Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [152]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [58]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [14]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the statements abo [#permalink]
Kudos
TehJay wrote:
kimakim wrote:

We're given A -> B, B -> C, and C -> D, and told they're all true. Since they're all true, you can say A -> D. Then by the law of contrapositive, ~D -> ~A. The answer is (C).

(B) isn't correct - this is the inverse of B -> C and does not have the same truth table.

Yes, the logic is right, if we assume that ALL of the statement should be exist at the same time.
But consider if there is only C. Then C->D, and we don;t need A or B to come up with D. Hence if "not D" doesn't imply "not A".

On the other hand answer B "If not B then not C" is right, when we assume that all statements can exist independently of each other.

So, I am still confused :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [12]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the statements abo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
kimakim wrote:
TehJay wrote:
kimakim wrote:

We're given A -> B, B -> C, and C -> D, and told they're all true. Since they're all true, you can say A -> D. Then by the law of contrapositive, ~D -> ~A. The answer is (C).

(B) isn't correct - this is the inverse of B -> C and does not have the same truth table.

Yes, the logic is right, if we assume that ALL of the statement should be exist at the same time.
But consider if there is only C. Then C->D, and we don;t need A or B to come up with D. Hence if "not D" doesn't imply "not A".

On the other hand answer B "If not B then not C" is right, when we assume that all statements can exist independently of each other.

So, I am still confused :(

You're told that all of them are true, so you can't just take them independently and pretend that A doesn't exist. Also, irregardless of whether you're looking at A or not, (B) cannot be correct. This is the logical inverse, which is a fallacy. In logic, when dealing with implications, p -> q is equivalent to ~q -> ~p, but not equivalent to ~p -> ~q (inverse) or q -> p (converse). To see this, you can draw up the truth tables:

Attachment:
Truth Table.jpg
Truth Table.jpg [ 59.45 KiB | Viewed 55695 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [9]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I learned this today (forgot the original poster but kudos to him). His/her quote went as
If A then B , could be rephrased as if Not B then Not A and if B then may be A.

Take the example of: If I am in France, I am in Europe

If I am not in Europe, I am not in France. ( Not B then Not A)

If I am in Europe, I may be in France ( B then may be A).

All other violate this logical rule or add extra information.

So in the given example by reversing all the signs we get....
~D => ~C
~C => ~B
~B => ~A
Thus simply substituting....
~D => ~A
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [6]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
jamifahad wrote:
If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) If D, then A.
(B) If not B, then not C.
(C) If not D, then not A.
(D) If D, then E.
(E) If not A, then not D.

I saw the OA in the mail but C does make sense.

(A) If D, then A
A will definitely result in D doesn't mean someone else can't trigger D. Maybe Z can spawn D. So, we can have D by Z. A is nowhere in the picture.

Same logic as before. C is triggered by B doesn't mean ONLY B can trigger C. GHOST may trigger C. So, we have GHOST and C., and no B. This becomes false.

Definitely true. If we don't see D, it means there CAN't be A. Know this. As soon as A appears, at least B,C,D also appear. Thus, if don't see D, there can't be any A. However, if we see D, there is no guarantee that A is there. CORRECT.

(D) If D, then E.
What is E.

(E)If not A, then not D.
As I said in option "C", D can be spawned by something else. Say GHOST->C->D
Not true.

Ans: "C"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
ok here's a simpler way, if you are good with quant inequalities

if A -- > B, if B -- C , If C -- >

which implies if A -- > D

if you negate, then it becomes the opposite ~D -- > ~A which is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
viks4gmat wrote:

well i love the Qyant approach: did you mean to say something like:

IF (POSITIVE) A>B>C>D THEN THE IF NOT (NEGATIVE) WILL BE LIKE MULTIPLYING BY -(1) WHICH REVERSES THE INEQUALITY TO IF NOT D>NOT C> NOT B> NOT A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
dimri10 wrote:
viks4gmat wrote:

well i love the Qyant approach: did you mean to say something like:

IF (POSITIVE) A>B>C>D THEN THE IF NOT (NEGATIVE) WILL BE LIKE MULTIPLYING BY -(1) WHICH REVERSES THE INEQUALITY TO IF NOT D>NOT C> NOT B> NOT A

yup thats pretty much what i intend to say !!!

if A> B> C > D then negating/ NOT-ing the components simply changes the direction of the sign
-A < -B < -C < -D (or -D> -C > -B > -A whichever way you are comfortable reading the equation from )
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
good question. i have an even better trick for such questions. i solved the question in 1:17; i could've done that even earlier. here's the trick.

a->b

to find what else can be true, reverse the order of a,b and make them logical negations of themselves.

a->b= b'->a'
"if A, then B" = "if not B, then not A"

e.g. if it is cloudy, it will rain.
if it is not cloudy, then it will not rain (incorrect. we're not sure)
if it is raining, then it is cloudy (incorrect. again may be it also rains when there are no clouds. we don't know)

if it is not raining, then it is not cloudy (bingo! correct ans)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
The chain of logical statements can be represented as follows:
A → B → C → D
We can use the transitive property of implication to combine the statements into a single implication:
A → D
Therefore, if A is true, then D must also be true.

