Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5368 [0], given: 165

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 00:16
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

In my opinion, using logic is almost always better than plugging in. Plugging in is full of possibilities of making mistakes - incorrect calculation, not considering all possibilities, getting lost in the options etc.

Logic is far cleaner.

I know that talking about positive integers, in any set of 3 consecutive positive integers, one integer will be divisible by 3 and the other 2 will not be.

So I am looking for 3 consecutive positive integers e.g. (n-1)n(n+1)

Note that (n-4) is equivalent to (n-1) since if (n-4) is divisible by 3, so is (n-1). If (n-4) is not divisible by 3, neither is (n-1) (because the difference between these two integers is 3)
Hence (A) is equivalent to 3 consecutive integers.
Answer (A)

On same lines, note that n is equivalent to (n-3), (n + 3), (n + 6) etc.

Responding to a pm:

As said here, I prefer to use logic rather than number plugging. Number plugging is usually the last resort. Given above is the logical solution to this problem. For more on this topic, check:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/09 ... c-or-math/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/09 ... h-part-ii/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 05:42

In my opinion, using logic is almost always better than plugging in. Plugging in is full of possibilities of making mistakes - incorrect calculation, not considering all possibilities, getting lost in the options etc.

Logic is far cleaner.

I know that talking about positive integers, in any set of 3 consecutive positive integers, one integer will be divisible by 3 and the other 2 will not be.

So I am looking for 3 consecutive positive integers e.g. (n-1)n(n+1)

Note that (n-4) is equivalent to (n-1) since if (n-4) is divisible by 3, so is (n-1). If (n-4) is not divisible by 3, neither is (n-1) (because the difference between these two integers is 3)
Hence (A) is equivalent to 3 consecutive integers.
Answer (A)

On same lines, note that n is equivalent to (n-3), (n + 3), (n + 6) etc.

Responding to a pm:

As said here, I prefer to use logic rather than number plugging. Number plugging is usually the last resort. Given above is the logical solution to this problem. For more on this topic, check:

Thanks. Even I was looking forward to logic to save some time on the real exam
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 09:37
I wish someone would solve this question step by step.
Expert Post

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:34
Expert's post
JaJaIrie wrote:
I wish someone would solve this question step by step.

That's the point - there are no steps here. There is no process you have to follow. You just need to understand the logic and you will have your answer.

Check Bunuel's explanation here: if-n-is-an-integer-greater-than-6-which-of-the-following-mu-139279.html#p1123734
and my explanation here: if-n-is-an-integer-greater-than-6-which-of-the-following-mu-139279.html#p1242663

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 04:00
Dear Bunuel,

"Now, to guarantee that at least one multiple is divisible by 3, these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3"

Why is this? Why the numbers must have different reminders?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5368 [1] , given: 165

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
khairilthegreat wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

"Now, to guarantee that at least one multiple is divisible by 3, these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3"

Why is this? Why the numbers must have different reminders?

Any positive number will take one of three forms: 3m, (3m+1) or (3m+2) i.e. either it will be divisible by 3, will leave remainder 1 or will leave remainder 2 when divided by 3. If the number takes the form 3m, the number after it is of the form 3m+1 and the one after it is of the form 3m+2.

If we have 3 consecutive numbers such as a, (a+1), (a+2), we know for sure that at least one of them is divisible by 3 since one of them will be of the form 3m. We don't know which one but one of them will be divisible by 3.

So given numbers such as (n-1)*n*(n+1), we know that the product is divisible by 3.
In the given options, we don't know whether n is divisible by 3 or not. We need to look for the option which has 3 consecutive numbers i.e. in which the terms leave a remainder of 0, 1 and 2 to be able to say that the product will be divisible by 3.

Note a product such as n(n+3)(n+6). When this is divided by 3, we cannot say whether it is divisible or not because all three factors will leave the same remainder, 1.
Say n = 4. Product 4*7*10. All these factors are of the form 3m+1. We don't have any 3m factor here.
So we need the factors to have 3 different remainders so that one of them is of the form 3m.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 02:17
Thanks Karishma,
It is clear now.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 04:45
(n-4)+3=n-1

How to conclude on this ?
Expert Post

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 20:43
Expert's post
ygdrasil24 wrote:
(n-4)+3=n-1

When talking about 'divisibility by 3', (n - 4) and (n - 1) are of the same form. This means that if (n-1) is divisible by 3, so is (n - 4). If (n-1) leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, so does (n-4). If (n-1) leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3, so does (n-4). the reason for this is that (n-1) and (n-4) have a difference of 3 between them.

If (n-4) = 5, (n-1) = 8. Both leave remainder 2 when divided by 3
If (n-4) = 6, (n-1) = 9. Both leave remainder 0 when divided by 3
If (n-4) = 7, (n-1) = 10. Both leave remainder 1 when divided by 3

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 00:44
ygdrasil24 wrote:
(n-4)+3=n-1

When talking about 'divisibility by 3', (n - 4) and (n - 1) are of the same form. This means that if (n-1) is divisible by 3, so is (n - 4). If (n-1) leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, so does (n-4). If (n-1) leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3, so does (n-4). the reason for this is that (n-1) and (n-4) have a difference of 3 between them.

Okay. Thanks. Its a bit awkward to get the logic initially. usually when asked for division by 3, i would look for a 3N type number. If the question had , say, to check for 4, then in that case we should be having 4 multipliers of n something like N(N-2)(N+3)(N-4) and so on ? So that we can have remainders as 0,1,2,3
Expert Post

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 03:35
Expert's post
ygdrasil24 wrote:
ygdrasil24 wrote:
(n-4)+3=n-1

Okay. Thanks. Its a bit awkward to get the logic initially. usually when asked for division by 3, i would look for a 3N type number. If the question had , say, to check for 4, then in that case we should be having 4 multipliers of n something like N(N-2)(N+3)(N-4) and so on ? So that we can have remainders as 0,1,2,3

When considering division by 4, N and N-4 are the same thing.
We would be looking for a product such as N(N+1)(N+2)(N+3) or (N-1)N(N+1)(N-2) (since N-1 is the same as N+3 and N-2 is the same as N+2 so this product is same as the first product) etc
Check out:

The logic is explained in detail in these 2 posts.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 04:33
OK Thanks :), Can I subscribe to get updates from your blog?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5368 [1] , given: 165

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ygdrasil24 wrote:
OK Thanks :), Can I subscribe to get updates from your blog?

Sure. You can subscribe to our blog through Twitter/Facebook/Email/News Readers

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/
Check out these options in the 'Connect With Veritas Prep' box on this page

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
WE: Architecture (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 15:50
Try with 1, and that will limit us to option A & D.
Alternatively, looking at all the options, only A will result to 3. This is how I did
1. N+1 + N -4 = 2n-3 (Any no. will give a multiple of 3).
2. N-1 + N+2 = 2n+1
3. N-5 + N+3 = 2n-2
4. N-2 + N+4 = 2n +2
5. N-6 + N+5 = 2n -1

*not sure if this is correct method.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 17:50
multiplication of three consecutive numbers is always divisible by 3,
i.e (n-1)*n*(n+1) or n*(n+1)*(n+2) or (n-2)*(n-1)*n
check the option that represents any of the above types.

a) satisfies (n-1)*n*(n+1) condition (n-4)= (n-1) because difference of both is 3
for verification substitute n=13, 14, 19, 10
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 10:00
Multiple brilliant answers in this wonderful forum... as always. However... I found a way that I -personally- understood better, and a way I think I can use in a time-constrained manner in the actual exams.

According to GMAT materials, the ways where an integer can be divided by 3 are
1) when the sum of the integer DIGITS is divisible by 3
2) the integer have multiple of 3's
3) a consecutive set of 3 integers can be divisible by both 2 and 3 (factor foundation rule)

There are two ways to solve this
1) Plugging in: Undoubtedly, plugging in numbers to the 5 options below is perhaps the simplest and easiest way to answer this question. To save time on computation, using the sum of integer DIGITS may accelerate your process, or looking for multiples of 3s. For example:
Option A: n(n + 1)(n - 4) = 7(7 +1)(7 - 4) = (7)(8)(3)

2) Look for patterns
Given the answer options, which are adjusting the position of n on the number lines, another way is to scan if any of these answer choices provide clues to consecutive numbers.

In Option (A): we have a partial consecutive set of N, N+1. It looks like it is missing a N+2 or N-1. OR is it?
Now look closer at (N-4). From a consecutive set perspective, (N-4) is also the same "position" as (N-1)
Therefore this answer choice has N, N+1 and N-1. This is a consecutive set that is both divisible by 2 and 3.

All other options will not have such a relationship:
Option (B) n(n + 2)(n – 1):
We have N, N+2, and (N-1 or N+3....). Therefore missing N+1 to make a consecutive set

Option (C) n(n + 3)(n – 5)
We have N, N+3, and (N-5 or N-2 or N+1....) Therefore missing N+2 to make a consecutive set

Option (D) n(n + 4)(n – 2)
We have N, N+4 and (N-2, N+1, N+4...). Therefore missing N+2 to make a consecutive set

Option (E) n(n + 5)(n – 6)
We have N, N+5 and (N-6, N-3, N, N+3....). Therefore missing N+2 to make a consecutive set
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 10:02
Multiple brilliant answers in this wonderful forum... as always. However... I found a way that I -personally- understood better, and a way I think I can use in a time-constrained manner in the actual exams.

Concept
According to GMAT materials, the ways where an integer can be divided by 3 are
1) when the sum of the integer DIGITS is divisible by 3
2) the integer have multiple of 3's
3) a consecutive set of 3 integers can be divisible by both 2 and 3 (factor foundation rule)

There are two ways to solve this
1) Plugging in: Undoubtedly, plugging in numbers to the 5 options below is perhaps the simplest and easiest way to answer this question. To save time on computation, using the sum of integer DIGITS may accelerate your process, or looking for multiples of 3s. For example:
Option A: n(n + 1)(n - 4) = 7(7 +1)(7 - 4) = (7)(8)(3)

2) Look for patterns
Given the answer options, which are adjusting the position of n on the number lines, another way is to scan if any of these answer choices provide clues to consecutive numbers.

In Option (A): we have a partial consecutive set of N, N+1. It looks like it is missing a N+2 or N-1. OR is it?
Now look closer at (N-4). From a consecutive set perspective, (N-4) is also the same "position" as (N-1)
Therefore this answer choice has N, N+1 and N-1. This is a consecutive set that is both divisible by 2 and 3.

All other options will not have such a relationship:
Option (B): n(n + 2)(n – 1):
We have N, N+2, and (N-1 or N+3....). Therefore missing N+1 to make a consecutive set

Option (C): n(n + 3)(n – 5)
We have N, N+3, and (N-5 or N-2 or N+1....) Therefore missing N+2 to make a consecutive set

Option (D): n(n + 4)(n – 2)
We have N, N+4 and (N-2, N+1, N+4...). Therefore missing N+2 to make a consecutive set

Option (E): n(n + 5)(n – 6)
We have N, N+5 and (N-6, N-3, N, N+3....). Therefore missing N+2 to make a consecutive set
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2014, 10:02