Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 90 [5] , given: 136

If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (02:17) correct 48% (01:16) wrong based on 193 sessions
If m, p, s and v are positive, and \frac{m}{p} <\frac{s}{v}, which of the following must be between \frac{m}{p} and \frac{s}{v}

I. \frac{m+s}{p+v}
II. \frac{ms}{pv}
III. \frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p}

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Sep 2013, 06:36, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and moved to PS forum.
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 532 [8] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
If m, p, s and v are positive, and \frac{m}{p} <\frac{s}{v}, which of the following must be between \frac{m}{p} and \frac{s}{v}

I. \frac{m+s}{p+v}
II. \frac{ms}{pv}

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both

Given that \frac{m}{p}<\frac{s}{v} \to \frac{m}{s}<\frac{p}{v}Adding 1 on both sides we have \frac{m+s}{s}<\frac{p+v}{v} \to \frac{m+s}{p+v}<\frac{s}{v}

Again,\frac{m}{p}<\frac{s}{v} \to \frac{v}{p}<\frac{s}{m} Adding 1 on both sides, we have \frac{v+p}{p}<\frac{s+m}{m} \to \frac{m}{p}<\frac{s+m}{v+p} . Thus, I is always true. We just have to check for Option II now.

Assming it to be true, we should have\frac{ms}{pv}<\frac{s}{v} \to \frac{m}{p}<1 Which is not always true. Thus the answer is B.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 10:47
How can I solve this using numbers?

Kudos if I helped :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 00:37
igotthis wrote:

You can take numbers such 1,2,3 and 4 as m,p,s and v
find the value between m/p and s/v
try to enter the numbers in the answer choices.
only option B will satisfy .

Thanks
Rahul
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1028

Kudos [?]: 4449 [8] , given: 162

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:

I. \frac{m+s}{p+v}
II. \frac{ms}{pv}

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both

Responding to a pm:

You can work on this question using some number line and averaging concepts.
Let's look at statement II and III first since they are very easy.

We know \frac{m}{p} <\frac{s}{v}

On the number line: .............0....................m/p ........................s/v (since m, p, s and v are all positive so m/p and s/v are to the right of 0)

II. \frac{ms}{pv}
Think of the case when m/p and s/v are both less than 1. When you multiply them, they will become even smaller. Say .2*.3 = .06. So the product may not lie between them.

Think of a case such as this: .............0..............................m/p .......s/v
\frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p} will be much smaller than both m/p and s/v and will lie somewhere here:
.............0.......Here...........................m/p .......s/v
So it needn't be between them.

Now only issue is (I). You can check some numbers for it including fractions and non fractions. Or try to understand it using number line.
Think of 4 numbers as N1, N2, D1, D2 for ease and given fractions as N1/D1 and N2/D2.

\frac{m+s}{p+v} = \frac{m+s/2}{p+v/2} = (Avg of N1 and N2)/(Avg of D1 and D2)

Now numerator of avg will lie between N1 and N2 and denominator of avg will lie between D1 and D2. So Avg N/Avg D will lie between N1/D1 and N2/D2. Try to think this through.

If N1/D1 < N2/D2, it could be because N1 < N2 and D1 = D2. So AvgN will lie between N1 and N2 and AvgD = D1 = D2. It could also be because N1 < N2 and D1 > D2. AvgN will be larger than N1 but smaller than N2. AvgD will be smaller than D1 but greater than D2 so AvgN/AvgD will be greater than N1/D1 but smaller than N2/D2. It could also be because N1 << N2 and D1 < D2 i.e. N1 is much smaller than N2 as compared to D1 to D2.
It could be because N1=N2 but D1>D2. Again, AvgD will lie between D1 and D2 and AvgN = N1 = N2.
It could also be because N1 > N2 but D1 >> D2.
Take some numbers to understand why this makes sense.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 00:08
rahultripathi2005 wrote:
igotthis wrote:

You can take numbers such 1,2,3 and 4 as m,p,s and v
find the value between m/p and s/v
try to enter the numbers in the answer choices.
only option B will satisfy .

Thanks
Rahul

Hi,

I make the plug in as follows but it does not work: 1/2 < 3/4

1. (1+3)/(2+4) = 4/6 = 2/3 so in between
2. (1*3)/(2*4) = 3/8 less than 1/2
3. (3-1)/(4-2) = 1 > 3/4

So this problem cannot solve by using plugin?? Please help to correct me if I went wrong.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1028

Kudos [?]: 4449 [0], given: 162

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 19:56
Expert's post
Cee0612 wrote:

I make the plug in as follows but it does not work: 1/2 < 3/4

1. (1+3)/(2+4) = 4/6 = 2/3 so in between
2. (1*3)/(2*4) = 3/8 less than 1/2
3. (3-1)/(4-2) = 1 > 3/4

So this problem cannot solve by using plugin?? Please help to correct me if I went wrong.

Thanks!

Statement 3 is (s/v) - (m/p)
When you take values as 1, 2, 3 and 4, it becomes (3/4) - (1/2) = 1/4 (This is not between 1/2 and 3/4 and hence you know that statement 3 may not hold always)

Plugging in numbers is not the best strategy for 'must be true' questions. You know that statement 1 holds for these particular values of m , p, s and v (1, 2, 3 and 4) but how do you know that it will be true for every set of valid values of m, p, s and v? You cannot try every set. You can certainly ignore statements II and III since you have already got values for which they are not satisfied. But you must focus more on statement I and try to figure out using logic whether it must always hold.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 12:00
This is one of those very few problems were picking numbers is almost your only weapon

Let's say that m/p<s/v,

Let's say m=4, p=2, s=3 and v=1

So let's begin with statements

I. 4+3/3=7/3=2.3 is it between 2<x<3?

Yes, so this one is true

2. Clearly not true
3. Clearly not true

Therefore only I is our best answer choice

Hope this helps
Cheers
J
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 18:03
imhimanshu wrote:

I. \frac{m+s}{p+v}
II. \frac{ms}{pv}

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both

for these kind of problems, I feel it is better to keep as close as possible so that we can be confident with every option

I chose 3,4,4,5 so that 3/4<4/5 (i.e. 0.75<0.8)

I=> (3+4)/(4+5) = 7/9 = 0.77 satisfies
II=>12/20=>3/5=0.6 incorrect
III=>4/5 - 3/4 = 0.8 - 0.75= 0.05

only I is correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 05:28
which of the following 'must be' between m/p and s/v?

I didn't understand the question. What does the question mean here by 'must be'?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22200 [0], given: 2601

Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 06:16
Expert's post
siriusblack1106 wrote:

I didn't understand the question. What does the question mean here by 'must be'?

"Must be" means for any (possible) values of m, p, s and v. So, \frac{m}{p}< (option) <\frac{s}{v}, must hold true fo any positive values of m, p, s and v.

Must or Could be True Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the fol [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 09:45
Bunuel wrote:
siriusblack1106 wrote:

"Must be" means for any (possible) values of m, p, s and v. So, \frac{m}{p}< (option) <\frac{s}{v}, must hold true fo any positive values of m, p, s and v.

Must or Could be True Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193

Hope it helps.

Bunuel can you please explain why option 1 must be true? I dont get it. Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

m, p, s, and v are positive and m/p < s/v [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 09:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If m, p, s, and v are positive and \frac{m}{p} < \frac{s}{v}, which of the following must be between \frac{m}{p} and \frac{s}{v}?

1 - \frac{m+s}{p+v}

2 - \frac{ms}{pv}

3 - \frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p}

A - None
B - 1 only
C - 2 only
D - 3 only
E - 1 & 2

Last edited by dxx on 17 May 2014, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

Re: m, p, s, and v are positive and m/p < s/v [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 09:52
I couldn't get my head around this one, so I used numbers:

\frac{m}{p} = \frac{1}{2} and \frac{s}{v} = \frac{3}{4}

This fulfils the condition that \frac{m}{p} < \frac{s}{v}

Now,

\frac{m+s}{p+v} is \frac{1+3}{2+4} =\frac{4}{6} =\frac{2}{3}, so sufficient as it is between \frac{1}{2} and \frac{3}{4}.

\frac{ms}{pv} is \frac{1*3}{2*4} = \frac{3}{8}, which is less than \frac{1}{2}, so not sufficient

\frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p} is \frac{3}{4}-\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{4}, which is less than \frac{1}{2}, so not sufficient

Answer is B (1 only).

Is this approach suitable for such questions? Both in terms of accuracy and time: is this valid solution valid for all fractions and is there a faster way to solve this?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: m, p, s, and v are positive and m/p < s/v [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 23:52
Expert's post
dhirajx wrote:
If m, p, s, and v are positive and \frac{m}{p} < \frac{s}{v}, which of the following must be between \frac{m}{p} and \frac{s}{v}?

1 - \frac{m+s}{p+v}

2 - \frac{ms}{pv}

3 - \frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p}

A - None
B - 1 only
C - 2 only
D - 3 only
E - 1 & 2

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the discussion above.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: m, p, s, and v are positive and m/p < s/v [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 23:53
Expert's post
dhirajx wrote:
I couldn't get my head around this one, so I used numbers:

\frac{m}{p} = \frac{1}{2} and \frac{s}{v} = \frac{3}{4}

This fulfils the condition that \frac{m}{p} < \frac{s}{v}

Now,

\frac{m+s}{p+v} is \frac{1+3}{2+4} =\frac{4}{6} =\frac{2}{3}, so sufficient as it is between \frac{1}{2} and \frac{3}{4}.

\frac{ms}{pv} is \frac{1*3}{2*4} = \frac{3}{8}, which is less than \frac{1}{2}, so not sufficient

\frac{s}{v} - \frac{m}{p} is \frac{3}{4}-\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{4}, which is less than \frac{1}{2}, so not sufficient

Answer is B (1 only).

Is this approach suitable for such questions? Both in terms of accuracy and time: is this valid solution valid for all fractions and is there a faster way to solve this?

Check here: if-m-p-s-and-v-are-positive-and-m-p-s-v-which-of-the-fol-160298.html#p1294731

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: m, p, s, and v are positive and m/p < s/v   [#permalink] 17 May 2014, 23:53