Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IESE vs Stern MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

IESE vs Stern MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 07:59
Hi folks,

I have been accepted to both IESE and Stern MBA with a scholarship. They are now at the same price for me and I am wondering now which would be the best fit without considering the price issue.

I am Belgian (grew up and work here) and Brazilian thanks to my mother (I speak Portuguese). I am wondering which MBA would be the best to work in Brazil after graduating in consulting (mbb if possible). I now IESE do better in rankings and is strong in south-america but I feel like an American MBA still more prestigious. Any insight on this issue would be highly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,

Daniel
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: IESE vs Stern MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 13:43
I wish I had your "problem", as I wasn't admitted to Stern.
But if you want to do consulting, I don't know how good Stern is for that. I'm not saying it's bad, but I've always heard of people from IESE going to consulting.

If I had the opportunity to go to Stern I personally would go because I want to do finance, but that's just me. Do a research of how good Stern is for consulting...
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: IESE vs Stern MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 16:07
I think IESE is equally prestigious as Stern, if not more. Just look at their exchange partnerships with American B-schools including the likes of Kellogg, Wharton and Tuck. They wouldn't get so many great partner schools if they weren't a prestigious school people wanted to go to. Plus, IESE is very international, has a general management focus and is probably one of the top schools sending grads to South America, all of which I think suit you well. If you were studying finance I'd go with Stern but I can't look away from IESE for consulting in Brazil.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V43
GPA: 3.3
WE: Sales (Real Estate)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 25

Re: IESE vs Stern MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 05:18
Daniel1204 wrote:
Hi folks,

I have been accepted to both IESE and Stern MBA with a scholarship. They are now at the same price for me and I am wondering now which would be the best fit without considering the price issue.

I am Belgian (grew up and work here) and Brazilian thanks to my mother (I speak Portuguese). I am wondering which MBA would be the best to work in Brazil after graduating in consulting (mbb if possible). I now IESE do better in rankings and is strong in south-america but I feel like an American MBA still more prestigious. Any insight on this issue would be highly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

As a Latin American student, I could only say that almost no one know what IESE is. Stern is not as renowned as Columbia, Cornell or any Ivy League school, but New York University certainly has more clout than IESE. Right now, studying in Spain is seen as weak.

Maybe Brazil in particular is different, but I highly doubt it. You will have to go around explaining how high ranked IESE is, and most will wonder why you just didn't study in the USA.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: IESE vs Stern MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers. I decided that I will go with NYU. After speaking with many Brazilians studying at one of these MBA, it appears clearly that NYU brandname is way stronger in South-America even for consulting.

Good luck with your applications,

D.
Re: IESE vs Stern MBA   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 00:06