Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 12:18
If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 12:37
Mode X + Mode Y = 5 represents a square with side 10.

So Answer should be 10*10 = 100

Explanation
Mode X can be any value from and between -5 to 5.
Similarly if above statement is true then Mode Y can be any value from and between 5 to -5.
Valye of Mode X and Mode Y will be such that their sum is 5.

Now extreme condrinates can be (-5,0), (0,-5), (5,0), and (0,5)

Answer E.

Last edited by abhijit_sen on 08 Mar 2008, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 16:07
D for me.

It must be a square enclosed with coordinates - (-5,0), (0,-5), (5,0), and (0,5)

Each side is sqrt(5^2 + 5^2) = 5*sqrt(2)

Area of sqaure = 5*sqrt(2) * 5*sqrt(2) = 50
Director
Director
Followers: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 16:13
I agree with sreehari, I miscalculated it. Thanks mate.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 18:59
suntaurian wrote:
If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?

Points are (0,5) (5,0) (0,-5) and (-5,0) Thus diameter is 10. xsqrt2=10 --> x=5sqrt2 x^2=50

D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 20:26
Yes D is the correct answer.

I actualy drew the graph with that region and I spent a lot of time. What is an easier and quicker way to do it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 01:16
Not sure if I am the odd man out...but why can't the values of x and y also be (1, 4) or (2, 3) or (3, 2) or (4, 1) which will give +ve and -ve co-ordinates in the four quadrants.

It does not say anywhere in the equation that either X or Y is 0. How did all of you guys assume that the values are only 5 & 0.
Also it does not say that its the biggest region encompassed...

Please clarify....
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 0

Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
suntaurian wrote:
Not sure if I am the odd man out...but why can't the values of x and y also be (1, 4) or (2, 3) or (3, 2) or (4, 1) which will give +ve and -ve co-ordinates in the four quadrants.

It does not say anywhere in the equation that either X or Y is 0. How did all of you guys assume that the values are only 5 & 0.

Please clarify....

Here is the deal - you need to find the points of intersection to figure out the area enlclosed by the given equations. The above points lie on the lines, but they are not where the lines intersect.

Let us take an example - two out four equations from the equation in question are x+y=5 and -x+y=5.

I use the form x/a + y/b = 1 to find out the x and y intercept (a is the x intercept and b is the y intercept). Or you can substitute x=0 and y=0 to get the same result - it's your choice.

For x+y=5 - (5,0) and (0,5) are the points where it intersects x and y axis.

For -x+y=5 - (-5,0) and (0,5) are the points where it intersects x and y axis.

So clearly they intersect at (0,5). You don't need to complete the whole process here. Based on the analysis so far you can see that the two above equations are pependicular to each other and intersect on y axis. So by logic of symmetry you can fill in the blanks to complete the picture and can see it's a square with vertices - (-5,0), (0,-5), (5,0), and (0,5).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Maths: what is the area of the region? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 07:38
sreehari wrote:
suntaurian wrote:

Please clarify....

Here is the deal - you need to find the points of intersection to figure out the area enlclosed by the given equations. The above points lie on the lines, but they are not where the lines intersect.

Let us take an example - two out four equations from the equation in question are x+y=5 and -x+y=5.

I use the form x/a + y/b = 1 to find out the x and y intercept (a is the x intercept and b is the y intercept). Or you can substitute x=0 and y=0 to get the same result - it's your choice.

For x+y=5 - (5,0) and (0,5) are the points where it intersects x and y axis.

For -x+y=5 - (-5,0) and (0,5) are the points where it intersects x and y axis.

So clearly they intersect at (0,5). You don't need to complete the whole process here. Based on the analysis so far you can see that the two above equations are pependicular to each other and intersect on y axis. So by logic of symmetry you can fill in the blanks to complete the picture and can see it's a square with vertices - (-5,0), (0,-5), (5,0), and (0,5).

Good explanation. That's what I wanted to understand. +1
Re: Maths: what is the area of the region?   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2008, 07:38