Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 16

If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 07:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:28) correct 48% (01:03) wrong based on 102 sessions
If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?

(1) t - p = p - m
(2) t - m = 16
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 04:20
michigancat wrote:
For statement 1, you could have m, p, and t be 3, 5, and 7 respectively, in addition to 2, 3, and 4. So mpt can be odd or even. Insufficient.

Ooops you are wrong a bit cause from (2) t – m = 16, - > m=t-16 , and not as you stated m=16-t

clear, I am wrong as for (1).

:evil:

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by PTK on 26 May 2010, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28760 [5] , given: 2846

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Pkit wrote:
DS , Q. 76 page 313

If m, p, and t are positive integers and m < p < t, is the product mpt an even integer?
(1) t – p = p – m
(2) t – m = 16

My solution is:
(1) t+m=2p ->, (t+m)/2=p, p can not be odd since:
if t and m are even, then p is even , keep in mind that m < p < t, m<>t
if t and m are odd, p is even, keep in mind that m < p < t, m<>t,[(5+11)/2=8, but (5+5)/2=5 odd,but m<>t]
if t is even and m is odd, then p can not be odd , since (even+odd)/2 must give us integer, so P could not be odd, thus it is even.

Then, if:
mt= even*even=even
mt= odd*odd=odd
mt=even*odd=even

Then we know that P must be even, so either of results m*t when multiplied by even number P give us Even product, so the product m*p*t= even
Sufficient.

(2) not sufficinet.

I choose A, however the OG12th's answer choice is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Am I wrong?

If m, p, and t are positive integers and m < p < t, is the product mpt an even integer?

For mpt to be even at least one should be even (as m, p, and t are integers).

(1) t-p=p-m --> \frac{t+m}{2}=p --> this algebraic expression means that p is halfway between t and m on the number line: ----m-------p-------t----

So m, p, and t are evenly spaced. Does this imply that any integer must be even? Not necessarily. If p is odd and m and t are some even constant below and above it, then all three will be odd. So we can have an YES as well as a NO answer. For example:
If m=1, p=3, t=5 the answer is NO;
If m=2, p=4, t=6 the answer is YES.

Not sufficient.

(2) t-m=16. Clearly not sufficient. No info about p.

(1)+(2) Second statement says that the distance between m and t is 16, so as from (1) m, p, and t are evenly spaced, then the distance between m and p and the distance betweenp and t must 8. But again we can have two different answers:

m=0, p=8, t=16 --> mpt=even;
m=1, p=9, t=17 --> mpt=odd.

Two different answers. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 04:35
Bunuel wrote:
Pkit wrote:
DS , Q. 76 page 313

Hope it's clear.

Thank you Bunuel, now it is clear for me.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 02:22
Really good question..

petrifiedbutstanding

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.37
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 08:18
I thought the same thing, I'm glad this post is still around.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [0], given: 165

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 02:21
Expert's post
Yes, number properties theory is simple but its application can get really tricky. The worst thing is that you don't even realize that there was a trick in the question and that you have messed up! You might very confidently mark A here and move on! This is a perfect example of trickery of number properties on GMAT.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 05:29
Ok this is my take, take statement 1, t+m/2= p which means that t+m/2 equals an integer and the only way that is possible is when t+m are either both odd or both even since if they are odd and even that doesn't given an integer. Secondly, if t+m is either both odd or both even the result will be even hence p= even. But statement 1 insufficient because we dont know whether t+m are both odd or even.

There BCE
Now let's take statement 2

We have no information about p so insufficient.
Hence CE
Now both statements taken together
We still can't conclude that t and m are either odd or even since that will determine whether the product is even. So E.
Do let me know if my solution makes sense to people.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-13-2012

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 08:35
Hey!

I need help with this one.

It's obvious that each statement alone is not sufficient, but I'm struggling with both statements together not sufficient.

From (1) we know that p=(t+m)/2
From (2) we know that t-m=16 -> following this info, you can say that either both t and m are even or both are odd.

Now putting it together, since t+m will be even and and saying that (t+m)/2 will be even, too, we can say that it will be even?!?!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28760 [1] , given: 2846

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
andih wrote:
Hey!

It's obvious that each statement alone is not sufficient, but I'm struggling with both statements together not sufficient.

From (2) we know that t-m=16 -> following this info, you can say that either both t and m are even or both are odd.

Now putting it together, since t+m will be even and and saying that (t+m)/2 will be even, too, we can say that it will be even?!?!

Not sure understood your question correctly. Anyway, check the examples provided in this post: if-m-p-and-t-are-positive-integers-and-m-p-t-is-the-product-mpt-an-even-integer-126259.html#p729805 Hope they'll help to clear your doubts.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [1] , given: 165

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
andih wrote:
Hey!

We need to find whether at least one of m, p and t is even.

S1: p = (t+m)/2 tells us that (t+m) is even since p has to be integer. So all we know is that t and m are both either odd or both even (since their sum is even). It doesn't say anything about p i.e. whether p is even or odd. p could be odd e.g. (4+2)/2 = 3 or (5+1)/2 = 3 or it could be even e.g. (8+4)/2 = 6 or (7+5)/2 = 6 etc.

S2: t - m = 16 tells us that t and m are either both odd or both even (because the difference between them is even).We again don't know whether they are even. e.g. 18 - 2 = 16 or 17 - 1 = 16. We also don't know whether p is even.

Using both statements, 2p = t+m, 16 = t - m. Add them to get p+8 = t. If t is odd, p is also odd. If t is even, p is also even. So basically, all 3 variables are either odd or all three are even. But we do not know whether they are even. Hence not sufficient.
Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 06:27
Bunuel wrote:
Pkit wrote:
DS , Q. 76 page 313

(1) t – p = p – m
(2) t – m = 16

My solution is:
if t and m are odd, p is even, keep in mind that m < p < t, m<>t,[(5+11)/2=8, but (5+5)/2=5 odd,but m<>t]
if t is even and m is odd, then p can not be odd , since (even+odd)/2 must give us integer, so P could not be odd, thus it is even.

Then, if:
mt= even*even=even
mt= odd*odd=odd
mt=even*odd=even

Then we know that P must be even, so either of results m*t when multiplied by even number P give us Even product, so the product m*p*t= even
Sufficient.

(2) not sufficinet.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Am I wrong?

(1) t-p=p-m --> \frac{t+m}{2}=p --> this algebraic expression means that p is halfway between t and m on the number line: ----m-------p-------t----

So m, p, and t are evenly spaced. Does this imply that any integer must be even? Not necessarily. If p is odd and m and t are some even constant below and above it, then all three will be odd. So we can have an YES as well as a NO answer. For example:

Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Second statement says that the distance between m and t is 16, so as from (1) m, p, and t are evenly spaced, then the distance between m and p and the distance betweenp and t must 8. But again we can have two different answers:

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel, great explanation but in my humble opinion I don't think you can take m=0 since it says that m p and t are positive integer
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28760 [1] , given: 2846

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Maxswe wrote:

Bunuel, great explanation but in my humble opinion I don't think you can take m=0 since it says that m p and t are positive integer

Correct, but it does not affect the answer. Consider:
m=2, p=10, t=18 --> mpt=even;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 23:48
Hi,

Can someone help me find where I'm wrong in solving the following Q:

Q: If m,p and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?
1. t-p=p-m
2. t-m= 16

O.A (E)

My interpretation:

Q: For "mpt" to be an even integer atleast one of the three numbers should be even. to find if any one of m,p or t is even.

1. t-p=p-m

so, t+m=2p
t+m/2 = p

if t+m is divisible by 2 and results in an integer 'p', then 'p' has to be a multiple of '2' which is even. hence 'mpt' should be even. SUFFICIENT

we are down to Options A or D.

2. t-m=16.

this only says the diff of t and m is even. so t and m are either both 'odd' or both 'even'. INSUFFICIENT.

So the correct Answer ( in my opinion) is A.

kindly advise.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 32

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
imk wrote:
Hi,

Can someone help me find where I'm wrong in solving the following Q:

Q: If m,p and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?
1. t-p=p-m
2. t-m= 16

O.A (E)

My interpretation:

Q: For "mpt" to be an even integer atleast one of the three numbers should be even. to find if any one of m,p or t is even.

1. t-p=p-m

so, t+m=2p
t+m/2 = p

if t+m is divisible by 2 and results in an integer 'p', then 'p' has to be a multiple of '2' which is even. hence 'mpt' should be even. SUFFICIENT

we are down to Options A or D.

2. t-m=16.

this only says the diff of t and m is even. so t and m are either both 'odd' or both 'even'. INSUFFICIENT.

So the correct Answer ( in my opinion) is A.

kindly advise.

Hi. please post the OA inside the spoilers to give other a fair shot at the problem. Thanks.

you have said -> "if t+m is divisible by 2 and results in an integer 'p', then 'p' has to be a multiple of '2' which is even. hence 'mpt' should be even. SUFFICIENT"

P can or cannot be a multiple of 2, t+m is a multiple of 2.
Take t=3 m =3 then t+m = 6, which is multiple of 2, and p can be 3 so that t+m = 2 (p) = 3+3 = 2 * 3
tmp = odd
if we take t = m = 6 then tmp = Even
t+m = 2p then only 2 things we can deduct
both t and m are both odd or Even, as E+O would result in Odd,which cannot be a multiple of 2

HTH

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 00:41
Thank you. How silly of me to miss that point. I was thinking of the odd numerator and totally wiped out the possibility that even/even can be an odd integer. btw point noted. this is my first post. Sorry that I gave the answer away.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 01:00
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 00:23
f m, p, and t are positive integers and m < p < t, is the product mpt an even integer?

Not sufficient.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 55

Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 05:14
h2polo wrote:
If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the product mpt an even integer?

(1) t - p = p - m
(2) t - m = 16

1) t-m = 2p
or t-m = even
so, t,m = (even,even) or (odd,odd)
and p can be even or odd
so A alone is not sufficient.

2) t-m = 16
t,m = (17,1) or (18,2) ....
again the same condition and p is unknown.
so B alone is also insufficient.

(1)+(2)
t+m = 2p
t-m = 16
solving; t-p = 8
t,p = (100,92) or (101,93) ...
when (t,p) = (100,92) then m = even and m*t*p = even
when (t,p) = (101,93) then m = odd and m*t*p = odd
hence (1)+(2) also is insufficient.

Therefore, answer is E.

------------------
+1 if you liked my solution. Tx. :)

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2014, 22:58
Bunuel wrote:
Pkit wrote:
DS , Q. 76 page 313

(1) t – p = p – m
(2) t – m = 16

My solution is:

Then, if:
mt= even*even=even
mt= odd*odd=odd
mt=even*odd=even

Sufficient.

(2) not sufficinet.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Am I wrong?

Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunuel,

In above example why you are considering m=0? as in question stem it is said that m,p, and t are positive integers. So How m can be 0

Please clarify

Thanks.
Re: If m, p, and t are positive integers and m<p<t, is the   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2014, 22:58