B 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

Re: ) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 19:23
guys, can you tell me why not D. the official ans explanation says it changes the meaning. Can you tell me how? Also in ans option B should you have a comma or a colon?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: ) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 05:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Choices C, D and E change the meaning, why? The subject of the main sentence in all these cases is groups. However, the subject of subordinate clause is projects and the duty of this subject projects stops with affecting local population. Then what will be the subject of the second independent sentence - pose an unjust burden -? The first eligible contender is the subject of the main sentence namely groups. If we mean that groups pose a burden then it is total distortion of meaning. That is why they are suspect.
There may be hot debates that the projects itself can legally stand as the subject of the second part. . In order to avoid this muddle, well, I think GMAT does require a more clear choice that re-mentions the projects as the subject of the second part and seals the debate once for all, in favor of B.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 18

Re: ) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 21:50
what is the source of this question. i didnt find any OG SC in which 02 sentences are separated by full stop like this SC.

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 11:16
daagh wrote:
Choices C, D and E change the meaning, why? The subject of the main sentence in all these cases is groups. However, the subject of subordinate clause is projects and the duty of this subject projects stops with affecting local population. Then what will be the subject of the second independent sentence - pose an unjust burden -? The first eligible contender is the subject of the main sentence namely groups. If we mean that groups pose a burden then it is total distortion of meaning. That is why they are suspect.
There may be hot debates that the projects itself can legally stand as the subject of the second part. . In order to avoid this muddle, well, I think GMAT does require a more clear choice that re-mentions the projects as the subject of the second part and seals the debate once for all, in favor of B.

On second thoughts , I don't see "groups" as a subject of the fragment.

Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority

Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority

It would have been correct if the "would" in the original wasn't present.

Plz correct me if I am wrong !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: ) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2013, 11:16