Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If i and d are integers, what is the value of i?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

If i and d are integers, what is the value of i? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 19:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:41) correct 51% (01:41) wrong based on 95 sessions

(1) The remainder when i is divided by (d+2) is the same as when i is divided by d
(2) The quotient when i is divided by (d+2) is d

What is the best way to tackle this kind of DS problems?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Feb 2012, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3235

Kudos [?]: 22263 [0], given: 2602

Re: What is the best way to tackle this kind of DS problems [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 06:31
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
smodak wrote:
(1) The remainder when i is divided by (d+2) is the same as when i is divided by d

It can be done algebraically but picking numbers would probably be faster/easier.

(1) The remainder when i is divided by (d+2) is the same as when i is divided by d --> let the remainder be 0 to simplify the case. So, we have that i is divisible by both d and d+2 --> if d=1 then d+2=3 and i can be ANY multiple of 3. Not sufficient.

(2) The quotient when i is divided by (d+2) is d --> let the remainder be 0 to simplify the case. Now, if d=2 then d+2=4, so i=8 (8/4=2: i=8 divided by d+2=4 yields the quotient of d=2) but if d=3 then d+2=5 and i=15 (15/5=3). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Notice that two values of i from (2) works for (1) as well: 8 is divisible d=2 and d+2=4 and 15 is divisible by d=3 and d+2=5.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What is the best way to tackle this kind of DS problems [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 15:12
Bunuel wrote:
smodak wrote:

It can be done algebraically but picking numbers would probably be faster/easier.

(1) The remainder when i is divided by (d+2) is the same as when i is divided by d --> let the remainder be 0 to simplify the case. So, we have that i is divisible by both d and d+2 --> if d=1 then d+2=3 and i can be ANY multiple of 3. Not sufficient.

(2) The quotient when i is divided by (d+2) is d --> let the remainder be 0 to simplify the case. Now, if d=2 then d+2=4, so i=8 (8/4=2: i=8 divided by d+2=4 yields the quotient of d=2) but if d=3 then d+2=5 and i=15 (15/5=3). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Notice that two values of i from (2) works for (1) as well: 8 is divisible d=2 and d+2=4 and 15 is divisible by d=3 and d+2=5.

Hope it's clear.

What's the trick in this question? Is it only the fact that 'd' and 'd+2' as denominators can be larger than 'i' and therefore, 'i' could take any value as long as it is smaller than the denominator as well as being a multiple of both 'd' and 'd+2' ? (Has to be a multiple otherwise remainder can't be zero)

What do you guys thimk?

Cheers
J :)
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What is the best way to tackle this kind of DS problems [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 05:07
Bunuel wrote:
smodak wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Can this somehow be done algebraically or conceptually

I had that first i/ (d+2) and i/d, yield the same remainder, but if both d and d+2, are larger than i, then 'i' could just take any value as the remainder.

Clearly insufficient

Statement 2 we have that i = (d)(d+2) + r

Now, if we replace in first term, we have that (d)(d+2) + r / (d+2), gives d as quotient but still we are left with r as a remainder of d+2. while we also know that i/d gives the same remainder. Here we learn that 'i' must be greater than d+2 since if gives quotient d. However, we still have no clue as to what remainder the division can yield

Both together, i>d, i = d(d+2) + r, and 'r' here is equal to the remainder of i/d = d(d+2) / d.

So r/d = r/d+2, but still no information on the remainder

Hence answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 176

CAT Tests
If i and d are integers, what is the value of i? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 13:38

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3235

Kudos [?]: 22263 [0], given: 2602

Re: If i and d are integers, what is the value of i? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 13:57
Expert's post
goodyear2013 wrote:

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the discussion above.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4457 [0], given: 162

Re: If i and d are integers, what is the value of i? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 21:05
Expert's post
smodak wrote:

Question: What is the value of i?

How do you express stmnt 1 in an equation?
Stmnt 1: The remainder when i is divided by (d+2) is the same as when i is divided by d.

Say when i is divided by d or d + 2, the remainder we obtain is r. Does this mean that if we subtract r from i, whatever is leftover will be divisible by d as well as (d+2)? So assuming that d and d+2 do not have any common factors (even if they do have common factors other than 1, they can only have 2 as a common factor), we can put it down as

i - r = d(d + 2)k
i = d(d + 2)k + r
Now for different values of d, k and r, values of i will be different.

Stmnt 2: The quotient when i is divided by (d+2) is d
This tells us that
i = d(d +2) + r
Now for different values of d and r, values of i will be different.

Using both, we know that k is 1. But for different values of d and r, we can still have different values of i. Not sufficient.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: If i and d are integers, what is the value of i?   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 21:05