Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 14:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (01:06) correct 60% (01:00) wrong based on 24 sessions
1) If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same quadrant of the xy-plane, is point (-x,y) in the same quadrant?

(1) xy > 0
(2) ax > 0

2) In the xy-plane, the line k passes through the origin and through the point (a,b), where ab <> 0. Is b positive?

(1) The slope of line k is negative.
(2) a < b
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [2] , given: 1

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
ahirjoy wrote:
1) If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same quadrant of the xy-plane, is point (-x,y) in the same quadrant?

(1) xy > 0
(2) ax > 0

given a!=0 and b!=0 ... a could be positive or negative and b could be positive or negative
so 4 cases and the respective points mentioned ...
a>0, b>0 ... points would be (-a,b) and (-b,a) and these both lie in quadrant II. GOOD
a>0, b<0 ... points would be (-a,-b) and (b,a) and these both lie in different quadrants. NOT GOOD
a<0, b>0 ... points would be (a,b) and (-b,-a) and these both lie in different quadrants. NOT GOOD
a<0, b<0 ... points would be (a,-b) and (b,-a) and these both lie in quadrant IV. GOOD
so if a>0, b>0 then the given points lie in Q II
so if a<0, b<0 then the given points lie in Q IV

st 1) xy>0
both x,y > 0 .. point (x,y) is in Q I
both x,y < 0 .. point (x,y) is in Q IV
not sufficient
st 2) ax > 0
both x,a > 0 .. point (x,y) could be in Q I or QIV
both x,a < 0 .. point (x,y) could be in Q II or QIII
not sufficient

combining

a,x,y > 0 ... points would be (-a,b) and (-b,a) and these both lie in quadrant II. and point (x,y) would be in Q I
a,x,y < 0 ... points would be (-a,b) and (-b,a) and these both lie in quadrant IV. and point (x,y) would be in Q III

in either case, we can say (x,y) is not in the same quadrant

C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 1

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
ahirjoy wrote:
2) In the xy-plane, the line k passes through the origin and through the point (a,b), where ab <> 0. Is b positive?

(1) The slope of line k is negative.
(2) a < b

a!=0 and b!=0 .. is b>0
st 1) slope is negative .. line will be in Quadrant II(b is positive) and Quadrant IV(b is negative)
not sufficient
st 2) a<b
this could happen in Q I, QII, Q III
not sufficient

combining
in Q IV. a is positive and b is negative, so a is always > b ..
so the point (a,b) can only be in Q II .. and b is positive

C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 11:56
st 2) a<b
not sufficient

Why not a<b in Q IV? For example, a=-3 and b=-2 a< b and in Q IV...did I miss any thing? Thought answer is E
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3726

Kudos [?]: 31044 [1] , given: 3268

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tochiru wrote:
st 2) a<b
not sufficient

Why not a<b in Q IV? For example, a=-3 and b=-2 a< b and in Q IV...did I miss any thing? Thought answer is E

You are right: if a<b, point (a, b) can be in any quadrant. But the answer to this question is still C.

In the xy-plane, the line k passes through the origin and through the point (a,b), where ab does not equal zero. Is b positive?

(1) If slope is negative and the line passes through the origin, point (a,b) can be either in the II quadrant or in the IV (a and b have opposite signs). So, b can be positive or negative. Not sufficient.

(2) a<b, not sufficient by itself.

(1)+(2) a<b and they have opposite signs, means b is positive (point lies in the second quadrant). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 19:08
Sorry..still didnt get.

How can we conclude that a and b have opp signs and hence in Q 4?

St1 tells whether q1 or Q4, but st2 dont tell anything about quadrants..no?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 03:18
Bunuel, thanks for the explanation.
Intern
Intern

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 20:07
Please answer..

How can we conclude that a and b have opp signs (based on a<b )and hence in Q 4?

Q1 case-- (a,b) = 1,2
Q4 case-- (a,b) = -3,-2

both are valid and st2 dont tell anything about quadrants

St1 tells whether point is in q1 or Q4

I am not what i am missing here..
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31044 [0], given: 3268

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 04:39
Expert's post
tochiru wrote:
Please answer..

How can we conclude that a and b have opp signs (based on a<b )and hence in Q 4?

Q1 case-- (a,b) = 1,2
Q4 case-- (a,b) = -3,-2

both are valid and st2 dont tell anything about quadrants

St1 tells whether point is in q1 or Q4

I am not what i am missing here..

(1) If slope is negative and the line passes through the origin, point (a,b) can be either in the II quadrant or in the IV (a and b have opposite signs).

In II quadrant x-s are negative and y-s are positive, hence if point (a,b) is in this quadrant, b (y coordinate of the point) is positive;
In IV quadrant x-s are positive and y-s are negative, hence if point (a,b) is in this quadrant, b (y coordinate of the point) is negative;

The above means that x and y coordinates of the point (a,b) have opposite sign (if a positive then b negative and vise-versa).

So, b can be positive or negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) a<b --> a is less than b, as they have opposite signs, then a must be negative and b positive (point lies in the second quadrant). Sufficient.

The examples you provide are not valid:

Q1 case-- (a,b) = 1,2 - point (a,b) is in II quadrant not in I.
Q4 case-- (a,b) = -3,-2 - point (-3, -2) is in III quadrant not in IV.

Proper examples would b:

II quadrant: point (-3, 2);
IV quadrant: point (3, -2).

For more on this issue please check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book (link in my signature).

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 12:55
Bunuel wrote:
You are right: if a<b, point (a, b) can be in any quadrant. But the answer to this question is still C.

In the xy-plane, the line k passes through the origin and through the point (a,b), where ab does not equal zero. Is b positive?

(1) If slope is negative and the line passes through the origin, point (a,b) can be either in the II quadrant or in the IV (a and b have opposite signs). So, b can be positive or negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) a<b and they have opposite signs, means b is positive (point lies in the second quadrant). Sufficient.

i have a question: if ab is not equal to 0, then it means that a & b are either both +ve or both -ve [quadrant I or III], and that b/a=m can't be equal to 0 either. with this info, how can (a,b) be in any quadrant and not just I or III?

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31044 [0], given: 3268

Re: Coordinate Geometry Data Sufficiency Questions [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 13:00
Expert's post
MBAhereIcome wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

i have a question: if ab is not equal to 0, then it means that a & b are either both +ve or both -ve [quadrant I or III], and that b/a=m can't be equal to 0 either. with this info, how can (a,b) be in any quadrant and not just I or III?

ab\neq{0} just means that neither a nor b equal zero, but we cannot say anything about their sings.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 04-28-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 18:10
... hmmm why do we need to consider line and all.. my approach:

as (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in same quad that mean -a and -b are same sigh similarly b and a are same sign. Thus a and b are either both +ve or both -ve.

from stat1 - we just know about x and y that these are either both +ve and both -ve and based on that we cant say they are in same quad as a,b

stat 2 - a and x are both +ve or both -ve but we donno about x and y relation...

combining stat 1 and stat2
x,y,a,b are all +ve or x,y,a,b are all -ve thus (x,y) and (a,b) in same quad.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 18:57
Thanks khushboochhabra, that is definitely an easier way to look at the problem... For those still in doubt, drawing a quick table with possible +/- combinations will help confirm that a & b need to be the same sign.
Re: If ab <> 0 and points (-a,b) and (-b,a) are in the same   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2012, 18:57