Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Idiom (strange construction)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Idiom (strange construction) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 16:52
Hi all,

I was reading Foundations of GMAT Verbal, by Manhattan GMAT, when I found a sentence - "the first step to recognizing those errors".
It is not an exercise, but a sentence embedded in the text.
I can't explain myself this construction, instead I would write "the first step to recognize those errors", or "the first step in recognizing those errors".
Why does the author use a gerund?
Is it an idiom?

Thank you!

Ric
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Idiom (strange construction) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 13:41
Expert's post
Interesting -- would love to help, but could use a tad more context. Can you share the book/page # OR add in the full sentence that this phrase is included in?

Thanks!

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Idiom (strange construction) [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 19:17
brianlange77 wrote:
Interesting -- would love to help, but could use a tad more context. Can you share the book/page # OR add in the full sentence that this phrase is included in?

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

The full sentence is this one:

"That was a long section on a lot of tiny words! However, recognizing and checking pronouns is one of
the best skills you can develop for gaining points on GMAT Sentence Correction. Pronoun errors are
extremely common on the exam, and the first step to recognizing those errors is spotting the pronouns."

Is comes from "Foundations of GMAT Verbal, Fifth Edition", chapter 2, page 36. You will find it at the page's bottom: "Pronouns Wrap-Up".

I was trying to understand the structure of any sentence, while reading, just to check whether I understood the topic, then I found this "to recognizing [...]". Is it a noun modifier modifying "step" (preposition after noun, such as "The cat ON THE COUCH took a nap)?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 5

Re: Idiom (strange construction) [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 10:43
Expert's post
Ric123 wrote:

"That was a long section on a lot of tiny words! However, recognizing and checking pronouns is one of
the best skills you can develop for gaining points on GMAT Sentence Correction. Pronoun errors are
extremely common on the exam, and the first step to recognizing those errors is spotting the pronouns."

Is comes from "Foundations of GMAT Verbal, Fifth Edition", chapter 2, page 36. You will find it at the page's bottom: "Pronouns Wrap-Up".

I was trying to understand the structure of any sentence, while reading, just to check whether I understood the topic, then I found this "to recognizing [...]". Is it a noun modifier modifying "step" (preposition after noun, such as "The cat ON THE COUCH took a nap)?

The word "to" can act as a preposition or a part of an infinitive. In this case, "to" is acting as a preposition after the word "step" (to form a noun modifier after step). Gerunds follow prepositions, so saying "the first step to recognizing those errors" is correct grammatically. From a preference standpoint, I would probably use the preposition "in" rather than "to" but that's a preference, not a rule.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Idiom (strange construction) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 00:17
Thank you Kyle, now it is clear; I just wanted to be sure about the prepositional phrase.

KyleWiddison wrote:
Ric123 wrote:

The word "to" can act as a preposition or a part of an infinitive. In this case, "to" is acting as a preposition after the word "step" (to form a noun modifier after step). Gerunds follow prepositions, so saying "the first step to recognizing those errors" is correct grammatically. From a preference standpoint, I would probably use the preposition "in" rather than "to" but that's a preference, not a rule.

KW
Re: Idiom (strange construction)   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 00:17