Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [164]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618873 [88]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [11]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: If ab ≠ 0, is ab > a/b ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
If ab ≠ 0, is ab > a/b ?

Is \(ab > \frac{a}{b}\)? --> is \(ab - \frac{a}{b}>0\)? --> \(\frac{a(b^2-1)}{b}>0\)? --> \(\frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0\)?

(1) |b| > 1 --> both sides are non-negative, thus we can square: \(b^2>1\) --> \(b^2-1>0\). We need to know the sign of a/b. Not sufficient.

(2) ab + a/b > 0. Notice that ab and a/b have the same sign. Both of them cannot be negative, because in this case their sum would also be negative, therefore both are positive: a/b > 0. We need to know the sign of b^2-1. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(b^2-1>0\) and \(\frac{a}{b} > 0\), thus their product \(\frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunell,

Can you please explain this question through plugging in. For (2) , ab>-(a/b) .. So for what values this will give yes and no and for which values after combining 1 and 2 we will get the req answer

Also wanted to add. From (2) a/b and ab has to be of the same signs . i tried plugging in values in 2. a=8,b=4 so ab=32 and a/b=2 . Similarly a=-4,b=-2 , ab=8, a/b=2 and also with a=1/8,b=8 so ab=1, a/b=1/72. So for all values ab>a/b.

Please let me knw what i am doin wrong
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618873 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Manik12345 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If ab ≠ 0, is ab > a/b ?

Is \(ab > \frac{a}{b}\)? --> is \(ab - \frac{a}{b}>0\)? --> \(\frac{a(b^2-1)}{b}>0\)? --> \(\frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0\)?

(1) |b| > 1 --> both sides are non-negative, thus we can square: \(b^2>1\) --> \(b^2-1>0\). We need to know the sign of a/b. Not sufficient.

(2) ab + a/b > 0. Notice that ab and a/b have the same sign. Both of them cannot be negative, because in this case their sum would also be negative, therefore both are positive: a/b > 0. We need to know the sign of b^2-1. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(b^2-1>0\) and \(\frac{a}{b} > 0\), thus their product \(\frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunell,

Can you please explain this question through plugging in. For (2) , ab>-(a/b) .. So for what values this will give yes and no and for which values after combining 1 and 2 we will get the req answer

Also wanted to add. From (2) a/b and ab has to be of the same signs . i tried plugging in values in 2. a=8,b=4 so ab=32 and a/b=2 . Similarly a=-4,b=-2 , ab=8, a/b=2 and also with a=1/8,b=8 so ab=1, a/b=1/72. So for all values ab>a/b.

Please let me knw what i am doin wrong

For (2):

If a=b=1 (ab + a/b > 0), then ab = a/b. Hence in this case the answer to the question whether ab > a/b is NO.

If a=b=2 (ab + a/b > 0), then ab > a/b. Hence in this case the answer to the question whether ab > a/b is YES.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Wow! Great approach Buneul. It never occurred to me to simplify the equation in the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
If ab ≠ 0, is ab > a/b ?

Is ab > \frac{a}{b}? --> is ab - \frac{a}{b}>0? --> \frac{a(b^2-1)}{b}>0? --> \frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0?

(1) |b| > 1 --> both sides are non-negative, thus we can square: b^2>1 --> b^2-1>0. We need to know the sign of a/b. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) b^2-1>0 and \frac{a}{b} > 0, thus their product \frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0. Sufficient.

Hi bunuel,

I did not get the highlighted part of the solution.
Can you please explain why both a and b cannot be negative. I think if we consider values of a and b = -2 and -3 respectively. ab + a/b will remain positive overall.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618873 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
If ab ≠ 0, is ab > a/b ?

Is ab > \frac{a}{b}? --> is ab - \frac{a}{b}>0? --> \frac{a(b^2-1)}{b}>0? --> \frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0?

(1) |b| > 1 --> both sides are non-negative, thus we can square: b^2>1 --> b^2-1>0. We need to know the sign of a/b. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) b^2-1>0 and \frac{a}{b} > 0, thus their product \frac{a}{b}*(b^2-1)>0. Sufficient.

Hi bunuel,

I did not get the highlighted part of the solution.
Can you please explain why both a and b cannot be negative. I think if we consider values of a and b = -2 and -3 respectively. ab + a/b will remain positive overall.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Both ab and a/b cannot be negative, not a and b.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Why cant I solve the equation as ab2 > a hence b2>1 hence (a) the ans ???
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618873 [9]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ashutoshbarawkar wrote:

Never multiply (or reduce) an inequality by a variable (or the expression with a variable) if you don't know its sign.

So, we can neither cross-multiply ab > a/b by b nor reduce it by a.

If b is positive, then yes we'll get ab^2 > a but if b is negative, then when multiplying by negative value we should flip the sign of the inequality and in this case we would get ab^2 < a.

The same way if a is positive, then b > 1/b but if it's negative, then b < 1/b.

Theory on Inequalities:
Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach: solving-quadratic-inequalities-graphic-approach-170528.html

inequalities-trick-91482.html
data-suff-inequalities-109078.html
range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html
graphic-approach-to-problems-with-inequalities-68037.html

Tips on inequalities: inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html

All DS Inequalities Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184
All PS Inequalities Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=189

700+ Inequalities problems: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ashutoshbarawkar wrote:

Never multiply (or reduce) an inequality by a variable (or the expression with a variable) if you don't know its sign.

If b is positive, then yes we'll get ab^2 > a but if b is negative, then when multiplying by negative value we should flip the sign of the inequality and in this case we would get ab^2 < a.

Hi Bunnel, Considering the above quote, is the below approach correct?

Given that ab>a/b

Case 1: if a > 0 then b > 1/b ; true if b>1
Case 2: if a < 0 then b< 1/b ; true is b <1

State 1 says lbl >1 cant conclude anything from this

State 2 says ab + a/b > 0 so from this we know ab & a/b are both positive which means ab is positive, meaning a & b have same sign.
Cant conclude anything further

From State 1 & 2;
lbl > 1 and ab have same sign so only case 1 valid.

Thanks in advance,
Aj
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AjChakravarthy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ashutoshbarawkar wrote:

Hi Bunnel, Considering the above quote, is the below approach correct?

Given that ab>a/b

Case 1: if a > 0 then b > 1/b ; true if b>1
Case 2: if a < 0 then b< 1/b ; true is b <1

State 1 says lbl >1 cant conclude anything from this

State 2 says ab + a/b > 0 so from this we know ab & a/b are both positive which means ab is positive, meaning a & b have same sign.
Cant conclude anything further

From State 1 & 2;
lbl > 1 and ab have same sign so only case 1 valid.

Thanks in advance,
Aj

Hi AjChakravarthy,

Few suggestions on your analysis:

Case 1: if a > 0 then b > 1/b ; true if b>1--> b > 1/b is also true when -1 < b < 0. Consider b = -0.5, in this case -0.5 > -2. Hence we can't say that b > 1/b is true for only b > 1.

Case 2: if a < 0 then b< 1/b ; true is b <1 --> b < 1/b is not true for cases when -1 < b < 0. Hence we can't say b < 1/b is true for all values of b < 1.

From State 1 & 2;
lbl > 1 and ab have same sign so only case 1 valid
-- > |b| > 1 can be written as b > 1 if b is +ve or -b > 1 if b is -ve. This can be simplified to b > 1 or b < -1. Hence |b| > 1 can't be inferred as b being always positive.

Hope its clear!

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Despite reading the question and explanation again and again I still can't understand " ab + a/b > 0. Notice that ab and a/b have the same sign. Both of them cannot be negative, because in this case their sum would also be negative, therefore both are positive: a/b > 0."

Bunuel could you please help? :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos