Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [58]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: If interest rates remain at their current high levels, many people who [#permalink]
I was thinking between A and C, and I can't understand why B is correct.

B says:
The first is a consideration that the author believes will result in a certain situation; the second is that situation.

If paraphrased, it means to me that second (stable market) is a situation and then the first one (people hesitating to buy homes) follows that situation. However, it is exactly the opposite in the question stem: people hesitating to buy homes eventually leads to stable market.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If interest rates remain at their current high levels, many people who [#permalink]
happyinlove505 wrote:

B says:
The first is a consideration that the author believes will result in a certain situation; the second is that situation.

If paraphrased, it means to me that second (stable market) is a situation and then the first one (people hesitating to buy homes) follows that situation. However, it is exactly the opposite in the question stem: people hesitating to buy homes eventually leads to stable market.

IMO B,

I think you misunderstood it; The first is a condition that leads to the second and not the other way around. High interest rates lead to stabilization, but you cannot say stabilization leads to high interest rates.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
happyinlove505 wrote:

B says:

Hi happyinlove505

I'm glad to help.

This question requires you to have some backgrounds of economics.

Your first understanding: "people hesitating to buy homes eventually leads to stable market ==> B is illogical" is not correct. Why?
First of all, stable market happens when demand and supply meet. If customers hesitate to buy homes, the demand declines. If the supply does not decline or declines faster than demand, we have a situation, namely "over supply", leading to UNSTABLE market, not stable market.

Why B is correct?

B seems to be illogical but it's correct. Let see.
The logic of B is:high interest rates --> sub-effect: stable market --> main-effect: people hesitate to buy homes.
The idea that B wants to conveys is: A belief (People hesitate to buy home) will happens in a situation (stable market when interest rate is high).
"High interest rate" is KEY and the main CONDITION leading to the effect "people hesitate to buy homes". The fact "stable market" is just the situation that reflects "high interest rates". If the market is stabilized NOT because of "high interest rate", the logic "people hesitate to buy homes in a stable market" is wrong.

That's why B means "people hesitate to buy homes in a situation - stable market" is correct.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
If interest rates remain at their current high levels, many people who currently rent their residences
will hesitate to purchase homes.
As the price of real estate continues to climb, the costs of a mortgage will be
too burdensome. Sellers will be forced to lower their asking prices. So, high interest rates will eventually
cause the real estate market to stabilize.

high interest --> people hesitate buy home
real estate high + high interest, --> mortgage cost high --> lower real estate
conclusion: real estate market stabilizes

In the argument above, the portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

• The first is the author’s main point; the second is a prediction that follows from that point.
The first is NOT the author’s main point;

• The first is a consideration that the author believes will result in a certain situation; the second is that situation.
correct

• The first is a consideration that weighs against the author’s main point; the second is the author’s main point.
The first is a consideration that NOT weighs against the author’s main point

• The first is a prediction; the second is evidence in support of that prediction.
The first is NOT a prediction

• The first is the author’s main point; the second is evidence used to argue against that point.
the second is NOT evidence used to argue against that point
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
Hi happyinlove505

I'm glad to help.

This question requires you to have some backgrounds of economics.
That's why B means "people hesitate to buy homes in a situation - stable market" is correct.

Hope it helps.

Hello pqhai,

I reviewed your explanation several times, but still could not understand :)
However, not I think I see where my understanding was wrong.

When I first read B, I misinterpreted "The first is a consideration that ... will result in a certain situation" as certain situation will lead to consideration or first. In other words consideration will happen in a situation:)
However, now I see that situation is actually a result of consideration :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts