Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2015, 02:50
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1859
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 193

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 22:21
\(10! = (5!)^2 * 2 * 3 * 7 * 6\)

So,

\((5!)^2 * 2 * 3 * 7 * 6 - 2 * (5!)^2\)

\(= 2 * (5!)^2 (3 * 7 * 6 - 1)\)

\(= 2 * (5!)^2 * (125)\)

\(= 2 * 5^2 * 4^2 * 3^2 * 2^2 * 5^3\)

\(= 20^2 * 10^3 * 3^2\)

Answer = 3+2 = 5 = E
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 09:23
Dear Bunuel (or whoever sees this)

in this step : 250 * (5!)^2 = 250 x 120 x 120 = 5^2 x 12 x 12 x 1000, I don't get why you multiply by 1000 and also why is 250 turning to 5^2 , and the 120's turning to 12's?

Thanks
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29110
Followers: 4726

Kudos [?]: 49771 [0], given: 7403

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 09:35
Expert's post
sagnik2422 wrote:
Dear Bunuel (or whoever sees this)

in this step : 250 * (5!)^2 = 250 x 120 x 120 = 5^2 x 12 x 12 x 1000, I don't get why you multiply by 1000 and also why is 250 turning to 5^2 , and the 120's turning to 12's?

Thanks


\(250*(5!)^2=250*120^2=250*120*120=(25*10)*(12*10)*(12*10)=25*12*12*1000\).
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 01:23
How many questions of that difficulty should you expect to see to get a 750, for example?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 10:47
Bunuel wrote:
aalriy wrote:
If \(10! - 2*(5!)^2\) is divisible by \(10^n\), what is the greatest value of n?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5


We should determine the # of trailing zeros of \(10! - 2*(5!)^2\). Trailing zeros are a sequence of 0s in the decimal representation of a number, after which no other digits follow. For example, 2000 has 3 trailing zeros.

Note that every 5 and 2 in prime factorization will give one more trailing zero.

\(10!=5!*6*7*8*9*10=5!*(2*3)*7*(4*2)*9*(5*2)=5!*(2*3*4*5)*(7*2*9*2)*=252*(5!)^2\);
\(252*(5!)^2-2*(5!)^2=250*(5!)^2=250*120*120=5^2*12*12*1,000\) --> 5^2 with two 2-s from 12 will provide with 2 more zeros, so \(10! - 2*(5!)^2\) has total of 5 trailing zeros.

So, max value of n for which above is divisible by 10^n is 5.

Answer: E.

P.S. Final value is \(252*(5!)^2-2*(5!)^2=250*(5!)^2=250*120*120=1,000*25*12*12=1,000*300*12=12*300,000=3,600,000\).

Hope it's clear.



Hi Bunuel,

Though I understood your approach completely. when I try to simplify the expression myself in a different manner, I don't arrive at the right conclusion.
Could you please explain what is the flaw in what I am trying to do :

10! = 5! * 10*9*8*7*6
= 10^2 * 2^6 * 9^2 * 7
2*(5!)^2 = 5^2 * 2^7 * 9

10! - 2*(5!)^2 = (10^2 * 2^6 * 9^2 * 7) - (10^2 * 2^5 * 9)
= 10^2 * 2^5 (2*81*7 -9)

At this point, we have only 2 0s (contributed by 10^2) . We have 2^5 but no additional 5s (in 2, 81 o 7)
Then how do we get 36000000 as the final result. (I verified : 10^2 * 2^5 (2*81*7 -9) = 3,600,000 which means I am not making any calculation errors)
I am sure there is something silly that I am missing but I am not able to understand. Please explain.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29110
Followers: 4726

Kudos [?]: 49771 [0], given: 7403

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 11:26
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
apsForGmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
aalriy wrote:
If \(10! - 2*(5!)^2\) is divisible by \(10^n\), what is the greatest value of n?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5


We should determine the # of trailing zeros of \(10! - 2*(5!)^2\). Trailing zeros are a sequence of 0s in the decimal representation of a number, after which no other digits follow. For example, 2000 has 3 trailing zeros.

Note that every 5 and 2 in prime factorization will give one more trailing zero.

