Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ideas for Sanity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let's discuss what people do to maintain sanity during the MBA application process.

I for one, like to,

a. Go tailgates, NFL..well party hard
b. Snuggle & watch movies
c. Run

...not in that order.

Please share your whims and wonts for ushering sanity while navigating the crests and troughs of an MBA admissions process.

Cheers!
16 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, MIT, Kellogg
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [16] , given: 0

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Actually, I don’t think I’m maintaining sanity.

I perpetually refresh both gmat club and business week. Sometimes I go to the online applications to see if something has changed when I know it will look exactly the same as the last time I saw it – 5 minutes ago. In fact, every day when I get into work, the first thing I do is load firefox and check the forums to see if any of you fine folks from across the pond added content while I was restlessly tossing and turning in bed during my usual nightmare about everyone (a crowd of adcoms engulfed in fog) laughing at me as I walked out of the interview, and I wasn’t wearing pants. What?

I can’t focus/I’m not motivated at work. When I’m not writing the nth revision of the 5*nth essay (whats the probability that... damnit the GMAT is over man, move on!!), I try to hit the gym and fight the MBA application induced weight gain. What would that be? The prospective-15?

Occasionally I’ll think, what if I get into this school… NO shut up and wait for decision day. That way, by tricking myself into thinking that I very well might not get into a school, I will feel better if I’m rejected. Right?

That’s it, I’m going home to work on some essays. Nothing like telling the same story for the 6th time in an ever so slightly different way because the adcoms are EVIL and sit in a dark room with a small lamp and think of devious plans to drive tens of thousands of people crazy every year!

Last edited by hbsalias on 01 Dec 2010, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 32

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
vincev84 wrote:
If you think this waiting game is hard, just wait until you're accepted. I accepted my offer almost 3 months ago, but still have 8 to go before matriculation. Staying motivated at work is becoming extremely challenging.

I'm sure you'll understand if nobody pities you.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, MIT, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
I think this whole process has taken 6+ months off of my life. There are only so many circumstances in life where a looming unvisited hyperlink determines your fate. First it was the GMAT... do you want to report your score? SURE (should be 120/80, is 1200/800), Click... then it has to "process" your exam for like 3 hours (2011>20th century, Cray 2 happened a long time ago, Moore's law, what are you doing in there!?!?!?, it didn't take that long to process my last well thought out yet less than 2 minute answer to your abstract data sufficiency question!). Seven Seven Seven.... damnit! Ten points less?? I took a class!! That costs money! So did this test! AND an entire Saturday morning! Then the walk of shame. In the interview, the test administrators were never informed that the position was strikingly similar to that of a funeral coordinator. Recommendation to GMAC: Add requirement to job description along the lines of "Must be able to outwardly remain positive while continuously witnessing customers express distraught emotional pain. But don't worry, IT WILL BREAK YOU one day"

Number 2 (that's right, GMAT doesn't deserve to be numbered) - For the past 200 years, school X has released interview invites at 12:35:00:00:00 EST (I have a Big Bang atomic clock with MBA notification alarms, it's an underground app, don't ask - top secret, I'll have to kill you) on Friday of this week of this month. So, I'm going to start refreshing my browser now (24 hours early) just in case and be stressed out of my mind until then! Finally, after a lunch meeting, I come back to an email and see BLAH BLAH U interview invitation. NICE. Now I can let my blood assume a liquid state. Interview went okay...

Number 3a (I have to type "Number" first, otherwise 3a could be a letter?, don't ask because I'm not going back to fix it and I need consistency, otherwise I might feel uneasy and become insane again) - "Your decision is available" WHAT?!?!? You want me to click that?!?!?! That's like walking up to a noose and hoping the rope breaks! Recommendation to HBS or Universities that do the same thing: Please just briefly add the words "Accepted", "Go to hell", or "Torture period" to your decision email subject so I don't have to walk the platform.

Number 3b - After not clicking on the Noose all day, someone who happened to know my PIN and PW, checked for me. How nice. They asked, "Do you want to know?" Trust me, a "recommendation" has been made. Ended up I went on the WAIT(TORTURE)LIST.

