Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If as a modifier? I am looking for some clarification on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

If as a modifier? I am looking for some clarification on [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 11:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If as a modifier?

I am looking for some clarification on when "if" acts as a modifier? Does anyone have any material on this.

I believe it is correct to say that "if" does not act as a modifier in "if-then" constructions. I also know that subordinators modifiy verbs and that "if" may be a subordinator.

The following sentence caught me off guard. The OG -VR2 indicates that "if" incorrectly modifies "one reason" in the following text:

If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason that certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2279

Kudos [?]: 8819 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If as a modifier? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 13:19
Expert's post
izaidi wrote:
If as a modifier?

I am looking for some clarification on when "if" acts as a modifier? Does anyone have any material on this.

I believe it is correct to say that "if" does not act as a modifier in "if-then" constructions. I also know that subordinators modifiy verbs and that "if" may be a subordinator.

The following sentence caught me off guard. The OG -VR2 indicates that "if" incorrectly modifies "one reason" in the following text:

If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason that certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

This a typical trap with an intro/modifier phrase. I think OG was referring to the entire phrase. As you probably know the structure is:

Modifier phrase + [,] + [Subject] + [Verb]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: If as a modifier? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 15:52
Thanks for your reply bb--I am aware of the trap. However I was not aware that "If" can act as a noun modifier (OG explicitly says that "if" is modifying "one reason").
Manager
Manager

Re: If as a modifier? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 21:05
I got a good answer for MGMAT Forum ... maybe it will help someone ...

A sentence with this structure,
"IF adjective1, (THEN) subject linking verb adjective2."
can be glossed as,
"IF subject linking verb adjective1, (THEN) subject linking verb adjective2."
The subject and linking verb in the IF part are understood to be the very same as the subject and linking verb in the THEN part.

For instance the sentence,
"If unearned, rewards can undermine a child's respect for effort." can be glossed as,
"If (rewards are) unearned, rewards can undermine a child's respect for effort."

And the sentence,
"If used repeatedly..., one reason ... is suggested by ...."
can be glossed as,
"If one reason is used repeatedly...,one reason ... is suggested by ...."

But that's gibberish. You need to make "pesticides" the subject, since it is they which are used repeatedly.

Notice, by the way, that I simplified things a bit here by calling all noun modifiers adjectives. Of course "used repeatedly..." is a participial phrase.
Re: If as a modifier?   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2010, 21:05