Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 06:00
I picked A :(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 08:45
Good question... +1 Kudos!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 12:43
C --we need answer to weaken the conclusion

twins in both situations measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire, and concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 04:42
C is the answer. Although if C option is not there then i would have picked A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 11:09
I shortlisted B and C, finally selected C. Had C not been there I would have gone for B.

The reason is that, I think, B raises doubt on the sample set.
Am I thinking right?

Last edited by IndianExpress on 11 Aug 2011, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 14:08
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 02:29
C for me too

Posted from my mobile device Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 23:16
C is the only choice that introduces the most apt anomaly in the study.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 17:21
prude_sb wrote:
Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if environment outweighs heredity in personality development, twins raised together should presumably have more similar personalities than those raised apart. A recent study of identical twins in both situations measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire, and concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.

Which of the following, if established, would cast the most doubt on the study's results?

(A) Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately.
(B) The ages of all of the twins studied fell within a 10-year range.
(C) Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families.
(D) Although over half the traits measured were determined to be linked to heredity, the nature of those traits varied widely.
(E) The 11 traits that were measured constitute a representative sample of larger, generally accepted pool of key personality traits.

C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 04:27
C @ 2 min..

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 10:23
C with POE...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 20:47
Found this similar question, however the correct answer choice seems to be opposite of the logic proposed in the answer to the question in this feed.

Studies have shown that identical twins often display identical physical mannerisms even if they are raised separately. Based on these studies, a psychologist argues that personality is determined entirely by genetics, and not by the environment in which people are raised.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the psychologist's argument?

(A) Many people who exhibit identical physical mannerisms have extremely different personalities.
correct
(B) Twins are almost always raised in the same environment and rarely separated.
(C) Studies have shown that many physical traits such as hair color and height are primarily determined by genetics.
(D) Often, the respective communities in which separated twins are raised have similar cultural values.
my wrong answer, which in using the same reasoning got me the correct answer in the feed's question
(E) Some of the separated twins examined in these studies were much older and more mature than others.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 21:01
Clearly C for the first one..

693657 wrote:
Found this similar question, however the correct answer choice seems to be opposite of the logic proposed in the answer to the question in this feed.

Studies have shown that identical twins often display identical physical mannerisms even if they are raised separately. Based on these studies, a psychologist argues that personality is determined entirely by genetics, and not by the environment in which people are raised.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the psychologist's argument?

(A) Many people who exhibit identical physical mannerisms have extremely different personalities.
correct
(B) Twins are almost always raised in the same environment and rarely separated.
(C) Studies have shown that many physical traits such as hair color and height are primarily determined by genetics.
(D) Often, the respective communities in which separated twins are raised have similar cultural values.
my wrong answer, which in using the same reasoning got me the correct answer in the feed's question
(E) Some of the separated twins examined in these studies were much older and more mature than others.

IMO A is correct because it correlates physical mannerism and personality (which is stated by psychologist). All other answers r relating physical mannerism with environment and genetics.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 07:30
I chose A as well. Going through the above explanations I realize that C is a better option.

I reasoned that if there are more number of twins staying together that were surveyed then the findings will be skewed towards one of the scenario.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE: Military Officer (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 08:38
my answer C well in time.
Appears to be 500-600 level question
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 90 [2] , given: 5

Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
Which of the following, if established, would cast the most doubt on the study's results?

(A) Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately. Shell game. This is the attractive answer because it seems to detract from the study, as selection bias does. However, whether or not the number between groups in the study were equal, the percentage of traits would be the same.

(B) The ages of all of the twins studied fell within a 10-year range.Out of scope. Range should not affect the result.

(C) Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families. Very tricky because one has to read carefully; study attributed traits as heredity when in fact the twins also grew up in similar families, but there is no way to prove if it was hereditary or environmental; also, "some" is a soft answer choice

(D) Although over half the traits measured were determined to be linked to heredity, the nature of those traits varied widely. The nature or genesis of the traits is out of scope because this question is about environment vs. heredity

(E) The 11 traits that were measured constitute a representative sample of larger, generally accepted pool of key personality traits. This seems like a fallacy of composition in that smaller parts can be described by the whole. At least this does not affect the conclusion because we don't know anything about the larger pool of key personality traits. In brief, out of scope.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 491

Re: CR: Twins [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 22:19
gautrang wrote:
praveenism wrote:
C @ 1:11..
Need to work on Timings !!!

Then what do I need? :(

C @ 2:50

hhaha 3.14 for me. What a shame!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 23:57
C

as the twins grew up in similar environment which strengthen their heredity in personality development,
Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 00:14
(A) Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately.

Choice A is actually a trap. It says that fewer than half of the pairs were raised seperately or majority of the pairs were raised together. Despite that, the conclusion could still be true since it is not mentioned whether those twins who were raised together were raised in the same environment. They could have grown up together but in different families that have different environments. Hence this choice cannot weaken the argument.

(C) Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families.

Choice C emphasises on the possible gap present in the argument - "environment can outweigh heredity". If some (atleast more than one out of 7) of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families, then majority of the traits cannot be attributed to heredity. Thus C is the best suitable answer choice.

Thanks.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 10:07
IndianExpress wrote:
I shortlisted B and C, finally selected C. Had C not been there I would have gone for B.

The reason is that, I think, B raises doubt on the sample set.
Am I thinking right?

Even I was inclined towards B for casting a doubt on the set on which the experiment was performed...
Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2014, 10:07