Number Infinity - Eileen Chang sends me an email on the first day of every month keeping me on the edge of every seat I sit in, every day/hour/second. Not like a typical horror film or anything. This is dragged out Saw+(PLUS) style. I wonder if she wears that mask too?

Just thought I'd share. Next notification is in a month. I guess I'll focus on my job that I'm already planning to leave. Talk about motivation. This is all crazy!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:59
Gym.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
WE 1: Mortgage
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:36
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I second everything the above poster said. In light of my impending heart attack from the stress of this process, I signed up for a 10-mile run in April that I can hopefully focus some of my self-destructive energies into.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:38
- Listen to music
- Draw
- Watch movies
- Play with the dog

And anything else that doesn't require much brain stimulation...
Intern
Intern

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:39
hbsalias , I like the way you put it. You have a knack for story telling and I am sure your essays are coming along just fine. Cheers mate!

~Nothing lasts forever, not even insanity~
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 13:43
hbsalias wrote:
Actually, I don’t think I’m maintaining sanity.

I perpetually refresh both gmat club and business week. Sometimes I go to the online applications to see if something has changed when I know it will look exactly the same as the last time I saw it – 5 minutes ago. In fact, every day when I get into work, the first thing I do is load firefox and check the forums to see if any of you fine folks from across the pond added content while I was restlessly tossing and turned in bed during my usual nightmare about everyone (a crowd of adcoms engulfed in fog) laughing at me as I walked out of the interview, and I wasn’t wearing pants. What?

I can’t focus/I’m not motivated at work. When I’m not writing the nth revision of the 5*nth essay (whats the probability that... damnit the GMAT is over man, move on!!), I try to hit the gym and fight the MBA application induced weight gain. What would that be? The prospective-15?

Occasionally I’ll think, what if I get into this school… NO shut up and wait for decision day. That way, by tricking myself into thinking that I very well might not get into a school, I will feel better if I’m rejected. Right?

That’s it, I’m going home to work on some essays. Nothing like telling the same story for the 6th time in an ever so slightly different way because the adcoms are EVIL and sit in a dark room with a small lamp and think of devious plans to drive tens of thousands of people crazy every year!

Give this person Kudos!! It's exactly what I've been up to.. joy. Somewhere between the 5th and 6th Phase of application.

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 14:59
-participate on a bunch of forums
-watch hulu+ and netflix on my roku
-play games like DOTA, sc2 (rarely play now), wii games
-read finance-related white papers
-read books on kindle
-play tennis! (how can i forget this one)

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Last edited by adalfu on 01 Dec 2010, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 15:05
hbsalias wrote:

That's EXACTLY how I feel! Aim high but expect low, so I won't be hurt in the end. Reminds me of a philosophy I live by: "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 15:06
:shock:

Last edited by istan on 02 Dec 2010, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 16:18
Eat:)
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 32

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 05:46
kyro wrote:
Eat:)

Pray Love?
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 11:54
GLT!
Gym, Laundry, Tan!
jk.

- Gym
- Law & Order: SVU
- Waking up early, writing my butt off for that day (morning and evening), then resting the next day.
Intern
Intern

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 12:48
A maxim that helps me predict sane or insane outcomes in my life -

If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 18:15
Beach, icecream and stop checking GC forums...
Current Student
Schools: R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 20:11
now that i'm playing the waiting game, i try to do anything that will get me away from my computer and the nonstop checking of email/forums
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 20:43
Dance! I go salsa dancing or go to a hip hop class at my gym and that erases my mind of any and all stress, it's fabulous.

Running helps too, although I don't make enough time for that.

Trying not to let the stress get me. Working on my essays at coffee shops helps because then at least I'm sipping a Peppermint Mocha Latte while I'm trying to fit my life into 500 words. I have found that having others proofread my essays has been a huge help as well; they've given me some good advice and good encouragement.
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 69

Re: Ideas for Sanity [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:43
Reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series a lot :)

Honestly, that is the only thing that keeps me sane while I'm preparing 4 apps for January deadlines
Re: Ideas for Sanity   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2010, 04:43