Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If ninety percent of the expected number of managers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

If ninety percent of the expected number of managers [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 23:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:59) correct 60% (00:50) wrong based on 96 sessions
If ninety percent of the expected number of managers attended a conference, how many managers attended the conference?

(1) No more than ninety percent of all managers were expected to attend the conference

(2) 7 managers did not attend the conference

Source: Master Gmat 18 Q in sample test
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 13

Re: managers at a party [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 23:35
BlueRobin wrote:
If ninety percent of the expected number of managers attended a conference, how many managers attended the conference?

(1) No more than ninety percent of all managers were expected to attend the conference

I think the wording are more important here...
90% of expected number of manager

st1: no more than 90% .. can be 50% -- can be 89%......... insufficient
st2: 7 manager dint come ... dont get mistaken by assuming this is 10%( 100- 90%). 90% is of the expected managers... insufficient

1&2 : we still dont know how many managers were expected..
suppose there are 100 managers.. 7 dint come = 93.
we expected 80 to come for conference. the question stem says 90% of these 80 manager came .. = 72.
so this number(72) can change dependending upon other parameters.

hence E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: managers at a party [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 23:39
1) Max 90% of all manageres expected. If 90% of that maximum showed up it states that max 81% of the expected showed up. But it's a maximum so it could easily also be just 50% we don't know - Insufficient
2) 7 did not attend but that does not give any information on the rest

1+2) Since we don't know the actual number of managers that were really expected to be present, you can't really tell how much managers showed up even though you know 7 managers were not present. For example if it would be exactly 90% that was expected and thus 90% of them showed up, you would know that 81% showed up leaving 19% that didnt and you could relate those 7 managers to that 19% and come up with a total of around 37 managers. Right now, you're not sure so E is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 15

Re: managers at a party [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 09:48
Quote:

From statement 1
Let total no. of managers be x.
a maximum of 0.9x managers were expected to attend.
at max, 0.9(0.9x) managers attended.
Insufficient

From statement 2
We do not know the number of managers expected to attend. Unable to derive any concrete values with given info.
Insufficient.

Statement 1 + 2
We are not sure how many percent of total managers attended the conference. It can be anywhere between 0% to 90%.
As such, knowing the number of managers who did not attend is insufficient for us to derive answer.
Insufficient.

Answer: E

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 15

Re: managers at a party [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 09:51
Quote:

From statement 1
no actual values to work with. Unable to derive number of managers who attended.
Insufficient

From statement 2
We do not know the number of managers expected to attend. Unable to derive any concrete values with given info.
Insufficient.

Statement 1 + 2
We are not sure what is the actual percentage/number of managers expected to attend the conference. It can be anywhere between 0% to 90%.
As such, knowing the number of managers who did not attend is insufficient for us to derive answer.
Insufficient.

Answer: E

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: managers at a party [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 19:45
I chose C mistaking that Stat1 is absolute. If Stat1 did not say "No more than", then would I be able to say that 1+2 is sufficient?

Thx
CEO
CEO
Followers: 223

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If ninety percent of the expected number of managers [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 00:01
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 580

Kudos [?]: 2373 [0], given: 32

Re: If ninety percent of the expected number of managers [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 15:30
Expert's post
arcanis2000 wrote:
I chose C mistaking that Stat1 is absolute. If Stat1 did not say "No more than", then would I be able to say that 1+2 is sufficient?

Thx

Dear arcanis2000,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Because we are dealing with people, it would be impossible for both percents to equal 90% and for the number of managers not coming to equal only 7. You see, when the prompt says, "ninety percent of the expected number of managers attended a conference," that's not 90%, rounded to the nearest whole number. It actually means exactly, mathematically, 90%. In other words, the number of expected managers must be divisible by 10, and 9/10 of them came to the conference, and 1/10 didn't. It also must be true that
(1/10)* (expected number) + (those not expected) = 7
For example, consistent with this statement:
16 managers, ten expected to go, 9 of the expected went, and 7 didn't attend. Expected/whole = 10/16 = 5/8 = .625, lower than 90%
25 managers, 20 expected to go, 18 of the expected went, and 7 didn't attend. Expected/whole = 20/25 = 0.8, lower than 90%
34 managers, 30 expected to go, 27 of the expected went, and 7 didn't attend. Expected/whole = 30/34 ---
Is 30/34 less than 90%? Well, 1/10 of 34 is 3.4, and 30 is less than (34 - 3.4), so it's below 90%.
43 managers, 40 expected to go, 36 of the expected went, and 7 didn't attend. Expected/whole = 40/43 ---
Is 40/43 less than 90%? Well, 1/10 of 43 is 4.3, and 40 is more than (43 - 4.3), so it's more than 90%.

You see, none of these had the percent of expected/whole equal precisely 90%. In order for both percents to equal precisely 90%, the total number of managers would have to be a multiple of 100. Say:
Total managers = 100
Percent expected to do = 90
Percent of the expected who went = 81
Number who didn't go = 100 - 81 = 19
Any multiple of this scenario would require that the number who didn't go be a multiple of 19. That's inconsistent with this scenario, which is why both percents can equal precisely 90 at the same time.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: If ninety percent of the expected number of managers   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2014, 15:30