Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Location: MS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 20:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated, or even suspected, the impending sale of the Koniko kelp processing plant, they would have advised owners of Koniko stock to unload all shares immediately.

A. If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

B. Had anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

C. If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

D. If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers had anticipated

E. If anybody at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

Pls explian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Posts: 408
Location: Las Vegas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 21:52
GMATT73 wrote:
This one was discussed recently. (D)


Why would you choose D? Please explain. Since C uses "would have", which is the same verbs used toward the end of the sentence.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1062
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-InterCom Financial Advisers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 21:56
cool_jonny009 wrote:
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated, or even suspected, the impending sale of the Koniko kelp processing plant, they would have advised owners of Koniko stock to unload all shares immediately.

A. If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

B. Had anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

C. If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

D. If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers had anticipated

E. If anybody at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

Pls explian


"they would have advised" should modify a plural pronoun...so A, B, E are out.

D uses the correct tense of past participle to indicate the subjunctive mood of the sentence.
_________________

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-InterCom Financial Advisers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 22:01
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-InterCom Financial Advisers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:04
TeHCM wrote:
cool_jonny009 wrote:
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated, or even suspected, the impending sale of the Koniko kelp processing plant, they would have advised owners of Koniko stock to unload all shares immediately.

A. If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

B. Had anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

C. If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

D. If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers had anticipated

E. If anybody at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

Pls explian


"they would have advised" should modify a plural pronoun...so A, B, E are out.

D uses the correct tense of past participle to indicate the subjunctive mood of the sentence.


Why is this statement in the subjunctive mood?
Is it because :
1 - of the presence of the word "suspected"
2 - of the presence of the word "advised"
3- something else in the non -underline part of the statement. If so, what is it?

Thanks.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1062
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-InterCom Financial Advisers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:28
5elements,

It was the sentence that wasn't underlined that stood out as a subjunctive mood

"the impending sale of the Koniko kelp processing plant, they would have advised owners of Koniko stock to unload all shares immediately."
_________________

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Location: MS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2006, 00:16
Why C is wrong even though it uses the parallel tense?
How the use of "had" justified in D .

OA is D
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2923
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2006, 00:21
cool_jonny009 wrote:
Why C is wrong even though it uses the parallel tense?
How the use of "had" justified in D .

OA is D


I think in C "anticipated" and "would have" are conveying the same meaning, so there is no point in using both of them together.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2006, 20:44
No doubt, 'D' is the best!

'they' needs people & use of 'had' correctly conveys the sequence.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 92
Location: Minneapolis
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 00:31
'If' and 'would' can not be in the same line, so A and C are out.
Anybody/Anyone is a SANAM pronoun and its agreement is decided by the prepositional phrase.
'at InterCom Financial Advisers' is plural so Anybody/Anyone should be plural.

D is awkward with the use of 'any people'
Between B and E, I will choose B because it is more concise.

Comments appreciated?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 04:05
^ D ^

1) If clause type 3

2) we need a plural noun like "people" in D
  [#permalink] 19 Mar 2006, 04:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have gmacvik 3 14 Jan 2006, 19:40
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have rahulraao 13 04 Oct 2005, 17:16
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have WinWinMBA 4 15 Jun 2005, 14:53
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have Fuqua 6 12 Jun 2005, 08:14
If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have nocilis 6 27 Jan 2005, 18:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.