Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If CD is the diameter of the circle, does x equal 30?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 217

If CD is the diameter of the circle, does x equal 30? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 16:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:38) correct 29% (00:41) wrong based on 106 sessions
Attachment:
Triangle.jpg
Triangle.jpg [ 13.63 KiB | Viewed 3071 times ]

(1) The length of CD is twice the length of BD.
(2) y = 60

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This is how I am trying to solve this, but there is bit of a guess work. So can someone please help?

Considering the figure CD is the diameter of the circle and its the hypotenuse of the triangle too i.e. Angle CBD= 90 degrees. --------------------------------------(1). This is where I am guessing.

If that's the case then considering statement 1

Knowing that the side ratios of the 30:60:90 degree triangle are 1:\sqrt{3}:2 the know that the x = 30 and y = 60 as the x is the angle opposite to the shortest leg. Therefore, sufficient.

Statement 2

x + y + B = 180
x+60+90 = 180
x = 30. Sufficient.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3602

Kudos [?]: 28657 [0], given: 2808

Re: Is angle x = 30 degrees? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:01
Expert's post
Attachment:
Triangle.jpg
Triangle.jpg [ 13.63 KiB | Viewed 3055 times ]

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

So, angle CBD is a right angle.

(1) The length of CD is twice the length of BD --> ratio of a hypotenuse to a side is 2:1 --> we have 30°, 60°, and 90° right triangle, where the sides are always in the ratio 1:\sqrt{3}:2. BD corresponds with 1, thus it's smallest side and opposite the smallest angle (30°). Sufficient.

(2) y = 60. x=180-90-60=30. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is angle x = 30 degrees? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:05
enigma123 wrote:

(1) The length of CD is twice the length of BD.
(2) y = 60

This is how I am trying to solve this, but there is bit of a guess work. So can someone please help?

Considering the figure CD is the diameter of the circle and its the hypotenuse of the triangle too i.e. Angle CBD= 90 degrees. --------------------------------------(1). This is where I am guessing.

Hi,You are right in your logic. In fact what you are guessing is actually true ,with respect to the figure-- If the hypotenuse of the triangle is also the diameter of the circle , then the angle opposite to it is a right angle .
In other words 'the angle inscribed by the diameter of a circle is a right angle'.

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director

Re: If CD is the diameter of the circle, does x equal 30? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:10
Agree dentobizz and Bunuel - but no where in question says that its a diameter - so are we assuming or am I missing something?

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If CD is the diameter of the circle, does x equal 30? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:16
enigma123 wrote:

CD is the diameter of the circle as given in the question stem

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director

Re: If CD is the diameter of the circle, does x equal 30? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 17:16
My sincere apologies. I agree and thanks to both of you.

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Science (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Triangle Inscribed [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:29
D

If CD is a diameter then triangle BCD is a right angle triangle with angle B = 90.

For triangle BCD, angle B +x +y = 180

Therefore we know that x+y=90.

1) . CD = 2 x BD.

By Pythagorus Theorem, CD x CD = (BD x BD) + (BC x BC)

=> (BCxBC) = 4 (BDxBD) - (BDxBD) = 3 (BDxBD)
=> BC = \sqrt{3} BD

Tan x = BD / BC
= BD/(\sqrt{3}BD)
= 1/\sqrt{3}

=> x = 30

SUFFICIENT

2) y=60

& x+y=90

=> x= 90-60 = 30

SUFFICIENT
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Is angle x = 30 degrees? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 04:52
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Triangle.jpg

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

(1) The length of CD is twice the length of BD --> ratio of a hypotenuse to a side is 2:1 --> we have 30°, 60°, and 90° right triangle, where the sides are always in the ratio 1:\sqrt{3}:2. BD corresponds with 1, thus it's smallest side and opposite the smallest angle (30°). Sufficient.

I am having difficulties applying ratios in triangles. If CD=2BD then the their ratio is (CD/BD)= 2. Based on this, shouldn't the ratio of their corresponding angles (90° corresponds to side CD, and x° corresponds to BD) be the same? So, (90°/x°)=2 --> x°=45° I know this is wrong, and I understand the explanation using the 30-60-90 ratio but I don't understand why my ratio lead to the wrong solution. I hope someone can clarify this for me :)

cheers,

Max
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3602

Kudos [?]: 28657 [0], given: 2808

Re: Is angle x = 30 degrees? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 05:21
Expert's post
damamikus wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Triangle.jpg

I am having difficulties applying ratios in triangles. If CD=2BD then the their ratio is (CD/BD)= 2. Based on this, shouldn't the ratio of their corresponding angles (90° corresponds to side CD, and x° corresponds to BD) be the same? So, (90°/x°)=2 --> x°=45° I know this is wrong, and I understand the explanation using the 30-60-90 ratio but I don't understand why my ratio lead to the wrong solution. I hope someone can clarify this for me :)

cheers,

Max

In a triangle the ratios of the sides and the ratios of the angles not necessarily equal to each other.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Is angle x = 30 degrees?   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2014, 05:21