Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [9]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Re: Another .... GMAT Terminology Question [#permalink]
Kudos
SlowGuy wrote:
I've been stuck at this question for quite sometime. I see the answer. I'm wondering if someone can explain what the answer should be. (and why?)

If a, b, c, and d are distinct even integers and a is prime, is the four digit number abcd divisible by 8 ?
(1) The two digit number ba is a multiple of 21, and 40 is a factor of the two digit number dc.
(2) 10 is a divisor of the two digit number bc, and the product of a and d is a perfect square.

(A)       Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
(B)       Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
(C)       BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
(D)       EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
(E)       Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.

Princeton Review (2012-05-22). 1,037 Practice Questions for the New GMAT, 2nd Edition:

Lets derive few pointers from this questions.

Firstly, a=2 becasue 2 is only even prime integer.
Secondly, we should concentrate on the values for b, c, d becasue if "bcd" is divisible by 8 than the four digit number abcd is divisible by 8.

My answer is E because i'm not able to find out from both the option that whether "bcd" is divisible by 8 or not.

Any takers?

Originally posted by Capricorn369 on 07 Sep 2012, 21:12.
Last edited by Capricorn369 on 08 Sep 2012, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Capricorn369 wrote:
SlowGuy wrote:
I've been stuck at this question for quite sometime. I see the answer. I'm wondering if someone can explain what the answer should be. (and why?)

If a, b, c, and d are distinct even integers and a is prime, is the four digit number abcd divisible by 8 ?
(1) The two digit number ba is a multiple of 21, and 40 is a factor of the two digit number dc.
(2) 10 is a divisor of the two digit number bc, and the product of a and d is a perfect square.

(A)       Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
(B)       Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
(C)       BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
(E)       Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.

Princeton Review (2012-05-22). 1,037 Practice Questions for the New GMAT, 2nd Edition:

Lets derive few pointers from this questions.

Firstly, a=2 becasue 2 is only even prime integer.
Secondly, we should concentrate on the values for b, c, d becasue if b+c+d is divisible by 8 than the four digit number abcd is divisible by 8.

My answer is E because i'm not able to find out from both the option that whether b+c+d is divisible by 8 or not.

Any takers?

The divisibility rule for 8 says that the three digit number formed by the last digits must be divisible by 8, and not the sum of the last three digits.
So, ABC as a three digit number should be divisible by 8 and not the sum A + B + C. See 206 as an example.

Originally posted by EvaJager on 08 Sep 2012, 00:31.
Last edited by EvaJager on 08 Sep 2012, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [4]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
SlowGuy wrote:

Necessarily \(a=2\) being the only even prime number.

(1) \(ba\) must be an even multiple of \(21,\) and since \(a=2,\) necessarily \(ba = 42,\) so \(b=4.\)
\(dc\) must be a multiple of \(40\); the only possibility is \(dc=80\) (\(dc\) cannot be \(40,\) as \(d\) must be different
from \(b=4\)). So \(d=8\) and \(c=0.\)
In conclusion, \(abcd=2408\).
Sufficient.
In fact, doesn't matter if this number is divisible by \(8,\) there is just one four digit number which fulfills the given conditions. In particular, \(2408\) is divisible by \(8.\)

(2) \(bc\) is a multiple of \(10,\) therefore \(c=0.\)
The product \(2\cdot{d}\) must be a perfect square, and since \(a=2\) and \(d\) must be different from \(a\) and \(c,\) the only possibility is \(d=8.\)
The four digit number is \(2b08\), and \(b\) can be either \(4\) or \(6.\)
Both \(2408\) and \(2608\) are divisible by \(8.\)
Sufficient.

Answer D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618745 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Expert Reply
SlowGuy wrote:

Merging similar topics. Please refer tot he solutions above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Sorry about that. As you can tell, I am a new poster here.

Also, thanks a lot for meging the topics.

Bunuel wrote:
Merging similar topics. Please refer tot he solutions above.

Also, please read carefully and follow:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
If a,b,c, d are distinct even integers and a is prime, is [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Question is:

From Statement 2, we know that

10 is a divisor of the two digit number bc

in which case it must be that c=0, since multiples of 10 end in 0.

and the product of ad is a perfect square.

Further, the product ad, which is equal to 2d, is a perfect square. Since d can only be 4, 6 or 8, (we've used 0 already), we can see that d must be 8. So we know that our number is 2b08, where b is either 4 or 6, and since 408 and 608 are each divisible by 8, we have sufficient information.

Now, there's either a typo in the original post or in the book, because the statements contradict each other. In Statement 1, perhaps it says 'dc' instead of 'cd' in the original source?

Shouldn't b= 2 or b=8?
how is 2*4 or 2*6 a perfect square?
Then ofcourse, b=2 is ruled out due to redundancy.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: If a,b,c, d are distinct even integers and a is prime, is [#permalink]
question stem says 40 is factor of cd and not dc

EvaJager wrote:
SlowGuy wrote:

Necessarily \(a=2\) being the only even prime number.

(1) \(ba\) must be an even multiple of \(21,\) and since \(a=2,\) necessarily \(ba = 42,\) so \(b=4.\)
\(dc\) must be a multiple of \(40\); the only possibility is \(dc=80\) (\(dc\) cannot be \(40,\) as \(d\) must be different
from \(b=4\)). So \(d=8\) and \(c=0.\)
In conclusion, \(abcd=2408\).
Sufficient.
In fact, doesn't matter if this number is divisible by \(8,\) there is just one four digit number which fulfills the given conditions. In particular, \(2408\) is divisible by \(8.\)

(2) \(bc\) is a multiple of \(10,\) therefore \(c=0.\)
The product \(2\cdot{d}\) must be a perfect square, and since \(a=2\) and \(d\) must be different from \(a\) and \(c,\) the only possibility is \(d=8.\)
The four digit number is \(2b08\), and \(b\) can be either \(4\) or \(6.\)
Both \(2408\) and \(2608\) are divisible by \(8.\)
Sufficient.

Answer D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts