Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If I'm graduating undergrad at 30 is an MBA still possible?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

If I'm graduating undergrad at 30 is an MBA still possible? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 18:02
Hello everyone this is my first post although I've been lurking for about a month now. I've finally started to get focused on studying for my GMAT and applying to schools and I would like some insight on my unique situation. I'm what I would call a "late bloomer" meaning I didn't start college until 25 and I'll be graduating at the end of the Summer 2013 semester at the age of 30. I've worked full time since I was 18 and didn't start college until late because I couldn't afford it. I currently attend the University of Florida majoring in Business Administration and I have a 3.48 GPA. If the next 2 semesters go as planned I'll graduate with a 3.68 GPA. I recently took my first timed GMAT CAT with the Manhattan GMAT and earned a 580 (Q/29 V/40). I know I need to work on my quant and I've bought the Foundations of GMAT Math book to sand off the rust. I work full time at a large bank doing brokerage customer service and most of my work experience is in customer service. I plan on continuing in the financial career field and going into investment banking on the institutional side. I'm researching Wharton, Columbia, UCLA, Chicago Booth and Cal Berkley. What do you think my chances are? Any advice on gaining more leadership experience?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If I'm graduating undergrad at 30 is an MBA still possible? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 18:35
First of all, I admire your determination and desire to better yourself. That said, I have a few questions/comments.

• Have you considered a PT MBA? The programs you listed are some of the most competitive in the world. Even the two that are the least "prestigious" (Anderson/Haas) have very low acceptance rates due in part to their California location and small class sizes.
  • I agree you need to raise your GMAT. I'd target 700+ for a PT program. To get into one of the programs you mentioned for a FT MBA, you may need a monster score (i.e., 750+).
  • What leadership experience have you had to date at your current/recent employer(s)?

Finally, I'd suggest you post this to the Admissions Consultant subforums, too, as they may have real-world experience working with clients with similar backgrounds/challenges.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If I'm graduating undergrad at 30 is an MBA still possible? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 05:37
Thanks KingFalcon I appreciate that. I am considering PT MBA programs as an option as well. However I feel that a full time MBA would benefit me the most due to the fact that I don't have the management skills and leadership skills that I really desire and feel I can obtain from a full time MBA program. I don't want a watered down MBA. I'm ready and prepared to fully immerse myself in the grad school life. I don't have any personal obligations holding me back either which is a plus. I'm definitely shooting for a 700+ score and I feel that raising my quant capabilities won't be too difficult. I'm reallly just rusty because I haven't taken a math class in a few years and the data sufficiency questions confused the hell out of me because I'd never had to answer questions in that manner before. But that's no excuse and I am focusing most of my efforts on the quant portion. As far as leadership experience I currently volunteer to help local high school students learn personal finance and I feel teaching a room full of rowdy teens should count as leadership. I also have also taken the lead in my department on obtaining certain brokerage licenses that are required to do what we do and once I obtained my licenses I helped my colleagues study and obtain theirs. I don't know if these experiences will be sufficient so I'm looking for ideas on other ways to obtain leadership experience. In customer service you don't really get a lot of leadership opportunities thrown at you. I'll post this in the Admissions Consultants subforum as well and see what advice I can obtain there. Thanks again!
Re: If I'm graduating undergrad at 30 is an MBA still possible?   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2012, 05:37