Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [5] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:48) correct 42% (00:57) wrong based on 161 sessions
If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon emissions in the United States will soar to a level more than one-third higher than were those in 1990, according to official projections.
A. will soar to a level more than one-third higher than were those
B. will soar to a level more than one-third higher than that
C. would soar to a level more than one-third higher than is was
D. would soar to a level more than one-third higher than those
E. would soar to a level more than one-third higher than they were
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [3] , given: 18

Re: carbon emissions in the United States [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon emissions in the United States will soar to a level more than one-third higher than were those in 1990, according to official projections.

I choose B.
First of all, we are dealing here with a singular subject (emissions level) and as such it requires a singular "that", not "those". On the basis of this, we can eliminate answer choices A, D, and E. Just by looking at C, you can simply rule it out ( is was). So, B is the correct answer.
This problem is yet another example of skimming the CAT in different ways. We can solve this problem by looking at "that" and "those" or we can look at the split between "will" and "would". If we consider the split between "will" and "would", the rule says to go for "will" because we are not dealing with a hypothetical case here and as such it doesn't warrant the use of "would". On the basis of this split, we can safely rule out answer choices C, D and E. Between A and b, we go for B because A uses the plural pronoun "those" inplace of "that"
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [4] , given: 10

Re: carbon emissions in the United States [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
The point here is, the hypothetical if..then statement.

if ( Present) trends continue result ( definite - so future will). This is a well defined if.. then structure. Similar structures exist for if (past) result (future past - would) and if (past perfect) result (future past perfect - would have ).

Seeing these structures one can figure out the answer option quite quickly.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: carbon emissions in the United States [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 20:26
B.first its an if then construction so it needs will in then clause when if is in present tense.we need to compare "carbon emissions soaring" in 1999 with 2000
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 104

Re: carbon emissions in the United States [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 22:15
Great question. Took sometime time to get to B but used the singular plural marker to arrive.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: carbon emissions in the United States [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 08:15

level of carbon emissions is discussed here - so singular pronoun is required here.
we must use will rather than would, which is hypothetical, for future tense.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [3] , given: 20

Re: carbon emissions in the United States [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
Really nice work here, team! This one really comes down to two main points:

1) The "If x happens, then y will happen" construction - we need "will" and not "would"
2) We're forced to choose between "that in 1990" and "those in 1990", so we need to find the correct noun that "that/those" refers back to. We have some clues:

"more than one third higher" is the comparison. Can the "emissions" (the plural potential antecedent) really be higher than those previously? That would just mean that they're vertically higher in the atmosphere than before...that doesn't make logical sense. The "level", though, makes perfectly logical sense to be higher, so it really has to be "level", and therefore "that" not "those".

The comparison "more than" comes after the verb "soar", meaning that the object of the verb "soar" is going to have to be what's "more than" what came prior. Grammatically, that takes us again to "level", and "that" not "those".

Great work, B Team!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 52

Re: If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 15:06
chose D, then figured that if----will so yea B for me

Sky is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 11

Re: If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 09:25
will is needed. A is incorrect to use those. B.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 02:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 02:08
PTK wrote:

we can infer the intended meaning right when we read only the original choice. the meaning is the level of the year 2010 is higher than the level of the year previous.. This step require effort adn skillful.

"those" is wrong because we need a singular pronoun
"was,were" are wrong because ellipsis rule require that to use a form of to be in the second half of comparison, a form of to be needs to present in the first half of comparison.

both will and would can be used in present time, and would is less certain.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2014, 02:08