Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 01:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:23) correct 50% (00:29) wrong based on 2 sessions
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Posts: 157
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 02:53
It can't be "lie" ruling out (c) and (e).

"I was" (d) is ruled out - this is subjunctive mood. So only a and b left>

Between "If I were him" and "If I were he"...

Well, "I" is the subject of the clause and "he/him" is the object. As object, we have to use "him".

Answer (B)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Subjunctive Mood [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 10:55
Beyond700 wrote:
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:


Even I am confused between A and B.. Can some enlightened grammer soul enlighten me on this elaborately ?? :roll:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 908
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Subjunctive Mood [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 12:10
Beyond700 wrote:
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:


B. DE are wrong for "was". C has wrong verb "lie". Between A and B, him not he is preferred to represent the pronoun.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 12:22
B is the answer, correct verb "lay" and pronoun "him".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 320
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 13:14
Yeah going with B.

Need the form lay', object pronoun 'him', and subjunctive 'were'
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Subjunctive Mood [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 14:05
Beyond700 wrote:
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:


I will go for B too..
C,E are out because of verb form (lie) it must be lay.
D is out because of incorrect subjuntive (was)
A is out because of incorrect object pronoun (he)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 16:41
Raffie wrote:
It can't be "lie" ruling out (c) and (e).

"I was" (d) is ruled out - this is subjunctive mood. So only a and b left>

Between "If I were him" and "If I were he"...

Well, "I" is the subject of the clause and "he/him" is the object. As object, we have to use "him".

Answer (B)


Pronouns have 3 cases
he - predicate nominatives (nominative case)
him - objective case
his - Genitive case

how can we substantiate or justify that after were there should be an object. Is there any rule or any reference that says so..

Following facts hold good for this sentence...
Were - is not a preposition.
The whole sentence is in subjunctive mood
And it is 2nd conditional.. if + Past Simple, + Would + Base form

If there should be an object next to were then how good is the following sentence??

Eg:- If I were you, I would tell her
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 908
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Subjunctive Mood [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 23:16
Amit05 wrote:
Himalayan wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:


B. DE are wrong for "was". C has wrong verb "lie". Between A and B, him not he is preferred to represent the pronoun.


Can you elaborate why you say so ??


3 pronouns:
i: subject pronouns: he
ii: object pronouns: him
iii: possesive pronouns: his

in this sentence "If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.", he is in place of object. therefore it should be object "him".

hth. 8-)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Subjunctive Mood [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 15:20
Beyond700 wrote:
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:


For any native speaker, If I were he should set off alarm bells. This is just wrong.

Then its pretty easy to see that B is the only choice.

If u don't know about he, then elim "lie" b/c its incorrect here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Subjunctive Mood [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 19:36
Beyond700 wrote:
If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and keep it away from the kitchen table.

(A) If I were he, I would lay
(B) If I were him, I would lay
(C) If I were he, I would lie
(D) If I was he, I would lay
(e) If I was he, I would lie

You have 105 seconds and your time starts now..

Good luck.. :twisted:


If I was - is always wrong - so D and E are out.

If I were him - is the right one -- Going with option B.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 05:57
Here comes the OA. Source ARCO.

The various answer choices in this example contain three places where an error may occur: was or were; he or him; and lay or lie. The correct choices from the three pairs of alternatives are were because the first clause is contrary to fact (the I is not he) and therefore requires the subjunctive mood of the verb (I were rather than the normal or indicative, mood, I was; he because whenever a form of the verb to be is used (in this case, were), the pronouns on both the sides of the verb must be subjects ( the I is a subject, and the he is a predicate nominative); and lay, wihch means "to put or place," not lie which means "to recline" (an error of diction). Therefore, the correct answer is (A) [/i]
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 5
GPA: 3.04
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 09:23
This type of GMAT question can be easily solved if we look at the differences of answer choices.
There are 03(three) differences in the question. We have to select between were/was, he/him & lie/lay.

Since was/were is a BE verb, and BE verb can't have an object Pronoun after it, we can easily reject option 'B'. Again it's a contrary to fact sentence, so we have to use WERE instead of WAS as an Auxiliary verb. So, reject D & E. Now, we have only A & C.
Remember, LIE(present form) is an intransitive verb, meaning it can't have an Object. LAY(present form) is a Transitive verb, meaning it must have an Object. Since we have 'That Manuscript' as an object of the verb, we must use the Transitive form LAY. So, reject C
Finally, Correct Answer A.

P.S- You can check any grammar book, (preferrably SAT/GMAT)if you have doubt regarding this 3 grammar rule.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 5
GPA: 3.04
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 09:25
This type of GMAT question can be easily solved if we look at the differences of answer choices.
There are 03(three) differences in the question. We have to select between were/was, he/him & lie/lay.

Since was/were is a BE verb, and BE verb can't have an object Pronoun after it, we can easily reject option 'B'. Again it's a contrary to fact sentence, so we have to use WERE instead of WAS as an Auxiliary verb. So, reject D & E. Now, we have only A & C.
Remember, LIE(present form) is an intransitive verb, meaning it can't have an Object. LAY(present form) is a Transitive verb, meaning it must have an Object. Since we have 'That Manuscript' as an object of the verb, we must use the Transitive form LAY. So, reject C
Finally, Correct Answer A.

P.S- You can check any grammar book, (preferably SAT/GMAT)if you have doubt regarding these 3 grammar rules.
Re: If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2014, 09:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Between you and I, I doubt that he will come. A. and I, I Hussain15 9 02 Sep 2009, 10:12
1 If Max were guilty, he would not ask the police to vaivish1723 4 01 Jul 2009, 00:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic I would appreciate an evaluation JF777 1 30 Sep 2008, 13:07
If steve were half his age older, he would be twice the age raaja 1 26 Jun 2006, 20:07
If she were I, she would have accepted the prize if she had navneetaron 3 30 Mar 2005, 10:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If I were he, I would lay that manuscript on the sofa and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.