\(10!=5!*6*7*8*9*10=5!*(2*3)*7*(4*2)*9*(5*2)=5!*(2*3*4*5)*(7*2*9*2)*=252*(5!)^2\);
\(252*(5!)^2-2*(5!)^2=250*(5!)^2=250*120*120=5^2*12*12*1,000\) --> 5^2 with two 2-s from 12 will provide with 2 more zeros, so \(10! - 2*(5!)^2\) has total of 5 trailing zeros.

So, max value of n for which above is divisible by 10^n is 5.

Answer: E.

P.S. Final value is \(252*(5!)^2-2*(5!)^2=250*(5!)^2=250*120*120=1,000*25*12*12=1,000*300*12=12*300,000=3,600,000\).

Hope it's clear.



Hi Bunuel,

Though I understood your approach completely. when I try to simplify the expression myself in a different manner, I don't arrive at the right conclusion.
Could you please explain what is the flaw in what I am trying to do :

10! = 5! * 10*9*8*7*6
= 10^2 * 2^6 * 9^2 * 7
2*(5!)^2 = 5^2 * 2^7 * 9

10! - 2*(5!)^2 = (10^2 * 2^6 * 9^2 * 7) - (10^2 * 2^5 * 9)
= 10^2 * 2^5 (2*81*7 -9)

At this point, we have only 2 0s (contributed by 10^2) . We have 2^5 but no additional 5s (in 2, 81 o 7)
Then how do we get 36000000 as the final result. (I verified : 10^2 * 2^5 (2*81*7 -9) = 3,600,000 which means I am not making any calculation errors)
I am sure there is something silly that I am missing but I am not able to understand. Please explain.


The point is that 2*81*7 - 9 = 3^2*5^3. 2^5 provides enough 2's for 5^3, which will result in additional 3 0's.

Does this make sense?
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V30
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 14

If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2014, 00:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest value of n?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

The equation can be simplified as
=>(5!)(10*9*8*7*6*5 - 2*(5!))
=>120(30240-240)
=>(10^5) * K (No need to calculate the remaining part as we knew the power of 10)

Hence n=5 which is option E.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 140
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 01:13
i did it this way and fail to see where I'm wrong:
10!/10^n - 2*(5!)^2/10^n


10! contains 2 trailing 0s....
5!=120 so we have 120*120*2. Thats two zeros.
So shouldn't the answer be 4?

We are allowed to split up fractions in this way, aren't we?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1859
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 193

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 01:26
usre123 wrote:
i did it this way and fail to see where I'm wrong:
10!/10^n - 2*(5!)^2/10^n


10! contains 2 trailing 0s....
5!=120 so we have 120*120*2. Thats two zeros.
So shouldn't the answer be 4?

We are allowed to split up fractions in this way, aren't we?


Yes, we are allowed to split the fractions.

As far as the computation of this problem is concerned, we require to get rid of the "subtraction" sign first to get the required answer
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 140
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 01:50
PareshGmat wrote:
usre123 wrote:
i did it this way and fail to see where I'm wrong:
10!/10^n - 2*(5!)^2/10^n


10! contains 2 trailing 0s....
5!=120 so we have 120*120*2. Thats two zeros.
So shouldn't the answer be 4?

We are allowed to split up fractions in this way, aren't we?


Yes, we are allowed to split the fractions.

As far as the computation of this problem is concerned, we require to get rid of the "subtraction" sign first to get the required answer


Oh haha. simple logic. Got it, thanks!! So this isn't the right way to solve.
Although I tried to do 4/2- 3/2 which gives me 1/2, and (4-3)/2 also gives the same answer. I wonder why that doesnt work here
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1859
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 193

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 02:09
usre123 wrote:
PareshGmat wrote:
usre123 wrote:
i did it this way and fail to see where I'm wrong:
10!/10^n - 2*(5!)^2/10^n


10! contains 2 trailing 0s....
5!=120 so we have 120*120*2. Thats two zeros.
So shouldn't the answer be 4?

We are allowed to split up fractions in this way, aren't we?


Yes, we are allowed to split the fractions.

As far as the computation of this problem is concerned, we require to get rid of the "subtraction" sign first to get the required answer


Oh haha. simple logic. Got it, thanks!! So this isn't the right way to solve.
Although I tried to do 4/2- 3/2 which gives me 1/2, and (4-3)/2 also gives the same answer. I wonder why that doesnt work here


Actually in the problem in question, they are asking to count the zero's; that's why its better to calculate the numerator first.

Take this example:

\(\frac{2333}{10} - \frac{333}{10}\) ......... What is the power of 10 in this question... ??

Without solving, there is NO power of 10 in the numerator; however once you solve, its \(10^3\) in the numerator.......

Does it makes sense?
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 140
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 13:05
10! contains 2 trailing 0s....
5!=120 so we have 120*120*2. Thats two zeros.
So shouldn't the answer be 4?

We are allowed to split up fractions in this way, aren't we?[/quote]

Yes, we are allowed to split the fractions.

As far as the computation of this problem is concerned, we require to get rid of the "subtraction" sign first to get the required answer[/quote]

perfect sense, thank you!

Oh haha. simple logic. Got it, thanks!! So this isn't the right way to solve.
Although I tried to do 4/2- 3/2 which gives me 1/2, and (4-3)/2 also gives the same answer. I wonder why that doesnt work here[/quote]

Actually in the problem in question, they are asking to count the zero's; that's why its better to calculate the numerator first.

Take this example:

\(\frac{2333}{10} - \frac{333}{10}\) ......... What is the power of 10 in this question... ??

Without solving, there is NO power of 10 in the numerator; however once you solve, its \(10^3\) in the numerator.......

Does it makes sense?[/quote]

makes perfect sense, thank you. is this representative of a 750+ questions? or a 700+ questions
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2014, 09:18
For me, the easiest way to solve this question is as under:

7!*8*9*10 - 2(5!)^2
7! = 5040 & 5! = 120; Square of 120 = 12^2 *100 = 144*100=14400
Thus 5040*72*10 - 14400*2

As 504*72 = 36288;

36288*100 - 28800
3628800 - 28800 = 3600000 = 36*100000 = 36*10^5
Therefore n=5
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

CAT Tests
Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2015, 16:41
ninakath wrote:
For me, the easiest way to solve this question is as under:

7!*8*9*10 - 2(5!)^2
7! = 5040 & 5! = 120; Square of 120 = 12^2 *100 = 144*100=14400
Thus 5040*72*10 - 14400*2

As 504*72 = 36288;

36288*100 - 28800
3628800 - 28800 = 3600000 = 36*100000 = 36*10^5
Therefore n=5


Good ole' fashion brute force :)

Mind as well simplify it bit:
10! - 2*(5!)^2
5!(6*7*8*9*10-2(5!))
5!(30240-240)
5!(30000) ----> With the 5 and 2 from 5!, we get a total of 5 zeros.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2015
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 76

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2015, 00:36
Given expression : 10!-2(5!)(5!)
Since we have to find n in 10^n lets try and write it the given expression as a factor of 10
10!-2x5!x5!
5!(6.7.8.9.10-2x5!)=5!(120.7.4.9-2x5!)
since 5!=120
5!x5!(7.4.9-2)=5!x5!x250=14400x250=36x100000=36x10^5
hence greats value of n=5
E
_________________

Kudos if it helped you in any way

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2015, 03:10
aalriy wrote:
If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest value of n?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

10! contains two 5's. Therefore, it ends with two 0's. The second part 2x5!x5! contains two 5's. Hence, it is definitely divisible by 100.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29110
Followers: 4726

Kudos [?]: 49771 [0], given: 7403

If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2015, 03:14
Expert's post
matvan wrote:
aalriy wrote:
If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest value of n?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

10! contains two 5's. Therefore, it ends with two 0's. The second part 2x5!x5! contains two 5's. Hence, it is definitely divisible by 100.


That's correct but that's not what the question is asking. Check here: if-10-2-5-2-is-divisible-by-10-n-what-is-the-greatest-106060.html#p830879

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2015, 03:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the largest integer k such that 10! is divisible by arindamsur 1 11 Jun 2014, 00:54
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic If n = 10^10 and n^n = 10^d, what is the value of d? russ9 8 13 Sep 2013, 16:36
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the remainder, after division by 100, of 7^10 ? kkalyan 16 07 Oct 2011, 20:45
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic If 5^21 * 4^11 = 2 * 10^n, what is the value of n? Yalephd 19 08 Aug 2010, 20:12
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic If 5^21 X 4^11 = 2x10^n. What is the value of n? Trying_not_to_suck 7 02 Sep 2007, 13:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If 10! - 2*(5!)^2 is divisible by 10^n, what is the greatest

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.