Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Where should I go?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 00:31
Hi All,

I have been accepted into Booth (with $$), IE (with $$) and IESE (Shortlisted for a scholarship) but won't find out until June. I am currently trying to decided where I should go and would love any opinions about the quality of the schools and their ability to open doors for me upon graduation.

My profile is as follows:

I am an Australian Environmental Engineer working on natural resource development projects for 4 years (almost 5 at Matriculation). I was working for a top mining company for 2 years and now work in a team leader role for a major, World Bank funded, hydro-electric project in Laos. I have worked in natural resource development on projects on 4 continents.

I want to pursue an MBA to develop my business evaluation skills to a level where I can work as an analyst that assesses the financial, social and environmental viability of natural resource development projects. I think I have written quite good essays that demonstrate this goal. Ideally, I want to work back in Australia, Asia, Latin America or Africa following the MBA.

Any advice would be appreciated!
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 198 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
I think, given what you wrote, there's really no difference between the schools. The only thing I can distinguish out is that Booth will probably be an inferior choice here. You didn't list the US as one of your preferred working location, which means that Booth may not give you as much of an edge here. If I were you, I'd really look at IE and IESE and see which one fits you better in terms of class, employment, and culture. At this very moment, I'd say to choose IE over IESE because of the scholarship that you've received. I wouldn't consider Booth very much right now...again, this is given what you wrote.
Intern
Intern

Re: IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 08:07
Thanks for the advice Socal... The one reservation I had with the Spanish Schools was brand recognition in Asia Pacific. Do you think this is much of an issue?

The weather in Spain does beat the hell out of Chicago one must say :)
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 08:55
Honestly, I can't say you're going to get much recognition in the Pacific Rim even if you went to Booth. The asian culture has been very stereotypical that unless you go to a school that most people have heard of, it's not going to get that much recognition. Heck, if I had to take a pick in China between Booth and Cornell, Cornell will probably win because of its ivy league brand. A lot has to do with where you want to work as well (for example, if you want to work at McKinsey in China, Booth will definitely serve you better than Cornell will). Last, but not least, you're really going to have to pick your location wisely. If you're targeting hte Asian market, go to an Asian b-school, such as HKUST. It'll be exponentially harder for you to find jobs in Asia post-MBA if you went to Booth. I chose IE because you've listed Africa in your original post and should Africa fail you, you're close enough to Europe that IE will serve you well.
Intern
Intern

Re: IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 01:29
Thanks Bakfed,

I know it isn't really straight forward. Thanks for your time and advice!

Nagano
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 07:05
You're most welcome and remember, this is just my opinion, which is by no means a professional's opinion. Good luck on your decision!!! All of these schools rock, by the way =)
Re: IESE vs IE vs Chicago Booth MBA programs   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2011, 07:05