Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Distance/Rate Problemsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [87]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [39]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [13]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [1]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Re: If Car X followed Car Y across a certain bridge that is 1/2 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel

Can this not be vvorked out just vvith A

--> since distances are equal
then equate

SX. Tx = Sy. Ty

Is this not possible

then in that case statement 1 becomes sufficient please explain

Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If Car X followed Car Y across a certain bridge that is 1/2 mile long, how many seconds did it take Car X to travel across the bridge?

Let the time needed for car X to travel across the bridge be \(t_x\) seconds and the time needed for car Y be \(t_y\) seconds.

(1) Car X drove onto the bridge exactly 3 seconds after car Y drove onto the bridge and drove off the bridge exactly 2 seconds after car Y drove off the bridge --> car X needs 1 second less to travel across the bridge than car Y --> \(t_y=t_x+1\). Not sufficient to calculate \(t_x\).

(2) Car Y traveled across the bridge at a constant speed of 30 miles per hour. 30 miles per hour is \(\frac{30}{3600}=\frac{1}{120}\) miles per second --> car Y needs \(t_y=\frac{(\frac{1}{2})}{(\frac{1}{120})}=60\) seconds to travel across the bridge. Not sufficient to calculate \(t_x\).

(1)+(2) \(t_y=t_x+1\) and \(t_y=60\) --> \(t_x=60-1=59\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [4]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The question asks the time taken by X to cross the bridge.

How come? Statement 1 helps us to get the relationship between X and Y wrt time. It does not tell us the time taken by Y to cross

Statement 2 gives us the time taken by Y to cross the bridge.

Both the statements together are sufficient.

Hope this helps!
:-D

Question level - 600
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Banuel,

I'm not seeing it, is there a way you can list the three or four item being tested? and what makes the answer sufficient?

Time?
Rate of Speed?
Distance?
Any other?

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
laythesmack23 wrote:
Banuel,

I'm not seeing it, is there a way you can list the three or four item being tested? and what makes the answer sufficient?

Time?
Rate of Speed?
Distance?
Any other?

Thanks.

Not sure I understand what you mean...

Anyway, we need to get \(t_x\).

From (1) we have that \(t_y=t_x+1\) and from (2) we have that \(t_y=60\), thus \(t_x=60-1=59\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
In such questions, i look at the short concise option 1st. I look at B and it doesn't talk about one of the two cars. Eliminate answer choice B and D. Now look at A, it gives a relation between time.
We can form two eqn for two cars using speed distance formulae. For 1st car assume all capital letters for its calculations.
S= D/T
For 2nd car , assume small letters:
s=D/t

Now we know that t=T-1 since it took one sec less to travel the bridge.
We also know the length of the bridge. However we don't know the speeds of time in absolute numbers to determine the answer. So we can't get anywhere with the 2Eqns.

Now add info from B and we can compute our answer. hence C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
laythesmack23 wrote:
Banuel,

Time?
Rate of Speed?
Distance?
Any other?

Thanks.

From (1) we have that \(t_y=t_x+1\) and from (2) we have that \(t_y=60\), thus \(t_x=60-1=59\).

The concept being tested here is RTD right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Schools: Duke '16
Send PM
I dont know if i am wrong but all i did was use the formula speed = distance x time and they have given us both speed ie the rate traveled and the time so am i wrong?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
madzstar wrote:
I dont know if i am wrong but all i did was use the formula speed = distance x time and they have given us both speed ie the rate traveled and the time so am i wrong?

The formula is (speed)*(time)=(distance).
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
laythesmack23 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
laythesmack23 wrote:
Banuel,

Time?
Rate of Speed?
Distance?
Any other?

Thanks.

The concept being tested here is RTD right?

Yes, that's correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [5]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
If Car X followed Car Y across a certain bridge that is 1/2 mile long, how many seconds did it take Car X to travel across the bridge?

(1) Car X drove onto the bridge exactly 3 seconds after Car Y drove onto the bridge and drove off the bridge exactly 2 seconds after Car Y drove off the bridge.
We don't know how long Car Y was on the bridge for. Therefore, we don't know how long Car X was on the bridge for.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) Car Y traveled across the bridge at a constant speed of 30 miles per hour.
This tells us nothing about Car X.
INSUFFICIENT

1+2)
If the bridge is 1/2 mile long and Car Y crossed it at 30MPH it would have taken exactly one minute to cross the bridge. If Car X followed behind Car Y by 3 seconds and left the bridge just two seconds after Y it gained one second on Y. Therefore, Car X crossed the bridge in 29 seconds.
SUFFICIENT

(C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
WholeLottaLove wrote:

(1) Car X drove onto the bridge exactly 3 seconds after Car Y drove onto the bridge and drove off the bridge exactly 2 seconds after Car Y drove off the bridge.
We don't know how long Car Y was on the bridge for. Therefore, we don't know how long Car X was on the bridge for.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) Car Y traveled across the bridge at a constant speed of 30 miles per hour.
This tells us nothing about Car X.
INSUFFICIENT

1+2)
If the bridge is 1/2 mile long and Car Y crossed it at 30MPH it would have taken exactly one minute to cross the bridge. If Car X followed behind Car Y by 3 seconds and left the bridge just two seconds after Y it gained one second on Y. Therefore, Car X crossed the bridge in 29 seconds.
SUFFICIENT

(C)

I think you mean 59 seconds. If it took one minute for Car Y to cross and Car X gained on Car Y by one second then the time it took would be 59 seconds.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6270 [9]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos