Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 02:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence.

It most logically follows from the statement above that, if Country X does intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region
(A) Will definitely fall under enemy influence
(B) Will probably fall under enemy influence
(C) Will probably not fall under enemy influence
(D) Will definitely not fall under enemy influence
(E) May or may not fall under enemy influence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 05:18
C...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 34
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 05:48
C or E..............I'm confused!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 06:02
E is not affirmative enough, especially with the word "may"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 394
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 07:28
E.

We only know that if the do NOT intervene, then Y will fall to the enemy.

If they DO intervene, then Y may or may not fall to the enemy.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 14:05
I am with E too, we can't really conclude anything from the statement except that it has a chance of not falling, but it also has a chance of falling
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 299
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 14:10
I go with E as well. Mostly because it is possible that country X only has three soldiers...which gives them only a slightly better chance, and will then make sure that country X also falls under enemy rule...No info about country X...maybe country X is the invader
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 17:11
I'd go with D.
Question is "most logically follows from the statement". Statement says that, if X doesn't intervene Y then all region will definitely fall.... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, but the statemant says will definitely. So most logically, in my opinion, we should turn everythig around, i.e. if X intervenes Y, that all region will definitely not fall... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, we don't know, but we are asked to follow the logic flow of the statement which suggests D.
What's the OA?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 17:39
linau wrote:
I'd go with D.
Question is "most logically follows from the statement". Statement says that, if X doesn't intervene Y then all region will definitely fall.... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, but the statemant says will definitely. So most logically, in my opinion, we should turn everythig around, i.e. if X intervenes Y, that all region will definitely not fall... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, we don't know, but we are asked to follow the logic flow of the statement which suggests D.
What's the OA?


This actually doesn't work. You cannot conclude the negative of a conditional logically follows from the conditional. If A, then B does not mean if not A, then not B. The only thing you can logically conclude is the contrapositive - if not B, then not A. In this case, I think that would be something like "If the whole region is definitely not going to fall under enemy influence, then Country X will have to intervene." Doesn't help us find an answer though, since it asks for if not A, then what?

I'd say the answer is E.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 20:37
klong009 wrote:
linau wrote:
I'd go with D.
Question is "most logically follows from the statement". Statement says that, if X doesn't intervene Y then all region will definitely fall.... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, but the statemant says will definitely. So most logically, in my opinion, we should turn everythig around, i.e. if X intervenes Y, that all region will definitely not fall... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, we don't know, but we are asked to follow the logic flow of the statement which suggests D.
What's the OA?


This actually doesn't work. You cannot conclude the negative of a conditional logically follows from the conditional. If A, then B does not mean if not A, then not B. The only thing you can logically conclude is the contrapositive - if not B, then not A. In this case, I think that would be something like "If the whole region is definitely not going to fall under enemy influence, then Country X will have to intervene." Doesn't help us find an answer though, since it asks for if not A, then what?

I'd say the answer is E.


How is E different from C?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 20:53
aurobindo wrote:
klong009 wrote:
linau wrote:
I'd go with D.
Question is "most logically follows from the statement". Statement says that, if X doesn't intervene Y then all region will definitely fall.... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, but the statemant says will definitely. So most logically, in my opinion, we should turn everythig around, i.e. if X intervenes Y, that all region will definitely not fall... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, we don't know, but we are asked to follow the logic flow of the statement which suggests D.
What's the OA?


This actually doesn't work. You cannot conclude the negative of a conditional logically follows from the conditional. If A, then B does not mean if not A, then not B. The only thing you can logically conclude is the contrapositive - if not B, then not A. In this case, I think that would be something like "If the whole region is definitely not going to fall under enemy influence, then Country X will have to intervene." Doesn't help us find an answer though, since it asks for if not A, then what?

I'd say the answer is E.


How is E different from C?


C - Will probably not fall under enemy influence

E - May or may not fall under enemy influence

C suggests that it is more likely that the region won't fall under enemy influence. We don't know that, and we can't assume it. We have no information about "probably."

E doesn't imply that one outcome (falling or not falling) is more likely than the other. That's all we can know - if County X intervenes, the region may or may not fall. We can't logically conclude any of the other answers.

Does that help?
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 20:55
klong009 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
klong009 wrote:
linau wrote:
I'd go with D.
Question is "most logically follows from the statement". Statement says that, if X doesn't intervene Y then all region will definitely fall.... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, but the statemant says will definitely. So most logically, in my opinion, we should turn everythig around, i.e. if X intervenes Y, that all region will definitely not fall... Yes, it might, it might not, might probably, we don't know, but we are asked to follow the logic flow of the statement which suggests D.
What's the OA?


This actually doesn't work. You cannot conclude the negative of a conditional logically follows from the conditional. If A, then B does not mean if not A, then not B. The only thing you can logically conclude is the contrapositive - if not B, then not A. In this case, I think that would be something like "If the whole region is definitely not going to fall under enemy influence, then Country X will have to intervene." Doesn't help us find an answer though, since it asks for if not A, then what?

I'd say the answer is E.


How is E different from C?


C - Will probably not fall under enemy influence

E - May or may not fall under enemy influence

C suggests that it is more likely that the region won't fall under enemy influence. We don't know that, and we can't assume it. We have no information about "probably."

E doesn't imply that one outcome (falling or not falling) is more likely than the other. That's all we can know - if County X intervenes, the region may or may not fall. We can't logically conclude any of the other answers.

Does that help?


Thanks Klong.

OA is E. :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 167
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2007, 12:00
Ya im not surprised its E. We can infer anything about the probibility of it falling, and therefore it must be something neutral, like "may or may not"
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 242
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2007, 09:37
'E' is broader statement than 'C'. Therefore greater chances to be true.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1390
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2007, 10:08
If A = always doing something
then non A = not doing something sometimes


If A = never doing something
then non A = doing something sometimes

If A = doing something sometimes
then non A = never doing something

If A = not doing something sometimes
then non A = always doing something

Courtesy HongHu's post from the stickies....

E it is
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 01:43
trivikram wrote:
If A = always doing something
then non A = not doing something sometimes


If A = never doing something
then non A = doing something sometimes

If A = doing something sometimes
then non A = never doing something

If A = not doing something sometimes
then non A = always doing something

Courtesy HongHu's post from the stickies....


E it is


Vikky, can you please elaborate on how you applied this logic in the above question?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1390
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Enemy influence [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 04:39
aurobindo wrote:
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence.

It most logically follows from the statement above that, if Country X does intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region
(A) Will definitely fall under enemy influence
(B) Will probably fall under enemy influence
(C) Will probably not fall under enemy influence
(D) Will definitely not fall under enemy influence
(E) May or may not fall under enemy influence


If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence

This is of the the type

Y if and only if X
This is the equivalent of: If X then Y, AND if Y then X. Also, if non X then non Y. If non Y then non X

So we are now asked if non X then non Y

But here Y is the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence

so non Y is apply the rule from my previous post.

If A = always doing something
then non A = not doing something sometimes

So non Y is not falling definetely under enemy influence some times..

E is the closest representation.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Enemy influence [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 05:22
trivikram wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence.

It most logically follows from the statement above that, if Country X does intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region
(A) Will definitely fall under enemy influence
(B) Will probably fall under enemy influence
(C) Will probably not fall under enemy influence
(D) Will definitely not fall under enemy influence
(E) May or may not fall under enemy influence


If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, then the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence

This is of the the type

Y if and only if X
This is the equivalent of: If X then Y, AND if Y then X. Also, if non X then non Y. If non Y then non X

So we are now asked if non X then non Y

But here Y is the whole region will definitely fall under enemy influence

so non Y is apply the rule from my previous post.

If A = always doing something
then non A = not doing something sometimes

So non Y is not falling definetely under enemy influence some times..

E is the closest representation.


Or is it of "Y unless X" structure ?

Definitely fall under enemy influence unless military intervention

"Y unless X" structure means Non X then Y, and Non Y then X

X = Definitely fall under enemy influence
Y = Military intervention

If we go by Non X then Y, structure:

Non X = some times not falling under enemy influence

Hence the option E is the answer.

Is my understanding right?
Re: CR: Enemy influence   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2007, 05:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, Banta 7 01 Sep 2006, 20:35
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, mahesh004 7 02 Jun 2006, 20:22
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, sushom101 13 24 Oct 2005, 14:08
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, vprabhala 4 21 Mar 2005, 13:44
If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y, nocilis 13 01 Mar 2005, 22:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If Country X does not intervene militarily in Country Y,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.