Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 84

IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I appeared for my IELTS exam on 8th June, 2013 through British Council. After preparing for about 45 days, I finally decided to take the test. I used IELTS 5,6,7 & 8 books to prepare for the exam, These official books are the best source of information.

Listening - Practice as much as you can. Whenever you get any questions wrong, go back and listen that part again. This helps you to avoid mistakes in future. Mark questions only on the basis of what you listen. I find section 4 the easiest as I rarely lose out in this section.

On the exam, I made a few mistakes in the first section and lost concentration in the middle of second section. This might have got me a few questions wrong.

Reading - Again practice is the key to success. Don't analyse too much while practising. Just focus on what is given in the passage. Infer very little. Try to complete all the three passages in 1 hour straight. Focus on accuracy first, then improve on the timings.

On the exam, I was very much concerned about my accuracy, which costed me at the end. I had to mark the last 3 questions in less than a minute as the time was over. So, accuracy and timing both play an important role.

Writing - This was my weak part. I did a lot of writing practice, which helped me get a decent band, but not a 7 as I was expecting. To improve on this section, practice is a must. Apart from that, the most important thing is to understand the marking scheme of the IELTS examiners by looking at sample answers and examiner's comment for that essay. You can also try to rate your essay based on the sample essays given in the passage.

On the exam, I received the essay which I had done in some other form while practising back home. Though I was able to complete the essay on time, I couldn't revise it.

Speaking - Please do not ignore this section as I have seen many people doing this. The best way to practice this section is to switch on the recording button on your phone and record your answer responses to the questions from the IELTS book. I did all the speaking tests from IELTS 7 & 8. After recording your responses, listen to the recording. Check for the timing as it is very crucial. Moreover, avoid grammatical mistakes while speaking and avoid stammering if possible.

On the exam, in the first part I was asked about my home and family. In the second part, I was asked to speak on a toy which I enjoyed playing in my childhood. Though I framed an artificial response, I could speak only for about 2 minutes. I thing the examiner was expecting more from me. In the third part, I was asked questions about more in depth questions from the same topic. It went fairly well.

The IELTS exam bands are allotted out of 9. My target score was at least a 7 band in each section, with a overall band of 7. I needed an overall 7 band to be eligible to apply to the college of my choice.

Below are my actual scores:

Listening - 8.5
Reading - 7.5
Writing - 6.5
Speaking - 7

Overall - 7.5

When I saw my result, 7.5 overall, I was very excited. Although listening and reading bands were a bit beyond my expectation, writing band disappointed me as I was expecting a 7 or 7.5 after practising so much in this section. But, I decided not to retake the test as this score would be sufficient for me to get admission in the college of my choice.

Best of luck for your exam!!!

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 23:38
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Much appreciated. I am planning to appear for LETS exam on 18th of Jan.

I am yet to start the preparation, your guidance will be very helpful to me. You mentioned that Official IELTS preparation material was very useful, did you mean Cambridge IELTS version 6...9? Could you please clarify. I am also bit weak in writing skills, how did you prepare for this section? How many essays and how did you evaluate writing skill, please elaborate.

thanks
Manju
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 84

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
manjureddy wrote:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Much appreciated. I am planning to appear for LETS exam on 18th of Jan.

I am yet to start the preparation, your guidance will be very helpful to me. You mentioned that Official IELTS preparation material was very useful, did you mean Cambridge IELTS version 6...9? Could you please clarify. I am also bit weak in writing skills, how did you prepare for this section? How many essays and how did you evaluate writing skill, please elaborate.

thanks
Manju

I used IELTS 5, 6, 7 and 8 for giving mock tests. These are the official material for studying and the most trusted source. You will get IELTS 8 when you book the exam.
I took coaching from a institute in Delhi, which helped me hone my skills especially in writing and reading.

Reading Comprehensions in IELTS are different from GMAT. They are more comprehensive in nature than GMAT counterpart RC.

I practised around 20 writing tasks for IELTS. I analysed my essays in the way how they are evaluated in the IELTS book by the examiners.
I would suggest you to go through how the examiners mark the essays of the students as given in the IELTS book. This was very very useful to me to help me evaluate my essays.

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 03:12
Thank you Sahil for letting me know about the books. I have downloaded Cambridge IELTS series. Hopefully that should be good starting point. I have started writing essays given in the Cambridge series to improve my writing skills.

I saw couple of videos on IELTS website on how to handle reading sections. Basically they suggest to skim through the first and the last paragraph to get the gist and read the questions and than find the answers. I think it is good idea, because it will give us an idea about each paragraph.

regards
Manju
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 13:11
Any Online Practice Test??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 84

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 19:18
farzanarahman wrote:
Any Online Practice Test??

I did all my prep offline since IELTS is an offline test.

Sahil Chaudhary
My IELTS 7.5 Experience

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 28

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 02:38
I am thinking of taking the IELTS in about 2 months time.Can you please let me know what all websites i can refer to for free IELTS mocks.I will be taking the test at a British Council test centre.Also,regarding the listening and speaking section,what material is available in the books that is mentioned
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
DebWenger wrote:
I am thinking of taking the IELTS in about 2 months time.Can you please let me know what all websites i can refer to for free IELTS mocks.I will be taking the test at a British Council test centre.Also,regarding the listening and speaking section,what material is available in the books that is mentioned

Hi,

For my preparation, I didn't use any online mock test. I just used mock tests from IELTS 5,6,7 & 8. After you have exhausted all of them, you could search for mock tests on Google.
I also took my test at British Council and it was a very nice experience. For listening you need to download audio files differently from the book. For speaking, only questions are available. You need to practice speaking yourself by recording your voice into your cell phone's microphone and then listening it afterwards to check for fluency and grammar and then try to improve them.

Sahil Chaudhary
My IELTS 7.5 Experience

Intern
Intern

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 14:10
What is the difference between the Academic Reading and Writing and the General Training one in IELTS?The IELTS website says that Academic is the one for applying to schools and stuff while the other one is for immigration,work etc.Does this mean that if i were to take the Academic one,when it came to immigration for work etc. would it not hold good?
Any thoughts on this one please,it's been bothering me and i have not been able to schedule my test as a result.
Any links on the net on this one will also help me a lot. :thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
DebWenger wrote:
What is the difference between the Academic Reading and Writing and the General Training one in IELTS?The IELTS website says that Academic is the one for applying to schools and stuff while the other one is for immigration,work etc.Does this mean that if i were to take the Academic one,when it came to immigration for work etc. would it not hold good?
Any thoughts on this one please,it's been bothering me and i have not been able to schedule my test as a result.
Any links on the net on this one will also help me a lot. :thanks

General is if you are applying for immigration.
Academic is if you are going for your studies.
Lets say you gave your academic IELTS, then went for studies to some country and after a few years you wish to apply for PR, you need to give the General IELTS and score band as required by immigration authorities.

I don't think academic would be considered for immigration purposes. I would suggest that you contact a counselor, who will help you out with all this.

Hope it helps.

Sahil Chaudhary
My IELTS 7.5 Experience

Intern
Intern

Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 11:09
I have gone through quite a few tests in ESOL IELTS 9 and 7.But I feel that taking a mock test will be of great help as going through test in the Cambridge IELTS is quite different to sitting for an actual IELTS exam. Getting used to testing conditions would be very important for me,so are there any simulated tests available in the internet.Please provide the links of such tests.They'll be of great help to my preparation.Thanks in advance.
Re: IELTS 7.5, 1.5 months preparation   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 11:09