Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town A to town B, what

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town A to town B, what [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 11:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (02:17) correct 68% (01:15) wrong based on 123 sessions
If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town A to town B, what was the average speed of the bus for the trip?

(1) In the first 2 hours the bus covered 100 miles.
(2) The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its average speed for the second half.

OLD VERSION OF THIS QUESTION:

If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town A to town B, what was the average speed of the bus for the trip?

(1) In the first 2 hours the bus covered 100 miles.
(2) The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its speed for the second half.

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m16#8

I am always really struggling with these... I can easily determine (at least something...) that it has to be C,E - but I usually have to guess then! Any help greatly appreciated! THANKS
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Jul 2013, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 12:56
AndreG wrote:

1. In the first 2 hours the bus covered 100 miles.
2. The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its speed for the second half.

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

I am always really struggling with these... I can easily determine (at least something...) that it has to be C,E - but I usually have to guess then! Any help greatly appreciated! THANKS

To know the average speed, we need total distance & total time. We know time=4h, so just need distance

(1) We only know 100miles covered in first 2 hours. Don't know about rest of the distance covered. Insufficient

(2) Avg speed was halfed in the second half. But we dont know what it actually was, so can't put a number to it. Insufficient

(1+2) Avg speed in first 2hours 50mph, distance is 100miles. Lets say distance covered in total is x.
For x/2 it went for speed s ... time taken = (x/2s)
For x/2 it went for speed s/2 ... time taken = (x/s)
(x/s) + (x/2s) = 4hrs ... (x/2s) = 4/3 hrs
Which means for 4/3 hours it went for speed s and then for the rest of the time the speed doubled.
So consider the first 2hours, (4/3)*s + (2/3)*(s/2) = 100 ... s=300/5=60
We know, we can know s/2 ... we can find out total distance covered = 60*(4/3) + 30*(8/3) = 160
So we can find out average speed = 160/4 = 40miles/hour
Sufficient

Answer is (C)
Where did u get E from ?

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3407

Kudos [?]: 24912 [1] , given: 2697

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shrouded1 wrote:
AndreG wrote:

2. The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its speed for the second half.

To know the average speed, we need total distance & total time. We know time=4h, so just need distance

(1) We only know 100miles covered in first 2 hours. Don't know about rest of the distance covered. Insufficient

(2) Avg speed was halfed in the second half. But we dont know what it actually was, so can't put a number to it. Insufficient

(1+2) Avg speed in first 2hours 50mph, distance is 100miles. Lets say distance covered in total is x.
For x/2 it went for speed s ... time taken = (x/2s)
For x/2 it went for speed s/2 ... time taken = (x/s)
(x/s) + (x/2s) = 4hrs ... (x/2s) = 4/3 hrs
Which means for 4/3 hours it went for speed s and then for the rest of the time the speed doubled.
So consider the first 2hours, (4/3)*s + (2/3)*(s/2) = 100 ... s=300/5=60
We know, we can know s/2 ... we can find out total distance covered = 60*(4/3) + 30*(8/3) = 160
So we can find out average speed = 160/4 = 40miles/hour
Sufficient

Answer is (C)
Where did u get E from ?

I can justify E:

If (2) were: The constant speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its constant speed for the second half.

Then for (1)+(2) we would have: s_1*\frac{4}{3}+\frac{s_1}{2}*(2-\frac{4}{3})=100 --> we can find s_1 so we can find d (d=2*s_1*\frac{4}{3}). But as it is we don't know whether the average speed after first \frac{4}{3} hours till 2 hours from the start was \frac{s_1}{2} or less or more, we just know that the average speed from first \frac{4}{3} hours till 4 hours from the start was \frac{s_1}{2}.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 468 [1] , given: 25

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Tricky !

But I think the Q should probably be re-phrased as :
The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its average speed for the second half.

Makes it sound as if the speed in the second half was constant (since it is refered to simply as twice the speed in the second half)

Math write-ups

My GMAT story

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 5

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
AndreG wrote:

I thought it was C, and then I realized why it's E. I bolded the reason above. I read it too quickly and thought that (2) said "for the first half of the trip", thinking it covered 100 miles in 2 hours in the first half of the trip, which is 50 mph, and then it went 25 mph for the second half of the trip... so C. But it's actually the first half of the total distance, which is impossible to figure out. It could have gone only 150 miles. It could have gone 300. We don't know. So it's E.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 25

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 00:00
TehJay wrote:
AndreG wrote:

I thought it was C, and then I realized why it's E. I bolded the reason above. I read it too quickly and thought that (2) said "for the first half of the trip", thinking it covered 100 miles in 2 hours in the first half of the trip, which is 50 mph, and then it went 25 mph for the second half of the trip... so C. But it's actually the first half of the total distance, which is impossible to figure out. It could have gone only 150 miles. It could have gone 300. We don't know. So it's E.

Thats not true, as you can see above.
The only critical assumption is that the speed is not constant in the second half of the distance. If you assume that then you can still solve this and get (c)

Math write-ups

My GMAT story

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:15
shrouded1 wrote:
TehJay wrote:
AndreG wrote:

Thats not true, as you can see above.
The only critical assumption is that the speed is not constant in the second half of the distance. If you assume that then you can still solve this and get (c)

That's true... here assumption is constant speed

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [2] , given: 1

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
According to my calculation B is the ans..
from option 2.
take time as t1--for ist half...t2 for 2nd half....we know t1+t2 =4..
speed s1= 2s for 1st half ..., s2=s for 2nd half...
so s1/s2 =2= t2/t1..
so t1= 4*1/3 and t2= 4*2/3
hence 2s*4/3 + s*8/3 =100..
we can calculate s...hence we get avf speed for 1st ad 2nd half..
so avg speed too..

plz suggest
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3407

Kudos [?]: 24912 [1] , given: 2697

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sudhanshushankerjha wrote:
According to my calculation B is the ans..
from option 2.
take time as t1--for ist half...t2 for 2nd half....we know t1+t2 =4..
speed s1= 2s for 1st half ..., s2=s for 2nd half...
so s1/s2 =2= t2/t1..
so t1= 4*1/3 and t2= 4*2/3
hence 2s*4/3 + s*8/3 =100..
we can calculate s...hence we get avf speed for 1st ad 2nd half..
so avg speed too..

plz suggest

Read above discussion about the assumption in red.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT CLUB TEST m16#8 - Speed-time-distance [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Yaa got..ans will be E only...Thanx
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q50 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town A to town B, what [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 19:18
am i correct in assuming that total distance d will be less than 200 miles? if after 4/3 hours we've reached the midpoint and STILL have not reached 100 miles (that is only reached at the 2 hour point), ergo 100 < d < 200.
Now, we can definitively say that the bus' average speed for the first 4/3 hours (s1) was less than 75 mph, otherwise it would have hit 100 at the 4/3 hour point and not the 2 hour point. We can also say that s1 must have been more than 37.5 mph b/c, if it was any less, the speed required to make up the 100 miles in the remaining 2/3 of an hour would be netted out over the 8/3 to be more than .5 s1. So unlike the above commenter said before, there are very clear limits to s1 and d, although not enough to definitively answer the question.
Re: If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town A to town B, what   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2012, 19:18