Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 Jul 2015, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and N, where N an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2013
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and N, where N an [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 01:01
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:12) correct 49% (01:14) wrong based on 88 sessions
If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and N, where N and A are integers. What is the value of D

(1) N = 20891
(2) N = A + 6
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Oct 2013, 01:36, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1814
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 215

Kudos [?]: 1476 [2] , given: 1201

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Number System [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 01:17
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
DivyanshuRohatgi wrote:
If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and n , where n and A are integers . What is the value of D

1. N=20891
2. N=A+6

Can someone help me with this


IMO B

2nd statement tells us that second integer is A+6, and the question stem tells us that fist integer is A+7

So they are consecutive integers. Consecutive integers have only one factor in common which is 1. So their GCD is 1

NOTE :- Always name the topic properly.
_________________

Join us in Live chat with Current INSEAD Students!!]

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 80
Location: Brazil
Schools: CBS '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 33

Re: Number System [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 13:50
Narenn wrote:
DivyanshuRohatgi wrote:
Consecutive integers have only one factor in common which is 1.



AKA, coprimes! :lol:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: preparing for the GMAT
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 40
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-15-2013
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Number System [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 02:51
Narenn wrote:

Consecutive integers have only one factor in common which is 1. So their GCD is 1


too many properties to remember.


thanks
_________________

لا الله الا الله, محمد رسول الله


You never fail until you stop trying ,,,

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 2046
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q0 V
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 355

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Number System [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 09:20
Narenn wrote:
DivyanshuRohatgi wrote:
If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and n , where n and A are integers . What is the value of D

1. N=20891
2. N=A+6

Can someone help me with this


IMO B

2nd statement tells us that second integer is A+6, and the question stem tells us that fist integer is A+7

So they are consecutive integers. Consecutive integers have only one factor in common which is 1. So their GCD is 1

NOTE :- Always name the topic properly.


Yo what about Statement 1?

I though that number was prime

Cheers!
J :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1814
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 215

Kudos [?]: 1476 [1] , given: 1201

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Number System [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 11:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
Narenn wrote:
DivyanshuRohatgi wrote:
If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and n , where n and A are integers . What is the value of D

1. N=20891
2. N=A+6

Can someone help me with this


IMO B

2nd statement tells us that second integer is A+6, and the question stem tells us that fist integer is A+7

So they are consecutive integers. Consecutive integers have only one factor in common which is 1. So their GCD is 1

NOTE :- Always name the topic properly.


Yo what about Statement 1?

I though that number was prime

Cheers!
J :)


Still we have two possibilities
A) If 20891 is factor of A+7 then D is 20891
B) If 20891 is not factor of A+7 then D is 1

Two different answers.
_________________

Join us in Live chat with Current INSEAD Students!!]

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Re: Number System   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 11:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 If the greatest common factor of two integers, m and n, is rxs0005 8 20 Mar 2011, 08:52
F M 42. If d is the greatest common divisor of x and y, peergmatclub 13 30 Jun 2008, 18:10
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m dancer 9 25 Oct 2006, 18:29
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m mrmikec 4 16 Jun 2006, 21:39
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m gmat_crack 5 08 Apr 2006, 20:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If D is the greatest common divisor of A+7 and N, where N an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.