Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Dec 2014, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 29

Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 03:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:59) correct 50% (00:41) wrong based on 9 sessions
Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if environment outweighs heredity in personality development, twins raised together should presumably have more similar personalities than those raised apart. A recent study of identical twins in both situations measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire, and concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.

Which of the following, if established, would cast the most doubt on the study's results?

(A) Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately.
B The ages of all of the twins studied fell within a 10-year range.
(C Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the
separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families.
(D) Although over half the traits measured were determined to be linked to
heredity, the nature of those traits varied widely.
(E) The 11 traits that were measured constitute a representative sample of larger,
generally accepted pool of key personality traits.

I understand the case as two twin group is different when evaluating the traits' result and therefore I made D the OA is C but how can it be?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 212 [2] , given: 6

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
perfectstranger wrote:
Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if environment outweighs heredity in personality development, twins raised together should presumably have more similar personalities than those raised apart. A recent study of identical twins in both situations measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire, and concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.

Which of the following, if established, would cast the most doubt on the study's results?

(A) Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately.
B The ages of all of the twins studied fell within a 10-year range.
(C Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the
separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families.
(D) Although over half the traits measured were determined to be linked to
heredity, the nature of those traits varied widely.
(E) The 11 traits that were measured constitute a representative sample of larger,
generally accepted pool of key personality traits.

I understand the case as two twin group is different when evaluating the traits' result and therefore I made D the OA is C but how can it be?

Premise: If environment is main factor, twins raised together have more similarities than those raised apart.
Premise: study measured 11 traits
Conclusion: 7 out of 11 are product of heredity

So, in both the cases results show some similarities that conclude about "heredity". To weaken the conclusion we have to show that it is not heredity but some similarities in families or environment where the twins are grown up.

(A)WRONG: Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately. -- but do not provide info about family
(B) WRONG: The ages of all of the twins studied fell within a 10-year range. -- Still NO info about family
(C) CORRECT: Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the
separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families. -- tell about family type
(D) WRONG: Although over half the traits measured were determined to be linked to
heredity, the nature of those traits varied widely. -- strengthen the conclusion as saying that linked to heredity
(E) WRONG: The 11 traits that were measured constitute a representative sample of larger,
generally accepted pool of key personality traits. -- question traits are not weakening the heredity pattern

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 08:23

What are the results of the study?

concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.

A correct answer choice that casts most doubt on the study's results? would say some thing like

(a) Heredity is not the cause for these traits

(b) Environment probably is the cause for these traits.

(c) both a & b

Ans (C) exactly does that. C says two different twins raised in different families have the same traits because the environment in which they are brought up is similar and not because they share the genetic composition
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 08:49
C is correct
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 02:50
I fail to understand why A is not the answer. It says that fewer than half of the pairs of twins were raised separately. So, let us say the study involved 100 pairs identical twins and only 1 pair of identical twin was raised separately. In such a case, the finding of the study (that traits are more a product of heredity than environment) could be wrong, since the environment of 99 pairs of twins was the same.

Can someone please explain. Sorry I am picking this thread after such a long time.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 774 [0], given: 40

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 22:40
Let me try to explain: It is cause and effect problem.

Study's result: 7/11 are primary products of heredity.
Doubt: 7/11 are not primary products of heredity. There are other factors for the similarities.

This is what C says that it is the environment rather than heredity.

A says that - Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately.
It is half right, but it is missing on other contributing factors.

mohish wrote:
I fail to understand why A is not the answer. It says that fewer than half of the pairs of twins were raised separately. So, let us say the study involved 100 pairs identical twins and only 1 pair of identical twin was raised separately. In such a case, the finding of the study (that traits are more a product of heredity than environment) could be wrong, since the environment of 99 pairs of twins was the same.

Can someone please explain. Sorry I am picking this thread after such a long time.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 09:40
i agree with C. good explanations by ykaiim and priyankur_saha
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: CR-Identical Twins [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 01:44
'priyankur_saha@ml.com' +1 kudos to you for the excellent explanation.
and for the nice signature line - "If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space."
CEO
CEO
Followers: 338

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 23:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 23:47