Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 370 [1] , given: 182

If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:05) correct 37% (01:06) wrong based on 118 sessions

(1) \frac{b}{2}-\frac{a}{2} is an integer.

(2) \frac{3b}{4}-\frac{a}{2} is an integer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Dec 2012, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Edited tags.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 14

Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
PraPon wrote:

We know that a, b are positive integers and that a<b

(1) --> b/2 - a/2 is integer. This means BOTH a, b are either Even or ODD.

Ex: a=1, b=3 ==> (b-a)/2 = 1 (Integer) (b is odd)
Also, when a=2, b=4 ==> (b-a)/2 = 1 (Integer) (b is even)
Not sufficient

(2) --> 3b/4 - a/2 is an integer.

This can be written as (3b-2a)/4 is an integer

Again both 3b and 2a need to be BOTH together even or odd for the expression to be an integer and the difference must be a multiple of 4.

But, 2a is always even. This means 3b needs to be even as well. 3xEven = Even. So b is even.

Answer is B.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 647 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 23:33
Expert's post
PraPon wrote:

Statement 1 leads us to two possibilities:
i) either the two i.e.a/2 and b/2 are of the form x.5 AND y.5 respectively
ii) both of them to be integers.

Both of these possibilities lead us to the integer form. So B CAN be even and CANNOT be even.

Statement 2- We have to keep in mind that a and b are integers. Hence 3b/4 can only be an integer or of the form x.75 or x.25
Since (xx.75 or xx.25)-yy.5 CANNOT be an integer, therefore B has to be an integer such that 3b/4 is an integer. For that to happen, B has to be a multiple of 4.
The only possibility when 3b/4 falls in the form of xx.5 is when B is an even integer.

OR

a/2 can only be either entirely an integer or of the form yy.5. So in such cases, 3b/4 - a/2 will be an integer ONLY when b is an even integer.

Hence B.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28918 [3] , given: 2871

Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(1) \frac{b}{2}-\frac{a}{2} is an integer --> \frac{b}{2}-\frac{a}{2}=integer --> b-a=2*integer=even. From b-a=even it follows that either both a and b are even or both odd. Not sufficient.

(2) \frac{3b}{4}-\frac{a}{2} is an integer --> \frac{3b}{4}-\frac{a}{2}=integer --> 3b-2a=4*integer=even. Since 2a=even, then we have that 3b-even=even --> 3b=even --> b=even. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 182

Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 08:39
Nothing can be simpler than Bunuel's explanation!! Thanks Bunuel!!

I pretty much didn't like Manhattan GMAT's explanation. I guess it was too lengthy and convoluted.

Manhattan GMAT explanation:-
For this yes/no question, or goal is to try to find a definitive answer: either b is always even or b is always something other than even (odd or a fraction / decimal). If b is even only some of the time, then that information would be insufficient to answer the question.

This is also a theory question; on such questions, we can try numbers or we can use theory. We can also test some numbers initially in order to help ourselves figure out or understand the theory more thoroughly and then use theory to help guide us through the rest of the problem.

(1) INSUFFICIENT: We can test cases here to get started. First, let’s test the case where both a and b are even.
If b = 4 and a = 2, then b/2-a/2=2-1=1. This makes sense using theory: we know that dividing an even integer by 2 will result in another integer. The variables a and b are both integers, so dividing each one by two will also yield integers, and one integer minus another integer will yield a third integer. Using both real numbers and theory, we have proved that the result will be an integer, so it’s possible for b to be even.

Could b also be odd? Dividing an odd number by 2 yields some integer followed by the decimal 0.5 (for example 3/2 = 1.5). If we subtract one x.5 number from another, we’ll still get an integer. For instance, if b = 5 and a = 3, then b/2-a/2 = 2.5 – 1.5 = 1. It’s also possible, then, for b to be odd. Since b can be either even or odd, this statement is not sufficient.

We have also now picked up something useful about the theory: an integer minus an integer will yield another integer. A non-integer minus another non-integer with the same decimal value (e.g., 2.5 – 1.5) will also yield an integer.

(2) SUFFICIENT: We’re going to test even and odd cases here again. We already determined during statement 1 that a/2 will be an integer if a is even. What would need to be true in order for 3b/4 to be an integer as well? The value of b would have to be some multiple of 4 (in order to “cancel out” the 4 on the bottom of the fraction). We can try the same numbers we tried last time: b = 4 and a = 2.
In this case, 3b/4-a/2 = 3 – 1 = 2. It’s possible, then, for b to be even.

Can b be odd? There are two possible cases to test: odd b and odd a, or odd b and even a. An even value for a will result in an integer for a/2; for this to make statement 2 true, we would need 3b/4 to be an integer as well. 3b/4 will never result in an integer when b is odd, however, because an odd divided by an even will never be an integer. For example, if b = 5 and a = 2, then 3b/4-a/2 = 15/4 – 1 = not an integer. We can dismiss the case where a is even and b is odd.

What about the case where both a and b are odd? If a is odd, then a/2 will be some number ending in 0.5. Can we make 3b/4 also end in 0.5, so that we’ll get an integer when subtracting the two? Let's try some odd positive integer possibilities for b: 3b/4 could equal 3/4, 9/4, 15/4, and so on, or the decimal equivalents 0.75, 2.25, 3.75, and so on. The pattern here alternates between 0.75 and 0.25; we cannot get 0.5. We can’t, then, get an integer value for 3b/4-a/2 as long as b is odd.

The correct answer is B.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:35
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \frac{b}{2}-\frac{a}{2} is an integer --> \frac{b}{2}-\frac{a}{2}=integer --> b-a=2*integer=even. From b-a=even it follows that either both a and b are even or both odd. Not sufficient.

(2) \frac{3b}{4}-\frac{a}{2} is an integer --> \frac{3b}{4}-\frac{a}{2}=integer --> 3b-2a=4*integer=even. Since 2a=even, then we have that 3b-even=even --> 3b=even --> b=even. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Straight the same reasoning. Good :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 14:27

(1) B/2- A/2 is an integer.

(2) 3*B/4 - A/2 is an integer
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28918 [0], given: 2871

Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 14:30
Expert's post
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 14:34
freespiritfox wrote:

B/2- A/2=i
B- A=2i 2i is even and can be obtained as Even-Even or Odd-Odd so 1 is not sufficient

3*B/4 - A/2=i
3*B - 2A= 4i
4i is even and can be obtained as Even-Even or Odd-Odd.
Now consider that the second term is even (2A) so the other must be even also.
So, 3*B is even; can we say that B is also even?
The answer is yes, because Even = Odd*Even = 3(odd)*B(even)

So 2 is sufficient

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

CEO
CEO
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2014, 14:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If a and b are positive integers such that a < b, is b even?   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2014, 14:28