Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 358
Location: United States (WI)
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 64 [2] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 16:42
2
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:29) correct 60% (01:19) wrong based on 539 sessions
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

(1) a = b^2
(2) a^2 = b^4

This comes from the MGMAT advanced quant guide #4-9.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Jul 2013, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25206
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25047 [3] , given: 2702

Re: DS question from MGMAT advanced quant [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 10:16
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pavanpuneet wrote:
From the last post from Manager, he says: from (1)
a = b^2 ==> b= Mod(a)
from here, you can say that (b^4+3) > a^2.
cz b^2 = a or, b^4 = a^2 (squaring both side)
==> (b^4+X) > a^2 (where x is +ve no)...

Then why cant we say that option B alone is also sufficient and hence answer should be D..

To further explain...
from stem: b^4+3>a^2; thus, from 1, a=b^2; squaring results a^2=b^4; thus clearly stem is satisfied. Further this condition is nothing but condition 2. Please explain where am I wrong?


THE QUESTION SHOULD READ:
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

Notice that we cannot cross-multiply \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{b^4 +3}, since we don't know whether a>0 or a<0, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity). Also notice that we don't have the same issue with b^4 +3, since this expression is always positive: b^4 +3=nonnegative+positive=positive. So, 321kumarsushant's first step is not correct.

(1) a=b^2 --> is \frac{1}{b^2} > \frac{b^2}{b^4 +3}? Now, since b^2>0 then here we can safely cross-multiply and the question becomes: is b^4+3>b^4? --> is 3>0? Answer ot this question is YES.Sufficient.

(2) a^2=b^4 --> is \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{a^2 +3}? We have the same problem: we cannot cross-multiply since we don't know the sign of a. If a=1 then the answer to the question would be YES but if a=-1 then the answer to the question would be NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 01:42
Its clear now! Thanks again for the prompt response Bunuel
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2011
Posts: 42
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 18:14
Bunuel never ceases to amaze me. His reasoning is so sharp and his methods so efficient, I bet he conquers every problem in under 30 seconds. I have been following his posts extensively hoping to learn to think like he does. Lifelong fan right here.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Posts: 16
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

Re: DS question from MGMAT advanced quant [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 04:26
Bunuel wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
From the last post from Manager, he says: from (1)
a = b^2 ==> b= Mod(a)
from here, you can say that (b^4+3) > a^2.
cz b^2 = a or, b^4 = a^2 (squaring both side)
==> (b^4+X) > a^2 (where x is +ve no)...

Then why cant we say that option B alone is also sufficient and hence answer should be D..

To further explain...
from stem: b^4+3>a^2; thus, from 1, a=b^2; squaring results a^2=b^4; thus clearly stem is satisfied. Further this condition is nothing but condition 2. Please explain where am I wrong?


THE QUESTION SHOULD READ:
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

Notice that we cannot cross-multiply \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{b^4 +3}, since we don't know whether a>0 or a<0, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity). Also notice that we don't have the same issue with b^4 +3, since this expression is always positive: b^4 +3=nonnegative+positive=positive. So, 321kumarsushant's first step is not correct.

(1) a=b^2 --> is \frac{1}{b^2} > \frac{b^2}{b^4 +3}? Now, since b^2>0 then here we can safely cross-multiply and the question becomes: is b^4+3>b^4? --> is 3>0? Answer ot this question is YES.Sufficient.

(2) a^2=b^4 --> is \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{a^2 +3}? We have the same problem: we cannot cross-multiply since we don't know the sign of a. If a=1 then the answer to the question would be YES but if a=-1 then the answer to the question would be NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.



Hi Bunuel,
Great explanation. seeing a^2 in case 2 i quickly jumped and marked D as my answer. But here's a doubt that i have:
in case 2: what is given to us ... is a^2=b^4.
now, since i cant cross multiply my question's equation to get a^2 and then substitute with the value for a^2 n get the answer. so instead, cant i just take a square-root on both sides of my case2 equation.??

which gives me......
a^2 = b^4 ................ now taking root on both sides, i get ((p.s: i can take square-root on both sides as i know that it wont affect the sign(-/+ve) of either of a or b.))
a = b^2 .................. now that i know a is +ve .. i substitute just like I did in the first case n get the answer as D...wouldn't this be correct???

Please do share your thooughts.
Cheers!
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25206
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25047 [0], given: 2702

Re: DS question from MGMAT advanced quant [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 04:40
Expert's post
rawjetraw wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
From the last post from Manager, he says: from (1)
a = b^2 ==> b= Mod(a)
from here, you can say that (b^4+3) > a^2.
cz b^2 = a or, b^4 = a^2 (squaring both side)
==> (b^4+X) > a^2 (where x is +ve no)...

Then why cant we say that option B alone is also sufficient and hence answer should be D..

To further explain...
from stem: b^4+3>a^2; thus, from 1, a=b^2; squaring results a^2=b^4; thus clearly stem is satisfied. Further this condition is nothing but condition 2. Please explain where am I wrong?


THE QUESTION SHOULD READ:
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

Notice that we cannot cross-multiply \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{b^4 +3}, since we don't know whether a>0 or a<0, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity). Also notice that we don't have the same issue with b^4 +3, since this expression is always positive: b^4 +3=nonnegative+positive=positive. So, 321kumarsushant's first step is not correct.

(1) a=b^2 --> is \frac{1}{b^2} > \frac{b^2}{b^4 +3}? Now, since b^2>0 then here we can safely cross-multiply and the question becomes: is b^4+3>b^4? --> is 3>0? Answer ot this question is YES.Sufficient.

(2) a^2=b^4 --> is \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{a^2 +3}? We have the same problem: we cannot cross-multiply since we don't know the sign of a. If a=1 then the answer to the question would be YES but if a=-1 then the answer to the question would be NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.



Hi Bunuel,
Great explanation. seeing a^2 in case 2 i quickly jumped and marked D as my answer. But here's a doubt that i have:
in case 2: what is given to us ... is a^2=b^4.
now, since i cant cross multiply my question's equation to get a^2 and then substitute with the value for a^2 n get the answer. so instead, cant i just take a square-root on both sides of my case2 equation.??

which gives me......
a^2 = b^4 ................ now taking root on both sides, i get ((p.s: i can take square-root on both sides as i know that it wont affect the sign(-/+ve) of either of a or b.))
a = b^2 .................. now that i know a is +ve .. i substitute just like I did in the first case n get the answer as D...wouldn't this be correct???

Please do share your thooughts.
Cheers!


The point is that \sqrt{a^2}=|a|, not a. For example if a=-1, then \sqrt{a^2}=\sqrt{1}=1=|a|=-a, not a.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Posts: 16
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

Re: DS question from MGMAT advanced quant [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 00:29
whoops :P ! thanks a ton bunuel. Got it. :-D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 01:05
rjkaufman21 wrote:
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

(1) a = b^2
(2) a^2 = b^4

This comes from the MGMAT advanced quant guide #4-9.


Statement I is sufficient:
(1/b^2) > a/(b^4 + 3)

We can cross multiply since both the denominators are positive for sure
b^4 + 3 > b^2(b^2)
B^4 + 3 > B^4 - Well that is true every time

Statement II is insufficient
a^2 = b^4
If a is and b are positive then the equation will turn to: B^4 + 3 > B^4 In that case YES
If a is negative and b is positive then a = -b^2, substituting it we will get:
b^4 + 3 < -1 (b^2)(b^2)
b^4 + 3 < -(b^4) - That is not true

So we have a YES and a NO hence statement II is insufficient

Answer is A
_________________

Perfect Scores

If you think our post was valuable then please encourage us with Kudos :)

To learn GMAT for free visit:

http://Perfect-Scores.com
http://Youtube.com/PerfectScores
http://Facebook.com/PerfectScores

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 224
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 129

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 01:58
rjkaufman21 wrote:
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

(1) a = b^2
(2) a^2 = b^4

This comes from the MGMAT advanced quant guide #4-9.


a = b^2 -> 1/a = 1/b^2 = b^2/ b^4
b^4 < b^4 + 3 -> 1/a = b^2/b^4> b^2/b^4 +3
So (1) is sufficient

a^2 = b^4 -> a = b^2 or a=-b^2
Since there are two possible answers for a, 1/a can be either larger or smaller than a/(b^4+3)

So A is the answer
_________________

.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 69

If a ≠ 0, is (1/a) > a/(b^4+3) ? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 04:06
If A \neq 0, is \frac{1}{A} > \frac{A}{B^4+3} ?

(1) A = B^2
(2) A^2 = B^4
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Schools: Tepper '16 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Re: If a ≠ 0, is (1/a) > a/(b^4+3) ? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 04:41
Hi ,

I have to find out whether the inequality is true or false and whatever the result it is enough to answer the question.

I solved it this way . Since nothing about A and B is mentioned . I have an option even to pick up irrational numbers also.

Choice A : A=B^2 , 1/B^2 > B^2/(B^4+3) => 3>0 .. which is true . So i can answer the question.

Choice B: A^2 = B^4 => A= +B^2 or A=-B^2 . When A = +B^2 then the result is same as choice A and it is true.

When A = -B^2 then -1/B^2 > -B^2/(B^4 +3) => -(B^4 +3 ) > -B^4 , now this equation becomes (B^4 + 3) < B^4 as "-" reverses the equality .

3 < 0 which is false , hence this statement alone is not sufficient .

Both together : It is not even worth to try both together because Choice A is a subset of Choice B.

Hence A is the answer .

Key turning point : to realize that A = +B^2 and A = - B^2.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 37

If a ≠ 0, is (1/a) > a/(b^4+3) ? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 05:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
pratikshr wrote:
If A \neq 0, is \frac{1}{A} > \frac{A}{B^4+3} ?

(1) A = B^2
(2) A^2 = B^4


It's a Yes/No question. From question itself we can deduce that (B^4+3) will always be positive.
Rephrasing question -> \frac{B^4+3}{A} > \frac{A}{1} ?
Note that ,we can not multiply A in this inequality since A might be negative too.

Stmt 1 -
A = B^2 => A is square of some number (B in this case) so A will always be positive. So multiply with A both side ->
squaring statement 1 at both sides gives us A^2 = B^4 so we now can multiply with A at both sides as A will always be positive => Sufficient

Stmt 2 -
A^2 = B^4 => Here A can be negative also as shown below -
A = B^2 or A = -B^2
So this statement is not Sufficient.

Hence A.
_________________

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User
If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2014, 05:42
I would like to know what's wrong with my thinking.

(1) Since a^2 = b^2 are squares, a could be positive or negative. Hence we don't know if the inequality holds.

(2) Since a^2 = b^4 a must be positive because b^2=a --> b>0. Inequality holds.

You see I'm confused. :?

Btw: Do I have a different question than you guys? In my book statement 1 states a^2=b^2?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25206
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25047 [0], given: 2702

Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 02:24
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Learning
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 38
Location: India
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE: Research (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 00:48
Can you explain this part?

a^2=b^4 --> is \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{a^2 +3}?

Bunuel wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
From the last post from Manager, he says: from (1)
a = b^2 ==> b= Mod(a)
from here, you can say that (b^4+3) > a^2.
cz b^2 = a or, b^4 = a^2 (squaring both side)
==> (b^4+X) > a^2 (where x is +ve no)...

Then why cant we say that option B alone is also sufficient and hence answer should be D..

To further explain...
from stem: b^4+3>a^2; thus, from 1, a=b^2; squaring results a^2=b^4; thus clearly stem is satisfied. Further this condition is nothing but condition 2. Please explain where am I wrong?


THE QUESTION SHOULD READ:
If a does not equal to zero, is 1/a > a/(b^4 +3)?

Notice that we cannot cross-multiply \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{b^4 +3}, since we don't know whether a>0 or a<0, for the first case we should keep the same sign but for the second case we should flip the sign (when multiplying by negative number we should flip the sign of the inequity). Also notice that we don't have the same issue with b^4 +3, since this expression is always positive: b^4 +3=nonnegative+positive=positive. So, 321kumarsushant's first step is not correct.

(1) a=b^2 --> is \frac{1}{b^2} > \frac{b^2}{b^4 +3}? Now, since b^2>0 then here we can safely cross-multiply and the question becomes: is b^4+3>b^4? --> is 3>0? Answer ot this question is YES.Sufficient.

(2) a^2=b^4 --> is \frac{1}{a} > \frac{a}{a^2 +3}? We have the same problem: we cannot cross-multiply since we don't know the sign of a. If a=1 then the answer to the question would be YES but if a=-1 then the answer to the question would be NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

_________________

If you like my post give me kudos.

Arindam Sur
Researcher, Academian

Re: If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3)   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2014, 00:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If a ≠ 0, is (1/a) > a/(b^4+3) ? pratikshr 0 04 Aug 2014, 05:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic If a NOT=0, is 1/a>a/(b^4+3) ? bagdbmba 0 31 Jul 2013, 09:53
Is (A/B)^3<(AB)^3 1) A>0 2) AB>0 DeeptiM 6 05 Sep 2011, 01:18
if a not equal to Zero, 1/a < a/(b^4+3) 1. a^2=b^2 2. a^2 sudhir18n 7 18 Jun 2011, 10:32
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is a>0? (1) a^3-a<0 (2) 1-a^2<0 KocharRohit 14 12 Nov 2009, 06:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a does not = 0, is 1/a > a/(b^4 + 3)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.