Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Send PM
Re: If an act of civil disobedience—willfully breaking a specific law in [#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
buckkitty wrote:
Please provide explanations behind your answers.

If an act of civil disobedience—willfully breaking a specific law in order to bring about legal reform—is done out of self-interest alone and not out of a concern for others, it cannot be justified. But one is justified in performing an act of civil disobedience if one’s conscience requires one to do so.

Which one of the following judgments most closely conforms to the principles stated above?
(A) Keisha’s protest against what she perceived to be a brutal and repressive dictatorship in another country was an act of justified civil disobedience, because in organizing an illegal but peaceful demonstration calling for a return to democratic leadership in that country, she acted purely out of concern for the people of that country.

(B) Janice’s protest against a law that forbade labor strikes was motivated solely by a desire to help local mine workers obtain fair wages. But her conscience did not require her to protest this law, so Janice didn’t perform an act of justified civil disobedience.

(C) In organizing an illegal protest against the practice in her country of having prison inmates work eighteen hours per day, Georgette performed an act of justified civil disobedience: though she acted out of concern for her fellow inmates rather than out of concern for herself.

(D) Maria’s deliberate violation of a law requiring prepublication government approval of all printed materials was an act of justified civil disobedience: though her interest as an owner of a publishing company would be served by repeal of the law, she violated the law because her conscience required doing so on behalf of all publishers.

(E) In organizing a parade of motorcyclists riding without helmets through the capital city, Louise’s act was not one of justified civil disobedience: she was willfully challenging a specific law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets, but her conscience did not require her to organize the parade.

Good CR!

To conform to the argument, the anwer must establish that

1. A specific law was broken.
2. It was broken to bring about legal reform
3. Done not solely based on self-interest.
4. Required by one's conscience to do so.

The key to cracking this CR is to understand the following portion of the argument.

willfully breaking a specific law in order to bring about legal reform

IMHO, this indicates that a specific law must be broken to bring about legal reform of the law that is broken(in order to most closely conform to the argument).

Only D and E meet this criterion. E does not meet criterion no.4. So, I will stick my neck out and say D.

are you refuting B solely because it does not conform to:

??

I saw the key to the question being the If x then y logic.

From the stem we only know:
If acting in self interest and not out of concern for others, then not justified
But,
If conscience requires it, then justified.

So, for instance we cannot deduce that:
If conscience does NOT require it, then NOT justified

And so on…
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: If an act of civil disobedience—willfully breaking a specific law in [#permalink]
Kudos
buckkitty wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
buckkitty wrote:
Please provide explanations behind your answers.

If an act of civil disobedience—willfully breaking a specific law in order to bring about legal reform—is done out of self-interest alone and not out of a concern for others, it cannot be justified. But one is justified in performing an act of civil disobedience if one’s conscience requires one to do so.

Which one of the following judgments most closely conforms to the principles stated above?
(A) Keisha’s protest against what she perceived to be a brutal and repressive dictatorship in another country was an act of justified civil disobedience, because in organizing an illegal but peaceful demonstration calling for a return to democratic leadership in that country, she acted purely out of concern for the people of that country.

(B) Janice’s protest against a law that forbade labor strikes was motivated solely by a desire to help local mine workers obtain fair wages. But her conscience did not require her to protest this law, so Janice didn’t perform an act of justified civil disobedience.

(C) In organizing an illegal protest against the practice in her country of having prison inmates work eighteen hours per day, Georgette performed an act of justified civil disobedience: though she acted out of concern for her fellow inmates rather than out of concern for herself.

(D) Maria’s deliberate violation of a law requiring prepublication government approval of all printed materials was an act of justified civil disobedience: though her interest as an owner of a publishing company would be served by repeal of the law, she violated the law because her conscience required doing so on behalf of all publishers.

(E) In organizing a parade of motorcyclists riding without helmets through the capital city, Louise’s act was not one of justified civil disobedience: she was willfully challenging a specific law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets, but her conscience did not require her to organize the parade.

Good CR!

To conform to the argument, the anwer must establish that

1. A specific law was broken.
2. It was broken to bring about legal reform
3. Done not solely based on self-interest.
4. Required by one's conscience to do so.

The key to cracking this CR is to understand the following portion of the argument.

IMHO, this indicates that a specific law must be broken to bring about legal reform of the law that is broken(in order to most closely conform to the argument).

Only D and E meet this criterion. E does not meet criterion no.4. So, I will stick my neck out and say D.

are you refuting B solely because it does not conform to:

??

I saw the key to the question being the If x then y logic.

From the stem we only know:
If acting in self interest and not out of concern for others, then not justified
But,
If conscience requires it, then justified.

So, for instance we cannot deduce that:
If conscience does NOT require it, then NOT justified

And so on…

I ruled out B primarily because, I dont think Janice's act can be classified as civil disobedience. B only says that Janice protested. We cannot be sure that she broke any laws.

I understand that the statement made in B is true. But the domain of the argument is restricted to civil disobedience.

For example, lets say 'If you write the GMAT, to get a score of 800, you need to get a raw score of 51 in Q and 51 in V'.

Lets examine another statement that says X did not write the GMAT. Does this mean he didn't get an 800. Of course, yes. But does this conform to the previous statement. No.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
I choose D.

(A) Because Keisha acted purely out of concern for the people of other country, this sentence contradicts the definition of civil disobedience.
(B) Desire to help local mine workers obtain fair wages contradicts the definition of civil disobedience
(C) Georgette acted out of concern for her fellow inmates rather than out of concern for herself - same ias A and B
(D) An example of civil disobedience
(E) Louise’s act was not one of justified civil disobedience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
i see another explanation on LSAT forum by a LSAT geek hope it helps:
if done out of self-interest alone ---> not justified
if required by one's conscience ---> justified
We're looking for an example that conforms to one or both of these statements, and we can expect the wrong answers to try to tempt us with negated or reversed logic (as opposed to reversed and negated logic, a.k.a., the contrapositive, which would be valid).
(D) is correct. Maria's conscience required her to violate the law, therefore her civil disobedience was justified. This directly conforms to the second statement. Further, although her own interest would be served by a repeal of the law in question, we're also told that she was acting "on behalf of all publishers," so we know that she wasn't acting out of self-interest alone.
(A) is negated logic. We know that pure self-interest means civil disobedience is unjustified, but that doesn't mean that acting purely out of concern for others makes it justified.
(B) is negated logic. We know that if one's conscience requires it, civil disobedience is justified, but we cannot infer that if one's conscience doesn't require it, the act is unjustified.
(C) is negated in exactly the same way as (A).
(E) is negated in exactly the same way as (B).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Wholly molly is understanding the passage to the last word and pointing out whether all of these are satified or not it was war between B and D for me i eliminated B because it sisn't commit anything , however was acted by the conciosness by the for the people hence IMO D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: If an act of civil disobediencewillfully breaking a specific law in [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If an act of civil disobediencewillfully breaking a specific law in [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts