Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: is y a perfect square? [#permalink]
anordinaryguy wrote:
=> Sufficient to determine, Y would not have 'even number of factors' and that means it can't a perfect square.

Can you explain that a bit more?

Edit: Found an answer myself: mathforum. org/library/drmath/view/72126.html
Such specific information...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
anordinaryguy wrote:
WishMasterUA wrote:
if n and y are positive integers and n represents the number of different positive factors of y, is y a perfect square?

1) square(n) is odd number

2) y=square(5^(2(n-1))

I think 'square' means 'square-root'. Considering it true, my explanation

\sqrt{n} is an odd number => n would also be an odd number
=> Sufficient to determine, Y would not have 'even number of factors' and that means it can't a perfect square.

y = \sqrt{5^(2(n-1))} => y= 5^(n-1) => if n is odd than (n-1) would be a perfect square but if n is even, y would not be perfect answer.
=> NOT Sufficient

So answer is A

For (1) my understanding is different. A perfect square must have event exponents on it's prime factorization, but an odd number of factors. So like you said, root n is odd, meaning Y has an odd number of factors. If a number has an odd number of factors it is a perfect square.

e.g.

1X4
2X2

3 factors

1x64
2x32
4x16
8x8

7 factors

The perfect square always has odd factors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
if a number equals = (p1^k)* (p2^l)*(P3^m)....
total no of factors= (k+1)*(l+1)*(m+1)....

If Sqrtroot of n is add => n is also odd.
here n= (k+1)*(l+1)*(m+1)....

now for n to be odd each of k, l,m should be even which implies that y is a perfect square.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
in the above post, p1, p2, p3 are prime factors.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: If n and y are positive integers and n represents the number [#permalink]
WishMasterUA wrote:
If n and y are positive integers and n represents the number of different positive factors of y, is y a perfect square?

(1) \(\sqrt{n}\) is odd number

(2) \(y=\sqrt{5^{2(n-1)}}\)

Official solution from Veritas Prep.

Correct Answer: A

This difficult question depends on an understanding of the properties of factors of a perfect square. The only way that a number can have an odd number of different total factors is if that number is a perfect square. Consider three numbers that are perfect squares, all of which have an odd number of total factors: 1, 9, and 16. The number 1 has only one unique factor (1); the number 9 has exactly three different factors (1, 3, 9); and 16 has five total factors (1, 16, 2, 8, 4). Statement (1) proves that n must be an odd integer so the information is sufficient to prove that y has an odd number of total unique factors and thus must be a perfect square. Statement (2) is more difficult to assess and requires that several different possible values of n be considered. For instance if n = 1 then y would be equal to 1 and it would indeed be a perfect square. However, if n = 2 then y would be equal to 5 which is not a perfect square. From those two values of n, it is clear that statement (2) is not sufficient and the correct answer is A, statement 1 alone is sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
If n and y are positive integers and n represents the number [#permalink]
Statement 1 says square root of n is odd -> n is also odd and we know that total number of factors of any number can be derived using (n+1)(m+1)... where n & m are the power of any prime factors of a number. (Example: 108 = 2^2*3^3, so the total number of factors is (2+1)*(3+1) = 3*4 = 12 ) Hence, for perfect number such as 4, 9, total number of factors will always be an odd, unlike non perfect numbers, since (even + 1 = odd) -> (2+1 = 3, 6+1 =7). Hence, since statement 1 clearly says y has an odd number of factors, y is definitely a perfect square. Sufficient!

With Statement 2, we can easily put values of n as 1, 2 & 3 and then we can easily derive that with n=2, y is 5 which is not a perfect square and with n=3, y=25 -> clearly a perfect square. Hence, Not sufficient!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts