Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a single strain of plant is used for a given crop over a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

If a single strain of plant is used for a given crop over a [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 10:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:33) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
If a single strain of plant is used for a given crop over a wide area, a practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods, it increases the likelihood that the impact of a single crop disease or pest will be disastrous.

(A) If a single strain of plant is used for a given crop over a wide area, a practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods, it
(B) If a single strain of plant is used for a given crop over a wide area, as is fostered by modern seed-marketing methods, it
(C) A practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods, a single strain of plant used for a given crop over a wide area
(D) A single strain of plant used for a given crop over a wide area, a practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods,
(E) The use of single strain of plant for a given crop over a wide area, a practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods,
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 10:13
Pls respond with the your line of reasoning and explain why you booted out an answer choice.

I will post the OA after some discussion. I narrowed it down to 2 choices and eliminated the "correct answer" but would like to hear your perspective.

regards
gmataquaguy
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 10:18
Ans: E

"a practice" in the parenthetical part of the sentence should refer to a practice in the main clause. only option E has a correct reference of "a practice" to "The use", rest of the options have an incorrect reference
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 10:48
I'm not sure i understand what you by the following:

"a practice" in the parenthetical part of the sentence should refer to a practice in the main clause."

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that. I see the word "practice" being used only once. I narrowed the answer choices to D, E. I thought both were equally good. I choice "D" because the clause "A single strain of plant used for a given crop over a wide area" modifies the entire phrase "a practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods"..........I think this is called an "absolute composition"

"only option E has a correct reference of "a practice" to "The use", rest of the options have an incorrect reference"
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 11:01
I used the logic in the following thread:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ght=#46361

Based on the logic in this thread why is D wrong? Anyone?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 11:05
D?

Its true that it should be between D and E.

My reasoning is " a single strain ..........increases the likelihood"

Also used and fostered go well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 12:22
This is modifier SC.

The phrase that comes before "practice" must indeed be a practice or something similar.

ACD all have "strain of plant" being referred to as a "practice" which is clearly wrong.

B has incorrect/ambiguous pronoun reference "it"

E is the best answer. This is not a case of absolute construction.

The following might be an eg. of an absolute contruction:
A single strain of plant is being used for a given crop over a wide area, strain that is one of the most popular ones used these days.

ash

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2004, 05:29
Quote:
(E) The use of single strain of plant for a given crop over a wide area, a practice fostered by modern seed-marketing methods,

Shoud it not start like this
The use of a single strain of plant...

D does not have that error and hence I think its the answer...Someone please counter this...

--

./abisurd
Not absurd :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2004, 23:22
my ans is e

ash was right thi is a modifier type.

the highly imporatnt thing to watch here '' the use of '' which is a PRACTICE... and it is this that should be modified all others are vaguely structured or incorrectly modiifed parts...

B ''it'' does not have the referent noun ...is IT the single strain or th the use of the strain that is refered here....

abisurd: it need not be A single why cos ''single strain'' can be one word or a type of a strain like red -gene or bue-colour... where ''single'' could be an adjective as red and blue are so ...

hope that helps ! ofcourse if the ans is wrong thn my whole thesis is gone

Have fun :)

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 01:22
E is best.

(D) is wrong, because it is not the grain that increases, rather it is the use of grain that increases.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 05:56
E looks fine....I have no explanation on the others

To Strive, To Seek and Not to Yield

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 15:36