(A) If D, then A.
This statement cannot be concluded from the given information. We know that A implies D, but we cannot infer that D implies A.

This statement is true by contrapositive. If C is true, then B must be true, and if B is not true, then C cannot be true.

This statement is false. The contrapositive of A → D is ¬D → ¬A. Therefore, if D is not true, we cannot conclude anything about whether A is true or not.

(D) If D, then E.
This statement cannot be concluded from the given information. There is no logical connection between D and E in the statements given.

This statement is false. The contrapositive of A → D is ¬D → ¬A. Therefore, if A is not true, we cannot conclude anything about whether D is true or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the statements abo [#permalink]
Quote:
Ok, consider a simple example:

If I eat dinner now, I will eat dessert later. (A -> B)

You're told this is a TRUE statement - in other words, eating dinner absolutely, positively, no question about it, 100% results in eating dessert after. There's no possible situation that can exist where I will eat dinner now and then NOT eat dessert later.

Now consider the below statements:

If don't eat dessert later, I didn't eat dinner now. (contrapositive: ~B -> ~A)

Since we KNOW FOR A FACT that eating dinner now results in eating dessert later, we can conclude without a doubt that if I don't eat dessert, I most definitely did not eat dinner (because if I had eaten dinner, I would have eaten dessert). This is called the contrapositive and is logically equivalent to the original statement. (This is answer C)

If I don't eat dinner now, I won't eat dessert later. (inverse: ~A -> ~B)

We know for a fact that eating dinner will lead to eating dessert. However, we know absolutely nothing about the result of NOT eating dinner. I didn't say to you that I would ONLY eat dessert if I eat dinner first - only that I would definitely eat it after eating dinner. This statement is not logically equivalent to the original. This is called the inverse, and is answer B.

Does this help?
'

In case of answer choice C, Would it be correct to say " event C has occurred, which doesn't necessarily mean event B has also occurred". As event B is leading to event C but not vice-versa?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
In simple words it is the application of law of contra-positive.Consider an example: If it is raining then there is cloud and its contra-positive is If there is no cloud then there is no raining. Same logic gives you C. If no D then no A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q85 V81 DI82 (Online)
GPA: 9.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
TehJay wrote:
utin wrote:
kimakim wrote:
If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If D, then A.
(D) If D, then E.

Why is the official answer C ?

For example, choice B could be correct too. If not B then not C.

CAN'T UNDERSTAND STILL!!! :(

Ok, consider a simple example:

If I eat dinner now, I will eat dessert later. (A -> B)

You're told this is a TRUE statement - in other words, eating dinner absolutely, positively, no question about it, 100% results in eating dessert after. There's no possible situation that can exist where I will eat dinner now and then NOT eat dessert later.

Now consider the below statements:

If don't eat dessert later, I didn't eat dinner now. (contrapositive: ~B -> ~A)

Since we KNOW FOR A FACT that eating dinner now results in eating dessert later, we can conclude without a doubt that if I don't eat dessert, I most definitely did not eat dinner (because if I had eaten dinner, I would have eaten dessert). This is called the contrapositive and is logically equivalent to the original statement. (This is answer C)

If I don't eat dinner now, I won't eat dessert later. (inverse: ~A -> ~B)

We know for a fact that eating dinner will lead to eating dessert. However, we know absolutely nothing about the result of NOT eating dinner. I didn't say to you that I would ONLY eat dessert if I eat dinner first - only that I would definitely eat it after eating dinner. This statement is not logically equivalent to the original. This is called the inverse, and is answer B.

Does this help?

Still confused!

With the very same logic, option B and E also seem to be correct! Why only C?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 1163
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Tech)
Send PM
If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the statements abo [#permalink]
Kudos
Gprabhumir wrote:
Still confused!

With the very same logic, option B and E also seem to be correct! Why only C?

While figuring out the answer, I had four things before me- a cup, a spoon, a plate, and a bottle of water. I assumed the cup is A, spoon is B, plate is C and bottle is D. As per the conditions, these are what I concluded.
1. If you want the cup, you must have the spoon. If you want spoon, you must have the plate. If you need plate, you must have bottle. Therefore, someone who just wants the cup will have spoon, plate and bottle.
2. Now, ignore the cup. Say, you need the spoon. So you must have the plate, and to have the plate, you must own the bottle. So a spoon owner will have plate and bottle too.
3. Same logic when applied if I need the plate only, I must own the bottle too.
4. Now, what if I need the bottle alone? In this case, there is no prerequisite.
As per (B), if you don't have spoon, you won't have plate. I can have the plate and bottle just, why does spoon become important here? (conclusion 3)
In (E), if not cup, then not bottle. Why not? I want the bottle alone and as discussed previously, I can own bottle without prerequisites. (conclusion 4)
But in (C), if not bottle, then no cup. Yes. To own a cup, you must have not just the bottle, but every other stuffs too. Therefore, (C) is right. (conclusion 1)

I hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts