Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2015, 23:57
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 123
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 43

If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 22:46
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:29) correct 64% (02:11) wrong based on 113 sessions
If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annually, the amount of the investment will double in approximately 50/r years. If Luke's parents invested $12,500 in a long term bond that pays 12 percent interest compounded annually, what will be the approximate total amount of the investment 12 years later, when Luke is ready for college?

A) 62,000
B) 85,500
C) 95,500
D) 100,500
E) 100,000

Don't be rude people, leave your kudo's here!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1227
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 88

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: If money is invested at "r" percent interest, compounded.... [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 23:05
Can you provide the source of the question?.. I believe the answers are clustered together too closely to make viable options for an approximation question.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 28731
Followers: 4577

Kudos [?]: 47204 [1] , given: 7108

Re: If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 23:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
laythesmack23 wrote:
If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annually, the amount of the investment will double in approximately 50/r years. If Luke's parents invested $12,500 in a long term bond that pays 12 percent interest compounded annually, what will be the approximate total amount of the investment 12 years later, when Luke is ready for college?

A) 62,000
B) 85,500
C) 95,500
D) 100,500
E) 100,000

Don't be rude people, leave your kudo's here!


Proper version of this question is from from Official Guide:
If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annually, the amount of investment will double in approximately 70/r years. If Pat's parents invested $ 5000 in a long term bond that pays 8 percent interest, compounded annually, what will be the approximate total amount of investment 18 years later, when Pat is ready for college?

A. $20000
B. $15000
C. $12000
D. $10000
E. $9000

Since investment doubles in 70/r years then for r=8 it'll double in 70/8=~9 years (we are not asked about the exact amount so such an approximation will do). Thus in 18 years investment will double twice and become ($5,000*2)*2=$20,000 (after 9 years investment will become $5,000*2=$10,000 and in another 9 years it'll become $10,000*2=$20,000).

Answer: A.

Discussed here: if-money-is-invested-at-r-percent-interest-compounded-annual-104225.html
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 123
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 43

Re: If money is invested at "r" percent interest, compounded.... [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 15:06
MacFauz wrote:
Can you provide the source of the question?.. I believe the answers are clustered together too closely to make viable options for an approximation question.


OG guide, please see original question that Banuel listed above.

I simply changed the #'s around, and changed the answer's to fit my revised question.

Laythesmack23
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1227
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 88

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: If money is invested at "r" percent interest, compounded.... [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 22:22
laythesmack23 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Can you provide the source of the question?.. I believe the answers are clustered together too closely to make viable options for an approximation question.


OG guide, please see original question that Banuel listed above.

I simply changed the #'s around, and changed the answer's to fit my revised question.

Laythesmack23


Understood.. Although the 70/N part should not be changed because then, the interest rate would not be in line with a compound interest... Otherwise the question is fine... I believe the answer choices should be more widely spread apart.. Using the formula for compound interest "C" will actually be closest value to the actual answer...
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 178
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 18:29
Answer equals E in 48 years. I thought by 50th year it would reach 100,500. Options should have been separated more widely for clarity.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5739
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1444

Kudos [?]: 7574 [0], given: 186

Re: If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 19:17
Expert's post
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
Answer equals E in 48 years. I thought by 50th year it would reach 100,500. Options should have been separated more widely for clarity.


This question is not correct since with compound interest, amount doubles every 70/n years (good to remember this - comes in handy sometimes). This cannot be changed to 50/n. The actual OG question has 70/n - they give it because they don't expect you to know it. There are no problems with the OG question given by Bunuel in the post above. Try that out instead.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 178
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 19:49
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
Answer equals E in 48 years. I thought by 50th year it would reach 100,500. Options should have been separated more widely for clarity.


This question is not correct since with compound interest, amount doubles every 70/n years (good to remember this - comes in handy sometimes). This cannot be changed to 50/n. The actual OG question has 70/n - they give it because they don't expect you to know it. There are no problems with the OG question given by Bunuel in the post above. Try that out instead.


Karishma,

I totally understand what you said. Thanks for clarification. But since the question bent the formula to 50/n, I started treating it like an exponential growth and decay question.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5739
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1444

Kudos [?]: 7574 [1] , given: 186

Re: If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 21:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
Answer equals E in 48 years. I thought by 50th year it would reach 100,500. Options should have been separated more widely for clarity.


This question is not correct since with compound interest, amount doubles every 70/n years (good to remember this - comes in handy sometimes). This cannot be changed to 50/n. The actual OG question has 70/n - they give it because they don't expect you to know it. There are no problems with the OG question given by Bunuel in the post above. Try that out instead.


Karishma,

I totally understand what you said. Thanks for clarification. But since the question bent the formula to 50/n, I started treating it like an exponential growth and decay question.


Yes, but the question still mentions that the interest is 'compounded'. Let that raise a red flag in future!
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 178
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 21:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Yes, but the question still mentions that the interest is 'compounded'. Let that raise a red flag in future!


Will keep that in mind and add it to my error log. Thank you so much. : )
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2014
Posts: 28
Location: Hungary
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 4
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2015, 13:03
Dividing 70/8 yields 8.75 years. So, in 8.75 years 5,000 would become 10,000. In another 8.75 years the amount would become 20,000.

Since by now 17.5 is almost equal to 18, the answer is A: 20,000.
_________________

GMATPrep 1: 410 Q26 V20 (20 and 19 incorrect)
GMATPrep 2: 620 Q44 V32 (12 and 14 incorrect)
GMATPrep 3: 690 Q48 V37 (12 and 12 incorrect)

Most important lessons learned so far:
1) Your first prep is NOT indicative of your true level.
2) First 10 questions ARE important (notice that between preps 2 and 3 I had only 2 less incorrect questions on Quant, but a 70 point total score difference)

If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2015, 13:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 An investment compounds annually at an interest rate of 34.1 fozzzy 5 22 Jun 2013, 21:45
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic A bank offers an interest of 5% per annum compounded annua emmak 14 11 Jun 2013, 02:58
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua Walkabout 6 17 Dec 2012, 05:46
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic If money is invested at r percent interest compounded annual vanidhar 14 04 Nov 2010, 03:53
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic The interest compounded annually on a certain sum of money is $41.60 a gmatt14 15 23 Apr 2010, 08:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If money is invested at r percent interest, compounded annua

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.