Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 89

GMAT ToolKit User
If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 16:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (02:45) correct 21% (02:03) wrong based on 66 sessions
If a certain bus line's ridership in July was \frac{3}{5} of its ridership in June, and its ridership in August was \frac{1}{3} of its ridership in July, then the bus line's ridership in June was how many times the average (arithmetic mean) of its ridership in July and August?

(A) \frac{1}{2}

(B) 1\frac{2}{3}

(C) 2

(D) 2\frac{1}{2}

(E) 5

Relatively easy problem. For some reason I'm getting different answer when I tried using variables and when I tried using numbers. I think my variable approach is wrong, can someone explain using variable approach?

Source: Sackmann's 1800 set
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to GMAT Club? Start here

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
megafan wrote:
If a certain bus line's ridership in July was \frac{3}{5} of its ridership in June, and its ridership in August was \frac{1}{3} of its ridership in July, then the bus line's ridership in June was how many times the average (arithmetic mean) of its ridership in July and August?

(A) \frac{1}{2}

(B) 1\frac{2}{3}

(C) 2

(D) 2\frac{1}{2}

(E) 5

Relatively easy problem. For some reason I'm getting different answer when I tried using variables and when I tried using numbers. I think my variable approach is wrong, can someone explain using variable approach?

Source: Sackmann's 1800 set

Let the ridership in June be x. Then in july, the ridership would be 3x/5 and thereby in August be x/5. The mean of riderships in the month of July and August would be 2x/5 (no need to calculate, just pick the in between number).
Now the question asks : the ridership in June is how many times that of the average that we just found.
Therefore x/(2x/5)=5/2.
Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 19:50
Thanks Marcab. I made a silly mistake when taking the average with the reciprocal and arrived at 8x/5, which of course should be 2x/5. Anyway, I tend to make these silly mistakes once in a while, especially when I am doing the Math in my head. I will practice to make good use of my scratch paper from now.

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 19:50
Thanks Marcab. I made a silly mistake when taking the average with the reciprocal and arrived at 8x/5, which of course should be 2x/5. Anyway, I tend to make these silly mistakes once in a while, especially when I am doing the Math in my head. I will practice to make good use of my scratch paper from now.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 19:53
Expert's post
Well, if you commit a mistake then try to use number picking. On the test, the last thing you would want is being stuck to a problem.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5039 [3] , given: 164

Re: If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
megafan wrote:

Bad idea! Try to stick to doing the calculations in your mind till it becomes second nature. Then you will feel that writing down is too cumbersome. Initially, there will be more errors but later on, you will get very efficient.
Also, if trying to solve orally, making equations mentally isn't the appropriate approach. Take numbers instead:

So there is a 5 and a 3 in the denominator.
Say ridership in June = 15
Ridership in July = (3/5)*15 = 9
Ridership in Aug = (1/3)*9 = 3
Avg ridership in July and Aug = 6

Required answer = 15/6 = 5/2
Now this can be easily done in your mind. You can write 15, 9, 3 and 6 on your scratch pad if you wish but that should be just to ensure that you don't lose focus.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: If a certain bus line's ridership in July was 3/5 of its   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2013, 20:25