Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 13:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:54) correct 26% (01:05) wrong based on 252 sessions
If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following must be divisible by 3?

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

--gregspirited

Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Mar 2012, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 346

Kudos [?]: 1657 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 14:08
Expert's post
A.

All three numbers in product should have different reminders. Only A satisfies this requirement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 14:22
question testing multiples of 3.

plug in 7 and 8 as test values.

A. n (n+1) (n-4) = 7*8*3 and if n = 8 --> 8*9*4
B. n (n+2) (n-1) = 7*9*6 and if n = 8 --> 8*10*7
C. n (n+3) (n-5) = 7*10*5; eliminate as there are no multiples of 3
D. n (n+4) (n-2) = 7*11*5; eliminate as there are no multiples of 3
E. n (n+5) (n-6) = 7*12*1 and and if n = 8 --> 8*13*2

only A works.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Integer N greater than 6 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 14:29
gregspirited wrote:
If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following must be divisible by 3?
A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

anything in the form of (n-1) (n) (n+1) is divvisible by 3. in other word, a product of any 3 consecutie intevers is divisible by 3.

A. n (n+1) (n-4) = n (n+1) ((n-1)-3) is equivalant to (n-1) (n) (n+1)
B. n (n+2) (n-1) is equivalant to (n+1) missing.
C. n (n+3) (n-5) is equivalant to (n-1) missing and n repeating.
D. n (n+4) (n-2) is equivalant to odd/even consqcutive integers
E. n (n+5) (n-6) is equivalant to (n+1) missing and n repeating.

So A is good.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 20:04
IMO A.

I used an arbitrary number greater than 6 and then filled each equation out. if you happen to have chosen a number that makes more than 1 answer correct, choose a different number and check the ones that were previously correct.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3185

Kudos [?]: 21162 [6] , given: 2534

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

Since 3 is a prime number then in order the product to be divisible by 3 either of the multiples must be divisible by 3. Now, to guarantee that at least one multiple is divisible by 3, these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3, meaning that one of them should have the remainder of 1, another the reminder of 2 and the third one the remainder of 0, so be divisible by 3.

For option A: n and n+1 have different remainder upon division by 3. As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1, so also different than the remainders of the previous two numbers.

Answer: A.

Similar question to practice: if-x-is-an-integer-then-x-x-1-x-k-must-be-evenly-divisible-126853.html

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 09:30
Bunuel wrote:
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

Since 3 is a prime number then in order the product to be divisible by 3 either of the multiples must be divisible by 3. Now, to guarantee that at least one multiple is divisible by 3, these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3, meaning that one of them should have the remainder of 1, another the reminder of 2 and the third one the remainder of 0, so be divisible by 3.

For option A: n and n+1 have different remainder upon division by 3. As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1, so also different than the remainders of the previous two numbers.

Similar question to practice: if-x-is-an-integer-then-x-x-1-x-k-must-be-evenly-divisible-126853.html

Hope it helps.

I liked the approach - Bookmaking it.

Thank you Bunuel...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 26

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 16:12
Bunuel wrote:
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

Hope it helps.

Bunuel, could you please explain how you arrive at the conclusion that "As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1"? Also, is it implied that n will have a remainder of either 0 or 1, n+1 will have either 1 or 2? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 20:55
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

I went by the substitution method

since n > 6

i took 7 and A,B and E were satisfied

i took 8 and only A was satsified, hence the answer is A

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Integer N greater than 6 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 20:56
GMAT TIGER wrote:

So A is good.

Hi Bunuel,
Why is n (n+1) (n-4) = n (n+1) ((n-1)-3) is equivalant to (n-1) (n) (n+1)?

Also, you said..
Now, to guarantee that at least one multiple is divisible by 3, these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3, meaning that one of them should have the remainder of 1, another the reminder of 2 and the third one the remainder of 0, so be divisible by 3.

For option A: n and n+1 have different remainder upon division by 3. As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1

Could you please elaborate the 2 statements above?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 23

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 02:20
Hi Bunuel,

Can you explain why the remainder should be different upon division by 3? I atill dint understood uproach

Posted from my mobile device Image

Thriving for CHANGE

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 21162 [3] , given: 2534

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 03:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Aristocrat wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Can you explain why the remainder should be different upon division by 3? I atill dint understood uproach

Posted from my mobile device Image

An integer divided by 3 can have 3 possible remainders: 0, 1, or 2.

Now, consider the product of three numbers a*b*c. If we are told that a, b, and c have different reminders upon division by three, this would mean that one of the numbers yields the remainder of zero, thus it's a multiple of 3. Thus abc is a multiple of 3.

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: PS - Integer N greater than 6 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 16:24
Sachin9 wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

So A is good.

Hi Bunuel,
Why is n (n+1) (n-4) = n (n+1) ((n-1)-3) is equivalant to (n-1) (n) (n+1)?

For option A: n and n+1 have different remainder upon division by 3. As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1[/i]

i also dont understand this part, could you elaborate why ((n-1)-3) is equivalant to (n-1) (n) (n+1)?

is it because the extra 3 remaining means it has zero remainder?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 76

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 12:27
I actually hit the answer by mistake before i got it. but i found this one easy
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: PS - Integer N greater than 6 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 06:28
GMAT TIGER wrote:
gregspirited wrote:
A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

anything in the form of (n-1) (n) (n+1) is divvisible by 3. in other word, a product of any 3 consecutie intevers is divisible by 3.

B. n (n+2) (n-1) is equivalant to (n+1) missing.
C. n (n+3) (n-5) is equivalant to (n-1) missing and n repeating.
D. n (n+4) (n-2) is equivalant to odd/even consqcutive integers
E. n (n+5) (n-6) is equivalant to (n+1) missing and n repeating.

So A is good.

I think your solution for option A is incorrect. When you write an expression like this n (n+1) ((n-1)-3) , you are multiplying -3 with the whole expression, which eventually will turn out to (-3n+3), that is not equal to what is given. Correct me if I am wrong
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 25

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 02:39
Bunuel wrote:
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

I took the picking numbers method but I want to understand yours as well.
I understand that n (n+1), n (n+2), n (n+3)...etc will all have different remainders, and I understand the concept about the different remainders.
I don't understand how you reached this statement: "As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1"
Can you please elaborate on that?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 21162 [0], given: 2534

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 03:11
Expert's post
Skag55 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

I took the picking numbers method but I want to understand yours as well.
I understand that n (n+1), n (n+2), n (n+3)...etc will all have different remainders, and I understand the concept about the different remainders.
I don't understand how you reached this statement: "As for n-4, it will have the same remainder as (n-4)+3=n-1"
Can you please elaborate on that?

n-1=(n-4)+3. Now, since 3 IS divisible by 3, then the remainder when (n-4)+3 is divided by by 3 is the same as n-4 is divided by 3.

For example, say n=11:
The remainder when n-1=11-1=10 divided by 3 is 1.
The remainder when n-4=11-4=7 divided by 3 is also 1.

Does this make sense?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 25

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 03:18
Bunuel wrote:
n-1=(n-4)+3. Now, since 3 IS divisible by 3, then the remainder when (n-4)+3 is divided by by 3 is the same as n-4 is divided by 3.

For example, say n=11:
The remainder when n-1=11-1=10 divided by 3 is 1.
The remainder when n-4=11-4=7 divided by 3 is also 1.

Does this make sense?

Yes, makes sense now, thanks. So effectively n-4 has the same remainder as n-1, hence we the same result as we get with n, n+1 and n-1 as factors.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 23:03
I think I solved this by luck, as per below, by choosing the only answer where the sum of the digits was divisible by 3. However, testing my method by using another possible answer where the sum of the two digits is divisible by 3, shows that it is not always correct. Best to use the test method with values of n, that are not divisible by 3, in order to eliminate incorrect answer choices.

A) 1+(-4) = -3 - only answer where the sum of the two is divisible by 3.
B) 2+(-1) = 1
C) 3+(-5) = -2
D) 4+(-2) = 2
E) 5+(-6)= 1

Testing another possible answer where the sum of the two ;

n(n+2)(n-5)
2+(-5)=-3
Testing with values for n that are not divisible by 3;

n=7; 7(7+2)(7-5); 7(9)(2) - has a factor divisible by 3
n=8; 8(8+2)(8-5); 8(10)(3) - has a factor divisible by 3
n=10; 10(12)(5) - has factor divisible by 3
n=11; 11(13)(6) - has factor divisible by 3

n(n-6)(n+3) -6+3=-3
n=7 ; 7(1)(10) not divisible by 3
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 21

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 08:27
Bunuel wrote:
gregspirited wrote:

A. n (n+1) (n-4)
B. n (n+2) (n-1)
C. n (n+3) (n-5)
D. n (n+4) (n-2)
E. n (n+5) (n-6)

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

Why is the highlighted part important? Is that just another way of saying that at least one of the numbers in this sequence is divisible by 3. Correct?

Additionally, I see the correlation you made between n-4 and n-1(both leave a remainder of 1) but by that token, shouldn't (n+1) or (n) leave a remainder of 2 and 1 respectively? Meaning, (11+1) = 12/3 = no remainder and n (11) leaves a remainder of 2. So now we have remainders of 1,2,3 and therefore a consecutive set of integers. Is that the reason we want three different remainders?
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following   [#permalink] 25 May 2014, 08:27