Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1400 [27]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [5]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Price of jacket [#permalink]
Kudos
Jim's rate x dollar/hour.
Tom's rate y dollar/hour

Money made by Jim in 4 hours = Money made by Tom in 5 hours
=> 4x=5y----(1)

Stmt1: y=x-0.2x => y=0.8x
Put in (1) => 4x=4x. Same equation. Not sufficient.

Stmt2: x + y = $43.75
Also, 4x = 5y.
Two equation , two unknown. Sufficient.

OA B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
mojorising800 wrote:
If Jim earns x dollars per hour, it will take him 4 hours to earn exactly enough money to purchase a particular jacket. If Tom earns y dollars per hour, it will take him exactly 5 hours to earn enough money to purchase the same jacket. How much does the jacket cost?

(1) Tom makes 20% less per hour than Jim does.

(2) x + y = $43.75

B For me
as A and the information given in the question are same

B give an additional equation which is required to solve for the values

I wish these types of questions come in my real GMAT....... :) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Jack - $x/hr

has to work 4 hours to be able to buy a jacket = $4x spent on the jacket

Tom - $y/hr

has to work 5 hours to be able to buy the same jacket = $5y spent on the jacket

=>4x=5y=?

1. Not sufficient

y =(80/100)x => y =4x/5=>5y =4x

which is exact same equation

2. Sufficient
we can solve this equation and equation in the stem to get the jacket price.

Answer is B.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If Jim earns x dollars per hour, it will take him 4 hours [#permalink]
Expert Reply
4x = 5y
=> x/y = 4/5

Statement (1) just restates this fact, so nothing new here. Insufficient.
Statement (2) gives us another equation in x and y which we can solve to find x (or y) and calculate 4x or 5y. Sufficient.

(B) it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
+1 B
solve for x and solve for y. x = price of jacket / 4 and y = p/5.
when you know the relative rates of x and y they only tell you what p equals each other...
X + Y will you the rates and setting p/4 + p/5 you can solve what p is equal to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I dont understand why A is not sufficient. If tom earns 80% of what Jim makes, then i get the equation .8x(5)=x(4) where I got x=6.25 plug that back into the givens and I get the answer for J. I understand how you can say that this is not giving us new information but when you plug it back in you get an answer for J.

Here was my math

.8x(5)=x(4)

5=.2x(4)
1.25=.2x
x=6.25

Can someone help me understand where I went off into the wrong direction? Ive got this problem wrong 3x in the course of my studies and cannot understand where I am losing it. Thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Richard0715 wrote:
I dont understand why A is not sufficient. If tom earns 80% of what Jim makes, then i get the equation .8x(5)=x(4) where I got x=6.25 plug that back into the givens and I get the answer for J. I understand how you can say that this is not giving us new information but when you plug it back in you get an answer for J.

Here was my math

.8x(5)=x(4)

5=.2x(4)
1.25=.2x
x=6.25

Can someone help me understand where I went off into the wrong direction? Ive got this problem wrong 3x in the course of my studies and cannot understand where I am losing it. Thanks

Jim earns 4*x dollars in 4 hours = price of the jacket = 4x.
Similarly, Tom earns 5*y dollars in 5 hours = price of the same jacket = 5y.
Thus as 4x = 5y, we have y = 0.8x

Now from F.S 1, we know that Tom makes 80% of what Jim earns per hour--> Thus, y = 0.8x. This is exactly what we had, without the aid of any Fact Statements. Thus Insufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If Jim earns x dollars per hour, it will take him 4 hours to [#permalink]
mojorising800 wrote:
If Jim earns x dollars per hour, it will take him 4 hours to earn exactly enough money to purchase a particular jacket. If Tom earns y dollars per hour, it will take him exactly 5 hours to earn enough money to purchase the same jacket. How much does the jacket cost?

(2) x + y = $43.75

Jim x dollars 4 hours
Tom y dollars 5 hours
Since 4x = 5y, x/y 5/4; it implies y is 20% less than x
Therefore, statement (1) is redundant.

state(2)
x+y =43.75
4x=5y
therefore, x and y can be found
It is sufficient to answer the question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
skrishnakarthik wrote:

(2) x + y = $43.75

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Hello Bunuel,

Everything is fine with this question and its solution presented above, except for the part which reads- "it will take him 4 hours to earn exactly enough money to purchase a particular jacket".
Shouldn't this convert to 4x is greater than or equal to the price of the jacket, in compatibility with "exactly enough money"?
Need your guidance here.
Thank you
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TaN1213 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
skrishnakarthik wrote:

(2) x + y = $43.75

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Hello Bunuel,

Everything is fine with this question and its solution presented above, except for the part which reads- "it will take him 4 hours to earn exactly enough money to purchase a particular jacket".
Shouldn't this convert to 4x is greater than or equal to the price of the jacket, in compatibility with "exactly enough money"?
Need your guidance here.
Thank you

I'd translate "enough" as \(\geq\) but "EXACTLY enough" as \(=\).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
The posted problem is the virtually the same as the following:

mojorising800 wrote:
If Jim drives at x miles per hour, it takes him 4 hours to travel from A to B. If Tom drives as y miles per hour, it takes him 5 hours to travel from A to B. What is the number of miles between between A and B?

(1) Tom's driving rate is 20% less than Jim's

(2) x + y = 45

Distance from A to B = (Jim's rate)(Jim's time) = (x)(4) = 4x.
If we know the value of x, we can calculate the distance between A and B.
Question stem, rephrased:
What is the value of x?

Time and rate have a RECIPROCAL RELATIONSHIP.
Since the time ratio for Jim and Tom = 4:5, the rate ratio for Jim and Tom = 5:4.
Thus:
\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{5}{4}\)

Statement 1:
This information is given in the prompt:
\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{5}{4}\) --> \(\frac{y}{x} = \frac{4}{5}\) --> \(y = \frac{4}{5}x = y\) is 80% of x --> y is 20% less than x
Since Statement 1 offers no new information, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Since we have two variables (x and y) and two distinct linear equations (x/y = 5/4 and x+y=45), we can solve for the two variables.
SUFFICIENT.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
My doubt is that does saying 'enough' money to buy the jacket invariably say that they earned the exact amount as the jacket's cost? Could it also mean that since they are being paid per hour, after working for 4 and 5 hrs respectively, both could also earn a little more than the jacket's price? If we take this conclusion, then we cannot arrive at the exact price given the statements.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATGuruNY Bunuel KarishmaB IanStewart it says "enough" for Tom so how do we know that his pay = pay of the other person = jacket cost? Since it is enough it implies Tom's pay>=Jim's pay=jacket cost

For jim, it is clear since they mention 'exactly enough' hence his pay = jacket cost
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
GMATGuruNY Bunuel KarishmaB IanStewart it says "enough" for Tom so how do we know that his pay = pay of the other person = jacket cost? Since it is enough it implies Tom's pay>=Jim's pay=jacket cost

For jim, it is clear since they mention 'exactly enough' hence his pay = jacket cost

Meaning-wise, both are equivalent.
Jim ... it will take him 4 hours to earn exactly enough money to purchase a particular jacket.
Tom ...it will take him exactly 5 hours to earn enough money to purchase the same jacket.

Jim takes 4 hrs to earn exactly enough money to purchase. Tom takes exactly 5 hrs to earn enough money to purchase. So when less than 5 hrs have passed, he has not earned enough money. When exactly 5 hrs have passed, he has earned enough money which means that the money earned is the exact amount he needs.
Director
Director
Send PM
KarishmaB thanks although i do not quite see how we can confidently say that if he has worked for <5 hours, say 4.8 hours, then he has not earned enough. At exact 5 hours, he has definitely earned enough (100 rs) and jacket costs say 80 rs , but that doesnt rule out the case that at 4.9 hours he hasnt earned enough (99 rs). I have just taken random numbers to present my case although i know we d use proportionality rule to calculate this. Main point is that he could have earned enough even at <5 hours. We just dont know that and hence we dont know if he has earned exactly enough or not

KarishmaB wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

Jim ... it will take him 4 hours to earn exactly enough money to purchase a particular jacket.
Tom ...it will take him exactly 5 hours to earn enough money to purchase the same jacket.

Jim takes 4 hrs to earn exactly enough money to purchase. Tom takes exactly 5 hrs to earn enough money to purchase. So when less than 5 hrs have passed, he has not earned enough money. When exactly 5 hrs have passed, he has earned enough money which means that the money earned is the exact amount he needs.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
KarishmaB thanks although i do not quite see how we can confidently say that if he has worked for <5 hours, say 4.8 hours, then he has not earned enough. At exact 5 hours, he has definitely earned enough (100 rs) and jacket costs say 80 rs , but that doesnt rule out the case that at 4.9 hours he hasnt earned enough (99 rs). I have just taken random numbers to present my case although i know we d use proportionality rule to calculate this. Main point is that he could have earned enough even at <5 hours. We just dont know that and hence we dont know if he has earned exactly enough or not

KarishmaB wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

You are missing the "exactly" before "5 hrs".
If I say you will need exactly 10 mins to complete this work, does it mean you can do it in 9.9 mins too? No. I said you will need EXACTLY 10 mins.
So if we are given that he needs exactly 5 hrs to earn enough money, it means that he did not earn enough money in 4.99999 hrs.
Director
Director
Send PM
KarishmaB i get that but if we really think about it, your example says 'complete'. if i say i need exactly 10 mins to complete enough work, then it doesnt rule out the possibility that at 9.99 mins too i can complete enough work because lets say, the minimum time required in this case is 8 mins so any time >8 will also be enough

[quote="KarishmaB"][quote="Elite097"]KarishmaB thanks although i do not quite see how we can confidently say that if he has worked for <5 hours, say 4.8 hours, then he has not earned enough. At exact 5 hours, he has definitely earned enough (100 rs) and jacket costs say 80 rs , but that doesnt rule out the case that at 4.9 hours he hasnt earned enough (99 rs). I have just taken random numbers to present my case although i know we d use proportionality rule to calculate this. Main point is that he could have earned enough even at <5 hours. We just dont know that and hence we dont know if he has earned exactly enough or not
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts