Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [146]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [42]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [10]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Ok this is my take, take statement 1, t+m/2= p which means that t+m/2 equals an integer and the only way that is possible is when t+m are either both odd or both even since if they are odd and even that doesn't given an integer. Secondly, if t+m is either both odd or both even the result will be even hence p= even. But statement 1 insufficient because we dont know whether t+m are both odd or even.

There BCE
Now let's take statement 2

We have no information about p so insufficient.
Hence CE
Now both statements taken together
We still can't conclude that t and m are either odd or even since that will determine whether the product is even. So E.
Do let me know if my solution makes sense to people.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-13-2012
Send PM
Hey!

I need help with this one.

It's obvious that each statement alone is not sufficient, but I'm struggling with both statements together not sufficient.

From (1) we know that p=(t+m)/2
From (2) we know that t-m=16 -> following this info, you can say that either both t and m are even or both are odd.

Now putting it together, since t+m will be even and and saying that (t+m)/2 will be even, too, we can say that it will be even?!?!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
andih wrote:
Hey!

I need help with this one.

It's obvious that each statement alone is not sufficient, but I'm struggling with both statements together not sufficient.

From (1) we know that p=(t+m)/2
From (2) we know that t-m=16 -> following this info, you can say that either both t and m are even or both are odd.

Now putting it together, since t+m will be even and and saying that (t+m)/2 will be even, too, we can say that it will be even?!?!

Not sure understood your question correctly. Anyway, check the examples provided in this post: if-m-p-and-t-are-positive-integers-and-m-p-t-is-the-product-mpt-an-even-integer-126259.html#p729805 Hope they'll help to clear your doubts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Pkit wrote:
DS , Q. 76 page 313

If m, p, and t are positive integers and m < p < t, is the product mpt an even integer?
(1) t – p = p – m
(2) t – m = 16

My solution is:
(1) t+m=2p ->, \((t+m)/2=p\), p can not be odd since:
if t and m are even, then p is even , keep in mind that m < p < t, \(m<>t\)
if t and m are odd, p is even, keep in mind that m < p < t, \(m<>t\),[(5+11)/2=8, but (5+5)/2=5 odd,but m<>t]
if t is even and m is odd, then p can not be odd , since (even+odd)/2 must give us integer, so P could not be odd, thus it is even.

Then, if:
mt= even*even=even
mt= odd*odd=odd
mt=even*odd=even

Then we know that P must be even, so either of results m*t when multiplied by even number P give us Even product, so the product m*p*t= even
Sufficient.

(2) not sufficinet.

I choose A, however the OG12th's answer choice is
Am I wrong?

If m, p, and t are positive integers and m < p < t, is the product mpt an even integer?

For \(mpt\) to be even at least one should be even (as m, p, and t are integers).

(1) \(t-p=p-m\) --> \(\frac{t+m}{2}=p\) --> this algebraic expression means that \(p\) is halfway between \(t\) and \(m\) on the number line: \(----m-------p-------t----\)

So m, p, and t are evenly spaced. Does this imply that any integer must be even? Not necessarily. If \(p\) is odd and \(m\) and \(t\) are some even constant below and above it, then all three will be odd. So we can have an YES as well as a NO answer. For example:
If \(m=1\), \(p=3\), \(t=5\) the answer is NO;
If \(m=2\), \(p=4\), \(t=6\) the answer is YES.

Not sufficient.

(2) \(t-m=16\). Clearly not sufficient. No info about \(p\).

(1)+(2) Second statement says that the distance between \(m\) and \(t\) is 16, so as from (1) \(m\), \(p\), and \(t\) are evenly spaced, then the distance between \(m\) and \(p\) and the distance between\(p\) and \(t\) must 8. But again we can have two different answers:

\(m=0\), \(p=8\), \(t=16\) --> \(mpt=even\);
\(m=1\), \(p=9\), \(t=17\) --> \(mpt=odd\).

Two different answers. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel, great explanation but in my humble opinion I don't think you can take m=0 since it says that m p and t are positive integer
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Maxswe wrote:

Bunuel, great explanation but in my humble opinion I don't think you can take m=0 since it says that m p and t are positive integer

Correct, but it does not affect the answer. Consider:
\(m=2\), \(p=10\), \(t=18\) --> \(mpt=even\);
\(m=1\), \(p=9\), \(t=17\) --> \(mpt=odd\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone help me find where I'm wrong in solving the following Q:

Q: If m,p and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?
1. t-p=p-m
2. t-m= 16

O.A (E)

My interpretation:

Q: For "mpt" to be an even integer atleast one of the three numbers should be even. to find if any one of m,p or t is even.

1. t-p=p-m

so, t+m=2p
t+m/2 = p

if t+m is divisible by 2 and results in an integer 'p', then 'p' has to be a multiple of '2' which is even. hence 'mpt' should be even. SUFFICIENT

we are down to Options A or D.

2. t-m=16.

this only says the diff of t and m is even. so t and m are either both 'odd' or both 'even'. INSUFFICIENT.

So the correct Answer ( in my opinion) is A.

kindly advise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
imk wrote:
Hi,

Can someone help me find where I'm wrong in solving the following Q:

Q: If m,p and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?
1. t-p=p-m
2. t-m= 16

O.A (E)

My interpretation:

Q: For "mpt" to be an even integer atleast one of the three numbers should be even. to find if any one of m,p or t is even.

1. t-p=p-m

so, t+m=2p
t+m/2 = p

if t+m is divisible by 2 and results in an integer 'p', then 'p' has to be a multiple of '2' which is even. hence 'mpt' should be even. SUFFICIENT

we are down to Options A or D.

2. t-m=16.

this only says the diff of t and m is even. so t and m are either both 'odd' or both 'even'. INSUFFICIENT.

So the correct Answer ( in my opinion) is A.

kindly advise.

Hi. please post the OA inside the spoilers to give other a fair shot at the problem. Thanks.

you have said -> "if t+m is divisible by 2 and results in an integer 'p', then 'p' has to be a multiple of '2' which is even. hence 'mpt' should be even. SUFFICIENT"

P can or cannot be a multiple of 2, t+m is a multiple of 2.
Take t=3 m =3 then t+m = 6, which is multiple of 2, and p can be 3 so that t+m = 2 (p) = 3+3 = 2 * 3
tmp = odd
if we take t = m = 6 then tmp = Even
t+m = 2p then only 2 things we can deduct
both t and m are both odd or Even, as E+O would result in Odd,which cannot be a multiple of 2

HTH

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [2]
Given Kudos: 212
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
h2polo wrote:
If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?

(1) t - p = p - m
(2) t - m = 16

1) t-m = 2p
or t-m = even
so, t,m = (even,even) or (odd,odd)
and p can be even or odd
so A alone is not sufficient.

2) t-m = 16
t,m = (17,1) or (18,2) ....
again the same condition and p is unknown.
so B alone is also insufficient.

(1)+(2)
t+m = 2p
t-m = 16
solving; t-p = 8
t,p = (100,92) or (101,93) ...
when (t,p) = (100,92) then m = even and m*t*p = even
when (t,p) = (101,93) then m = odd and m*t*p = odd
hence (1)+(2) also is insufficient.

Therefore, answer is E.

------------------
+1 if you liked my solution. Tx. :)