Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2293
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1983 [0], given: 671

If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 13:59
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (medium)

Question Stats:

21% (01:27) correct 78% (00:54) wrong based on 56 sessions

Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Jan 2013, 03:31, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question, the tags and moved to PS forum.
Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 514
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 14:10
I'd plug in numbers here. Try the weird ones i.e. 0, -1, 1/2, etc. as it does not note that x or y are integers.

Plugging in 0, We find that statement 1 and 2 are false. Looking at what is left, the solution must be C, Statement III is correct since there is no answer for "None of the above".

Good question, what is the source?
_________________

My Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/
Most Recent Post: Time to Catch Up Updated: 1/9/14

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2293
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1983 [0], given: 671

Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 15:05
Expert's post
hi Hamm0

As you can see is Veritas prep.

I attacked the question in that way tell me if is correct

20x = 49y

20 = 2^2 *5

49 = 7^2

so basically we would have the second one in the LHS and viceversa to balance the equation BUT we should consider also 0 because 0=0 so is equal ( but of course)

1)x > ytrue not always 7^2> 2^2 *5 but we have also zero so x > y is not true

2) x^2 > y^2 we know that x and y are always positive so basically we can reduce the second statement to x > y and we know already insuff

3)\frac{x}{7} = integer yes \frac{7^2}{7}= integeralways

C is correct
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 514
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 15:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
hi Hamm0

As you can see is Veritas prep.

I attacked the question in that way tell me is correct

20x = 49y

20 = 2^2 *5

49 = 7^2

so basically we would have the second one in the LHS and viceversa to balance the equation BUT we should consider also 0 because 0=0 so is equal ( but of course)

1)x > ytrue not always 7^2> 2^2 *5 but we have also zero so x > y is not true

2) x^2 > y^2 we know that x and y are always positive so basically we can reduce the second statement to x > y and we know already insuff

3)\frac{x}{7} = integer yes \frac{7^2}{7}= integeralways

C is correct



A quick glance over says that is correct. Just a different approach. Often the GMAT will do this - offer several ways to solve a problem. No brownie points for doing the more difficult, so if you recognize it, go with whichever you're faster/more comfortable.
_________________

My Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/
Most Recent Post: Time to Catch Up Updated: 1/9/14

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2293
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1983 [0], given: 671

Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 15:26
Expert's post
hamm0 wrote:
carcass wrote:
hi Hamm0

As you can see is Veritas prep.

I attacked the question in that way tell me is correct

20x = 49y

20 = 2^2 *5

49 = 7^2

so basically we would have the second one in the LHS and viceversa to balance the equation BUT we should consider also 0 because 0=0 so is equal ( but of course)

1)x > ytrue not always 7^2> 2^2 *5 but we have also zero so x > y is not true

2) x^2 > y^2 we know that x and y are always positive so basically we can reduce the second statement to x > y and we know already insuff

3)\frac{x}{7} = integer yes \frac{7^2}{7}= integeralways

C is correct



A quick glance over says that is correct. Just a different approach. Often the GMAT will do this - offer several ways to solve a problem. No brownie points for doing the more difficult, so if you recognize it, go with whichever you're faster/more comfortable.


I asked here because I was not sure (better i'm sure at 99% ) in particular on statement 2.

But if you said ok ...many Thanks :)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 380
Location: India
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 15:42
carcass wrote:
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y

II. x^2 > y^2

III. x/7 is an integer

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and III
E) I, II, and III


We have 20x=49y
or x = 49y/20

I need not be true because x is greater than y only when y is positive.

II need not be true because both x and y can be zero. This applies to I also.

III also need not be true because x/7 =49y/140 = 7y/20.
We can see that x/7 need not be an integer as for example in the case of y=1.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18531
Followers: 3197

Kudos [?]: 21471 [4] , given: 2547

Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 03:49
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y

II. x^2 > y^2

III. x/7 is an integer

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and III
E) I, II, and III


This is a flawed question. None of the options must be true.

Notice that 20x = 49y holds true if x=y=0, thus I and II are not always true.

As for III: if x=1 and y=20/49, then x/7 won't be an integer.

If the question were:
If x and y are integers and 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

Then in this case III would be always true: RHS is a multiple of 7, thus LHS must also be a multiple of 7 and since 20 is not a multiple of 7, then x must be.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2293
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1983 [0], given: 671

Re: If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 04:31
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y

II. x^2 > y^2

III. x/7 is an integer

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and III
E) I, II, and III


This is a flawed question. None of the options must be true.

Notice that 20x = 49y holds true if x=y=0, thus I and II are not always true.

As for III: if x=1 and y=20/49, then x/7 won't be an integer.

If the question were:
If x and y are integers and 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

Then in this case III would be always true: RHS is a multiple of 7, thus LHS must also be a multiple of 7 and since 20 is not a multiple of 7, then x must be.

Hope it's clear.


I perfectly understand what you say. Something it was not unclear to me either.

Though, my primary question was is me approach was correct generally speaking.

Thanks,

Regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 292
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 99

f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 19:22
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y
II. x^2 > y^2
III. x/7 is an integer

A)I only
B)II only
C) III only
D)I and III
E)I, II, and III

OA after some discussion
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 626
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 135

Premium Member
Re: f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 21:49
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y
II. x^2 > y^2
III. x/7 is an integer

OA after some discussion


For x = 1,y = 20/49 and x>y. However, for x=-49,y = -20 and y>x. I is clearly not the right answer.
For y=0, x=0. Thus, even II doesn't hold good.
x/7 = 7y/20. For y=0, x/7 is an integer, however for y=1, it is not.
None of the options are (must be)true
_________________

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 102

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 23:05
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y
II. x^2 > y^2
III. x/7 is an integer


Just pick x=0 and y=0

Options I and II are false (0 is not > 0), only III is true. And holds true for each value of x because 4*5*x=7*7*y so or x=0 or x is a multiple of 7, in both cases \frac{x}{7} is an integer.
C

PS: given that x, y are integers. Otherwise none must be true

Edit post:
A)I only
B)II only
C) III only
D)I and III
E)I, II, and III

These are Veritas possible answers. The "none" option is not available, as you see. So we must assume that are integers and that the question is not complete (it must specify that x,y are integers). However the question itself , because x and y could be fractions (no integers) has an hypothetical "F)none of the above" as correct answer. No doubt.

The question is incomplete
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 292
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 99

Re: f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 23:16
if x =1/20 and y=1/49 still the equation holds right?

SO at this point of time option 3 also goes wrong...Any opinion on this?
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 626
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 529 [1] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 23:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Zarrolou wrote:
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y
II. x^2 > y^2
III. x/7 is an integer


Just pick x=0 and y=0

Options I and II are false (0 is not > 0), only III is true. And holds true for each value of x because 4*5*x=7*7*y so or x=0 or x is a multiple of 7, in both cases \frac{x}{7} is an integer.
C


That is not true. It has not been mentioned that x and y are integers.
_________________

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18531
Followers: 3197

Kudos [?]: 21471 [0], given: 2547

Re: f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 03:13
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

I. x > y
II. x^2 > y^2
III. x/7 is an integer

A)I only
B)II only
C) III only
D)I and III
E)I, II, and III

OA after some discussion


Merging similar topics.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: f 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?   [#permalink] 05 May 2013, 03:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
which of the following must be true? tejal777 2 06 Jun 2009, 03:57
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic If XY is divisible by 4, which of the following must be true bigfernhead 16 29 Nov 2008, 14:27
if X ____ = X, Which of the following must be true for all arjtryarjtry 8 26 Aug 2008, 09:41
Experts publish their posts in the topic Which of the following about triangle must be true? I. If a arjtryarjtry 10 31 Jul 2008, 20:06
which of the following must be true? (no restrictions of oops 8 29 May 2007, 16:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If 20x = 49y, which of the following must be true?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.