Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 02:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

76% (01:25) correct 24% (00:15) wrong based on 29 sessions
If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete the same task in 6 hours, how long will it take if both of them work together to complete the task?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This is a problem of Arithmetic, related to work and time. It is a very interesting problem but I am unable to solve it. I am still trying to solve it, I am thinking that it took (3 + 6) / 2 = 4.5, mean of the time taken by the two. But, my answer is wrong.

Please explain the logic.

Thanks

Last edited by walker on 08 Mar 2010, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3500

Kudos [?]: 26435 [2] , given: 2712

Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nickk wrote:
I haven't seen anyone post the formula so I'll go ahead and do it

1/T = 1/A + 1/B + .... 1/N

so if you have N entities which can do the same job in different amounts of time (denoted by A, B, ..., N above), the total amount of time it takes them to do the same tas working together is T.

I think you can solve all similar problems using this formula.

The above is correct and it's good to memorize cases for two and three entities (workers, pumps, ...):

General formula for calculating the time needed for two workers A and B working simultaneously to complete one job:

Given that a and b are the respective individual times needed for A and B workers (pumps, ...) to complete the job, then time needed for A and B working simultaneously to complete the job equals to T_{(A&B)}=\frac{a*b}{a+b} hours, which is reciprocal of the sum of their respective rates (\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{t}).

General formula for calculating the time needed for three A, B and C workers working simultaneously to complete one job:

T_{(A&B&C)}=\frac{a*b*c}{ab+ac+bc} hours.

Also for rate problems it's good to know that:

TIME to complete one job=Reciprocal of rate. eg 6 hours needed to complete one job (time) --> 1/6 of the job done in 1 hour (rate).

Time, rate and job in work problems are in the same relationship as time, speed (rate) and distance.

Time*Rate=Distance
Time*Rate=Job

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:08
I made tables. I hope this is right or I did a bunch of work for no reason. I picked the work to be traveling a distance of 12 miles

[list=]Separate
A B
R 4 mph 2 mph
T 3 hrs 6 hrs
D 12 mi 12 mi

Together
A B Together
R 4 mph 2 mph
T t t t
D 12-d d 12 mi

4t=12-d and 2t=d
t=3-d/4
so
2(3-d/4)=d
6-.5d=d
6=1.5d
d=4
so
Together with d set to 4
A B Together
R 4 mph 2 mph
T t t t
D 8 mi 4 mi 12 mi

4t=8
so
t=2 hrs
[/list]

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Last edited by vannbj on 08 Mar 2010, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:17
david01 wrote:
If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete the same task in 6 hours, how long will it take if both of them work together to complete the task?

This is a problem of Arithmetic, related to work and time. It is a very interesting problem but I am unable to solve it. I am still trying to solve it, I am thinking that it took (3 + 6) / 2 = 4.5, mean of the time taken by the two. But, my answer is wrong.

Thanks

A do 1/3 task in 1 hour
B do 1/6 task in 1 hour

A & B together do 1/3 + 1/6 = 1/2 task in 1 hour.
So they complete task in 2 hours.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:19

A can complete task in 3 hours. In 1 hour A can complete 1/3 of the work.
B can complete task in 6 hours. In 1 hour B can complete 1/6 of the work.

Both together can complete how much work in an hour = 1/3 + 1/6 = 3/6 = 1/2

So 1/2 work can be completed in 1 hour by A and B together.
How much time it takes to complete the work = 2/1 hours = 2 hours.

Hope it is clear.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 12:06

so if you have N entities which can do the same job in different amounts of time (denoted by A, B, ..., N above), the total amount of time it takes them to do the same tas working together is T.

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 01:55
david01 wrote:

Thanks

Let task be writing 18 pages (multiple of 3 and 6)\

A writes 18/3 = 6 pages an hour
B write 18/6 = 3 pages per hour

Both write 9 pages per hour
So total time required is 18/9=2 hours while working together...

Hope this helps you in solving such problems without working with x, y fractions.

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 10:22
Bunuel wrote:
nickk wrote:

The above is correct and it's good to memorize cases for two and three entities (workers, pumps, ...):

General formula for calculating the time needed for two workers A and B working simultaneously to complete one job:

Given that a and b are the respective individual times needed for A and B workers (pumps, ...) to complete the job, then time needed for A and B working simultaneously to complete the job equals to T_{(A&B)}=\frac{a*b}{a+b} hours, which is reciprocal of the sum of their respective rates (\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{t}).

General formula for calculating the time needed for three A, B and C workers working simultaneously to complete one job:

T_{(A&B&C)}=\frac{a*b*c}{ab+ac+bc} hours.

Also for rate problems it's good to know that:

TIME to complete one job=Reciprocal of rate. eg 6 hours needed to complete one job (time) --> 1/6 of the job done in 1 hour (rate).

Time, rate and job in work problems are in the same relationship as time, speed (rate) and distance.

Time*Rate=Distance
Time*Rate=Job

Hope it helps.

Kudos Bunuel!!

Well, in some cases there are multiple persons doing the same job. e.g 5 men doing a job in 6 hours, while 9 women doing the same job in 6 hours & 10 boys doing the same job in 8 hours.

What's the formula for such cases?

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 05:12
Hussain15 wrote:
Well, in some cases there are multiple persons doing the same job. e.g 5 men doing a job in 6 hours, while 9 women doing the same job in 6 hours & 10 boys doing the same job in 8 hours.
What's the formula for such cases?

Even I would be interested to know if there exists a formula for such problems. I am unusually weak in such work-rate problems and I struggle frequently. Any help would be appreciated.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 20:05
This is a unit rate problem.

RULE:
1. When you are given something like, something takes x hours to complete, then the rate is 1/x
2.When working together, the rates add.

Here, A's rate is 1/3, B's rate is 1/6

So, working together, A + B = 1/3 + 1/6 = 3/6 = 1/2

Now inverse again to find the number of hours (since unit rate) = 2 hours

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

DS - If negative answer only, still sufficient. No need to find exact solution.
PS - Always look at the answers first
CR - Read the question stem first, hunt for conclusion
SC - Meaning first, Grammar second
RC - Mentally connect paragraphs as you proceed. Short = 2min, Long = 3-4 min

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 11:26
here is the easiest approach.

A can complete 1/3 of the task in one hour, while B can complete 1/6 of the task is one hour. the formula to use is as following to get how much can they both achieve in one hour:

1/3+1/6=1/x

common denominator====>6

2/6+1/6=3/6 after simplification becomes 1/2

so both of them can finish the one half of the task in one hour, and in order to get the number of hours for the whole task just reverse the fraction, which will be 2

hope this helps

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Facing problem with this question...... [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 06:56
Though this was posted long ago, the questions raised by Hussain and Siddrat are quite good.I also need Bunuel here. But, my take on Hussain's question is:
if m, w and b represent the times a man, a woman and a boy take in that order. I think we could get the rate for a single person of each category: 1/( No. of worker * Time for all workers)
Thus, the rates for a single person: man=1/(5*6) , woman =1/(9*6), boy=1/(10*8)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 22:00
\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{x}

\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{2}

Answer: time = reciprocal of rate = 2 hours

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 22:00